View Single Post
Old Saturday 23rd September 2017, 06:38   #453
Owen Krout

Sep-20

The excellent weather made a good excuse to make a trip to the Gedalou Reservoir. Total numbers were low, but at least there was a decent variety. The large numbers of herons/egrets that I have seen in the past at this time of year were not present despite there being several fish ponds that had been recently drained and would have been good feeding areas. The wife and I had an argument over the two Grey Heron that we spotted as she was insisting that they were green. Not looking green to me and not being able to think of what would be green just ended up with us sounding like an old married couple, which we are. Turned out after downloading the images we figured out that my neutral tint polarized sunglasses were giving me a pretty true color and not so much her fashionable and colored sunglasses. I did spot what I am sure by size and good look in the bins were a couple of Great White Egret, but they were in the rice fields across the main road running north of the lake. The Litttle Egret showed the yellow feet in flight and the long leg extension showed the legs to be too long for Chinese Egret/Swinhoe's.

The only birds with large numbers were Barn Swallow who were in two large flocks almost a kilometer apart that were splashing down on the surface of ponds to bathe and then perching on electric wires to dry off and preen. I made a large number of tries but only managed one decent shot of a Swallow just before it hit the water.

Gedalou Reservoir, Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Sep 20, 2017 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 kilometer(s)
11 species

Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata) 2
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 1
Gray Heron (Ardea cinerea) 2
Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) 2
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 1
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) 4
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 8
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 2
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 5
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 240 Two large flocks about a kilometer apart. Both flocks were splashing down onto the surface of ponds and perching on the overhead wires to preen and dry off.
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 30

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39306097
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Egret.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	640521  Click image for larger version

Name:	NT4A6524.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	459.5 KB
ID:	640522  Click image for larger version