• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steve's paintings (1 Viewer)

Nice pics and good Web site Steve. My personal preference is dump the frames the pictures are crackers & can stand alone:t:

Back from a short business trip and thought I would post my first attempt into our duck stamp competition here in Canada (deadline was this past week).

The Canadian competition doesn't have the strict rules of many of the U.S. ones (specific species, etc..) so I chose Canvasback ducks as I had a number of good reference photos to use. These are among my favourite ducks and we usually see a few of them each year in late winter/early spring as they pass through on their way to their breeding grounds in the far north.

The ref photos for this painting were a group of photos I had of a female who was sort of dozing on a log as a male stayed very close by, likely a new pairing as they usually choose their mates at this time of year.

Steve

Attachments

• Canvasback Pair - Springtime (50%).jpg
    Canvasback Pair - Springtime (50%).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 89
Thanks guys!

I am very keen on hearing how I do in the judging, though the timeline for it isn't clear so I may have a bit of wait before I hear. |:D|

Hello All,

I haven't posted in a bit, been working hard on my entry for the Wildlife Habitat Canada duck stamp that I need to ship out at the end of this month. I was very excited about being invited to compete this year, I believe only ~20 artists were invited into last year's competition. You can get more info on the competition here: http://www.whc.org/en/programs/art-competition

The species this year is the Cinnamon Teal, a species whose range is quite a bit west of me unfortunately. Luckily though, I have a couple friends out west who sent me some reference pictures to work with. Of course I cannot post my entry here but the contest did get me to update my website and create a facebook page, something I had been putting off far too long!

Steve

Hello again all,

Since I have a VERY hard time working on just one painting for days (or weeks in this case) |:D|, I took some time off from my duck stamp entry and worked on a smaller painting I have been wanting to do.

This is one of my favourite ducks to watch, the Common Goldeneye. My son and I see them often when birding in the winter as they are common on the Great Lakes in Ontario during the colder months. I called this one "Up From a Dive". It is acrylic on hardboard, 21cm x 28cm (8 1/2" x 11").

Attachments

• Up From a Dive - Common Goldeneye.jpg
    Up From a Dive - Common Goldeneye.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 101
Hello again all!

I am pretty excited as I just sold my first painting in many years (since I 'restarted' painting).

A gentleman saw my facebook page and contacted me and funnily enough wanted to purchase the Orchard Oriole painting that I started this thread with! He actually inquired about prints but since I have yet to find a good local print shop, I let him know it may be awhile at which point he asked if the original was available. So I carefully packaged it off and shipped it last week.

Today I got news it arrived safe and sound and is off to his framer. Nice feeling. |=)|

Thanks,
Steve

congratulations on the sale, I love the way your goldeneye pic has the pattern on the bird repeating in the wave behind.

Thanks for the kinds words everyone. Yes, it is definitely a confidence boost.

Nick - thanks for the comment on the Goldeneye and the wave. To be completely honest, that wasn't something I set out to do while working on it but then I did notice it as I finished up! Must have done it subconsciously or something, which is interesting.

Hello again folks,

Thought I would check in again with a recent painting. Bit of background on this one .. another forum I frequent (not art-related) holds an annual Christmas auction to raise money for those members who are less fortunate and/or going through tough times due to job loss, what have you .. I decided this year to contribute a painting to the cause, with all proceeds of the sale going to the folks who need it.

I thought this would be a good time to do a "partner" piece to the painting I started this thread with, this time with the more well-known and strikingly coloured relative of the Orchard Oriole, the Baltimore Oriole. The painting is 8" x 10" and is nearly done, maybe just one/two sessions left in it. The auction closes this Wednesday at midnight and there were quickly a fair number of bids on it, that was very encouraging. Current high bid is $115 US. |:d|

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back