• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Pelagic Species Advice? (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

On Sunday I'm heading down to Cornwall, for what I was originally hoping was going to be the trip in which I'd do a pelagic and finally try to close up the big hole in my British list that is almost all pelagic birds.

Unfortunately, due to a lot of nonsense, I now actually won't be there in any useful capacity on the weekends, which from what I gather is when all the pelagic boat trips take place, which considerably limits my options.

We'll be staying near Trevose Head, so that will offer me a bit of opportunity to try and get some species, but isn't likely to give me the more difficult species.

We're also going to the Minnack theatre on the Thursday afternoon, from which we were intending to arrive early and walk along the coast to Porthgwarra which should offer at least a much better selection, but I understand at a great distance.

The problem with both these options is that I'm limited to binoculars (and my bridge camera) and so probably even getting an ID on something will be very challenging unless I really hit it lucky with the weather.

So basically - any suggestions or advice for seeing any skuas, shearwaters (other than manx) or petrels? Basically anything that might increase odds of getting something resembling an actual view would be appreciated, or indeed, if there are any pelagic boat trips that go from Monday-Wednesday that haven't come up in my own research?

Thanks in advance!

You could just try going out on a fishing boat from Penzance - but be sure to get one that is going somewhere far enough offshore.

Steve

Try Adrian, skipper of the Mermaid II on 07901 731201

There are sometimes evening pelagics from Penzance, often on Tuesdays

cheers, alan

We had good views of sev Cory's Shears from the Scillonian on 11th, also a Sooty and 1000s Manx, and I think Great Shear was also seen.........

Thanks for all the help - following up on a couple of these suggestions at the minute to see if we can fit them in!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back