• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (19 Viewers)

Nosterfield proved to be very productive today:

Nosterfield Quarry:
Lingham Lake - 1 Wood Sandpiper, 2 Avocets, 3 Ruff, 1 Med Gull, 3 LRP
Kiln Lake - 1 Ruff, 3 LRP
Flasks Lake - held nothing of note
Neighbouring field by Freemasons Arms - 1 Little Owl

Nosterfield NR:
Main Lake - 1 Whimbrel, 1 Knot (winter plumage), 2 Egyptian Geese, 23 Pinkfeet over, 3 Med Gulls (2 Summer plumage, 1 coming in), 1 Yellow Wagtail, several LRP (possibly 5)
North Lake - 2 Avocets, 2 Grey Partridges

Cheers for now

Badly need Woodchat for the Yorks list, however they are notorious single day birds around here. If the bird is still there tomorrow there's every chance I will be going to Filey. Stick a gallon of juice in my car and you can come too Ken.

Deeply envious Andy, whereabouts in Filey is the shrike. Just investigating travel options.

Keith, two gallons is yours. Still cheaper than the train option. Last reported on birdguides 16.45, nail-biting time. Correction; that was the time of the report. Bird seen at 15.15

Last edited:
Anybody visiting Wheldrake Ings YWT in the near future please do not use the Tower Hide as it has been badly smashed up by idiots on Easter Sunday. It is, therefore, unsafe at present, with all handrails and the entire south side smashed off and burnt. Very upsetting for some of the Trust staff and volunteers who had only just fixed the damage caused to the same side of the hide last year, possibly inflicted by the same people. If you want to share my anger, check out the photos on my blog. Really unbelievable that anybody could do this.

Jono

Words fail me Jono. :C
Even if the culprits are found, they will get away with a gently slapped wrist and a non-confrontational telling-off, instead of the freakin' thrashing they deserve.

Anybody visiting Wheldrake Ings YWT in the near future please do not use the Tower Hide as it has been badly smashed up by idiots on Easter Sunday. It is, therefore, unsafe at present, with all handrails and the entire south side smashed off and burnt. Very upsetting for some of the Trust staff and volunteers who had only just fixed the damage caused to the same side of the hide last year, possibly inflicted by the same people. If you want to share my anger, check out the photos on my blog. Really unbelievable that anybody could do this.

Jono

Yer on Ken,
Normal Wednesday am stuff first but I'll be ready to go at 9.30 ish.

Anyone who visits Filey early doors tomorrow and sees the bird please ring it in to Birdguides so we know before we set off.

Keith, two gallons is yours. Still cheaper than the train option. Last reported on birdguides 16.45, nail-biting time. Correction; that was the time of the report. Bird seen at 15.15

That is awful Jono. I can think of many responses. Unfortunately on one is printable. The police have presumably been informed. Car access is required to access the site. Lets hope the police monitor cars using that road...

FINALLY, Caught up with Yellow Wags on Hatfield Moors today,a couple of Green Woodpeckers and Meadow Pipits also. A Buzzard was the only raptor seen all afternoon .

Attachments

• IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 59

Jono

Depressing stuff Jono. Sadly, any warm sunny night that coincides with a holiday/weekend seems to be 'party time' on Wheldrake Ings nowadays. Given that Tower Hide is hidden away from the car park then the same ***** must be returning time and time again. No doubt they will have to park their shiny little Corsa in the car park and walk to Tower Hide for their 'enjoyment', so it would be a shame if they returned to find a little bit less ground clearance for that go faster exhaust in the future......

It also appears that eggers have been at large in the LDV recently, so a timely reminder to anyone that visits the site to be vigilant. More importantly, if you find anything of interest please think twice before broadcasting the news to groups such as this and beyond. Eggers only need a whiff of a species' presence and they can work out the rest far better than us birders!

Bit of a depressing post that one!!

Has anyone had Dotterel on their hilltop sites yet ?any info would be welcome as the wife would love to see them (to be honest so would I)
thanks
Pete

Depressing stuff Jono. Sadly, any warm sunny night that coincides with a holiday/weekend seems to be 'party time' on Wheldrake Ings nowadays. Given that Tower Hide is hidden away from the car park then the same ***** must be returning time and time again. No doubt they will have to park their shiny little Corsa in the car park and walk to Tower Hide for their 'enjoyment', so it would be a shame if they returned to find a little bit less ground clearance for that go faster exhaust in the future......

It also appears that eggers have been at large in the LDV recently, so a timely reminder to anyone that visits the site to be vigilant. More importantly, if you find anything of interest please think twice before broadcasting the news to groups such as this and beyond. Eggers only need a whiff of a species' presence and they can work out the rest far better than us birders!

Don't this just make you sick,it seems any reserve is fair game to these b******** nowadays,not sure what the answer is.

Could the vegetation structure be changing over time at Hetchell to favour Blackcaps over Willow Warblers? Is the pollarded stuff and the scrub above the crag denser than a few years ago? Or the understory lower down getting thicker? That said, I would still expect plenty of Willow Warblers between Thorner Lane and the edge of the wood proper, the way I usually walk in.

Interesting thought. There has been quite a lot of work being carried out by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust in Hetchell with the top of the woods having been thinned out quite extensively. A few years ago the area below the crags had been thinned out but this has now grown over more extensively.

My own observations on these effects were the immediate disappearance of Willow Tits, (never common here), the virtual disappearance of Coal Tits and a marked reduction in Treecreeper sightings. Bullfinch numbers have however shot up in Hetchell and also Tree Sparrows are starting to put in an appearance.

My only Willow Warbler records this year have indeed been near the top towards Thorner Lane, an area which hasn't really been managed in any way.

Steve

Last edited:

I reply, with respect to all others who have posted, this is sickening....but at least they are not harming the birds. The joy, for me , of LDV is that i can go down there and lose myself.
We ,or at least I, don't want it to become a managed reserve eg \Blacktoft, lets just all be vigilant, but if the kids are down there at gone dark, what can we do??? CCTV??

Paul

I used to watch Hetchell quite regularly in the 80s and 90s and even back then Willow Warblers were never really seen in any numbers in the woods. They used to favour the old railway line, and I used to get good numbers along here. If you'd like an idea of how many birds were around here 20 years ago in comparison to today, PM me and I'll dig out my old records.

Rest assured there are still good numbers of Willow warblers around!

Dave.

Hi Dave

I agree the old railway track has always been the best spot to see Willow Warblers (at least from that part of the woods that I regularly walk along). I covered the area yesterday, (which is now 3 times in the last 8 days) and not a single WW along the railway track. Given that other observers are seeing plenty of this species elsewhere there must be some subtle change in habitat going on of which I'm not aware.

Steve

Depressing stuff Jono.

Another depressing post...

It's not just eggers to be aware of. I've put a post on my blog about some of the local problems at the minute. This involves thugs chasing ducklings about, birders stood on the roof of a hide causing disturbance to breeding birds and birders stood in the middle of a very sensitive location (this makes the dearly departed Mannix look like a saint!).

So in summary, maybe really consider releasing news of birds (rare or scarce) where there are potentially sensitve species present and potentially breeding. Not all birders have the same regard for birds as you'd hope.

Cheers, Andy

Could anyone help with the ID of this Warbler, didn,t sing too much but did sound Chaffinchesq (if that's a word ) not any evidence of green in colouring which put me off Willow. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1520.JPG
    IMG_1520.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1523.JPG
    IMG_1523.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1525.JPG
    IMG_1525.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread

Back