Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old Tuesday 10th June 2003, 12:25   #26
rogerscoth

Since I posted my thread "Bracket for Cameras without filter thread or are heavy" that described my simple bracket, I have had a change of mind due to this set-up not being too convenient in practice with my digital stills camera. I have designed,and had a polyethylene tube-type adaptor machined (wish I had my own lathe) to suit my Opticron HR66A 'scope used with a Fuji S304 (3800) camera. A stepping-ring is fixed (using epoxy resin adhesive) to the tube, that when fitted to the camera (in place of the lens hood) is simply slid over the 40929 DTL eye-piece.
A synthetic rubber 'o-ring' fitted at the base of the eye-piece holds the adaptor in position by giving a sufficient grip. The adaptor cost 15GBP, and the stepping-ring (from Jessops)3.99GBP .
I have uploaded a picture "New Tubular Adaptor" to "Equipment and Accesories" gallery. Apologies for the picture quality, as it was taken by video camera still facility.

Roger

Last edited by rogerscoth : Tuesday 10th June 2003 at 12:29.
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 19:23   #27
Yelvertoft
Rabbit Fan

Resurrecting an old thread

Hi,

I've finally got my mate with a lathe to knock me up an adaptor to go between my Kowa 663 and Sony DSC-W12. Thought I'd post some info here if anyone else wants to have a go at something similar.

Firstly, I wanted an adaptor that screwed onto the threaded boss on the body at the base of the eyepiece. If anyone else wants to make something like this, the thread is a metric threadform with ouside diameter of 41mm and a pitch of 0.75mm. This is the same thread on the following Kowa models fitted with bayonet eyepieces: TS-601, TSN1-4 series, TSN-600 series, TSN-610 series, TSN-660 series. It may be true for others but I don't know for certain. Using this thread, like the official Kowa DA-1 adaptor, puts the strain on the body, not the eyepiece, which I was concerned about. Being a bayonet fit, I was worried about the eyepiece becoming detached as the load of the camera may cause it to twist off if it was directly attached.

The thread on the camera body was rather more complicated because I couldn't get a thread gauge in there to measure it. I wasn't prepared to pay 30 for the genuine Sony adaptor but found a seller on e-bay flogging "pattern" items for 16 including postage from Florida. On delivery I could see that it was a pattern item for an Olympus C5000, it still fitted the Sony W1/12 body the same, so the camera threads are the same (36mm x 0.75mm pitch?) for both these models. It may have been possible to source something more locally for less if I'd known this.

The camera filter adaptor was turned down to remove the "filter end" thread as this wasn't needed and the remaining tube was press-fitted into the camera side custom made tube (see photo 1). This is a simple tube with a counter-bore to accept the eyepiece. The depth of the bore is such that the rubber eyecup on the 30x wide-angle eyepiece I use can remain in place and the camera lens is free to zoom into the eyecup as needed (see photo 2).

The scope side of the adaptor is a similar counter-bored tube with the 41x0.75 thread in its end. The length of threaded portion is 4mm to avoid standing proud of the threaded boss and fouling the eyepiece (see photo 3). An additional simple spacer sleeve was made to fit over this so that the overall assembly length could be modified as required once assembled (see photo 3). This allows adjustments to be made if the eyepiece is changed for a different length item later on and also allows adjustments to be made by modifying/remaking a simple part rather than having to remake the oddball 41x0.75 threaded item should it be found the measurements were wrong at the final assembly. As it turned out (bad pun) this design adjustment wasn't necessary (see photo 4). The spacer sleeve and scope side of the adaptor are locked together by a grub-screw on the inside (not visible in photos).

The two parts drop together and are held in place by the grub screw that can be seen in the pictures (see photo 5). This allows things to be squared up on the camera screen or rotated portrait/landscape as required before nipping up the grub screw. I'll probably put a knurled thumbscrew in later (B&Q here we come).

The overall length of assembly was made so that the end of the camera lens was only just (<1mm) clear of the eyepiece lens when the lens was at maximum extension, this is when the lens is at max wide angle with the Sony DSC W1/12/5/15. The lens moves in and out about 4mm as the zoom is moved from 1.0x to 3.0x I am pleased to say that I get no vignetting at all over the full range of camera zoom when used with the TSE-14W 30x wide eyepiece.

The overall job is simple for any reasonable machinist as long as they have a lathe with metric screw cutting capability. The 41x0.75 thread is the only difficult part of the job and the machinist will probably want to borrow the scope during this part of the job to ensure it all fits.

The adaptor looks a bit rough and ready due to the chuck marks on the outer tube, but hey, it was made out of bits of scrap aluminium and cost me next to nothing. I'll suffer a bit of rough cosmetic for the sake of saving the cash. For comparison, the official Sony VAD-WA is 30, the official Kowa TSN-DA-1 is 70 and the additional adaptor to mount the two together is another 42. Even accounting for the 16 I paid for the camera filter adaptor, that still buys my mate a lot of beers and leaves me well in pocket.

If you haven't got a mate with a lathe, I'm sure a local machine shop will be able to make you something up for a lot less than the 142 you could pay for the "official" Sony/Kowa setup.

Hope this inspires some people to have a go at making something to suit, not just Kowa/Sony users. It is worth it as you can get something that works ideally for your setup, rather than a compromise to suit a range of different combinations.

Regards,

Duncan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized camera side showing thread.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	20432  Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized camera side attached.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	20433  Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized scope side showing thread.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	20434  Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized scope side attached.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	20435  Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized comple assy.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	20436  

Last edited by Yelvertoft : Tuesday 3rd May 2005 at 20:16. Reason: Tidy up the punctuation and grammar
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 19:46   #28
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Excellent job, Duncan.

I've been humming and hahing about coming up with a bespoke solution for my Canon A95/Zeiss zoom and this is real inspiration.

Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS, TCs.
www.capture-the-moment.co.uk
BF Supporter 2006 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 20:02   #29
Henry B

Nice one Duncan,like it.
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 20:23   #30
IanF

Of course there is a far simpler way!

When I still had my Kowa 823 I put together my own adapter to use the Nikon CP4500 with the 20-60x and 32xWA eyepiece all for no cost at all!

Admitedly from my 35mm days I had lots of bits and pieces laid around.

I simply used four empty 49mm filter holders screwed together - though later also glued in place together with step rings to take it from 28mm to 49mm. I actually found this performed better than using the LCE adapter as it brought the camera closer to the eyepiece so less vignetting. At first I simply used a thin slither of a pencil eraser to hold it in place, but later drilled a hole in the side to mount a knurled headed screw. I used this until I sold the scope!

I guess even buying the bits and pieces separately would work out around 10!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Home made digiscope adapter.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	20445  
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 20:41   #31
Yelvertoft
Rabbit Fan

Hi Ian,

I saw your home-brew adaptor in an earlier posting in the thread and did consider it but didn't want the weight of the camera to be taken by the eyepiece. I was worried that the eyepiece may twist off and the whole lot fall to the ground if I carried it in a "ready to use" state. Also, filter stepping rings are about 4-5 each and I couldn't get any in the 36mm or 41mm sizes for camera and scope ends respectively. As far as I know, no-one makes a 41x0.75 internal threaded ring. I e-mailed srb filters butthey couldn't help with an off the shelf item, only via custom made which I could get done by my friend for less.

Blythkeith,

Please enlighten me, just what is that object you have as your avatar?

Duncan.
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 21:38   #32
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Hi Duncan,

the avatar is a character called "Strongbad", the star of quite the funniest thing on the Internet (IMHO), Strongbad email:
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html

He's a sort of Mexican wrestler to look at, but that's not the point...

I couldn't possibly explain the appeal, but the whole website is a work of genius - have a look!

Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS, TCs.
www.capture-the-moment.co.uk
BF Supporter 2006 2007
Old Wednesday 4th May 2005, 16:39   #33
Robert L Jarvis
Robert L Jarvis

I made my own adapter out of plastic tubing and it cost nothing. I also put it out on this site at my thread Sony DSC to Kowa TSN4 adapter.

Robert
Old Thursday 7th July 2005, 01:48   #34
lima

adaptor 20-60x Kowa 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF
Of course there is a far simpler way!

When I still had my Kowa 823 I put together my own adapter to use the Nikon CP4500 with the 20-60x and 32xWA eyepiece all for no cost at all!

Admitedly from my 35mm days I had lots of bits and pieces laid around.

I simply used four empty 49mm filter holders screwed together - though later also glued in place together with step rings to take it from 28mm to 49mm. I actually found this performed better than using the LCE adapter as it brought the camera closer to the eyepiece so less vignetting. At first I simply used a thin slither of a pencil eraser to hold it in place, but later drilled a hole in the side to mount a knurled headed screw. I used this until I sold the scope!

I guess even buying the bits and pieces separately would work out around 10!
Hi Ian,
Should you remove the rubber ring on the eyepiece before adding the adaptor and should the camera be as close as possible to the eye piece or should there be a gap. I've read about eye relief but don't know how this affects adaptors.
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007
Old Thursday 7th July 2005, 06:46   #35
Grampy Bustard
Forum Member

I use a Marmite jar lid, with a slip of rubber innertube on the inside to make a snug fit over the scope eyepiece, and a hole cut in the top the same diameter as the camera lens. It does mean you have to hold the camera, but then I am more of a birder that takes photos, than a photographer that birds.
Old Thursday 7th July 2005, 06:55   #36
IanF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima
Hi Ian,
Should you remove the rubber ring on the eyepiece before adding the adaptor and should the camera be as close as possible to the eye piece or should there be a gap. I've read about eye relief but don't know how this affects adaptors.
I used to remove the rubber ring and as you say place the adapter as close as possible to the eyepiece. The one I made actually placed the lens closer to the eyepiece than the commerical ones which helped with reducing vignetting. Maybe it suited the eye relief better on this scope. Another thing I did was to place a very thin wedge of pencil eraser down between the eyepeice and the adapter on the side away from the screw. This heped with keeping the adapter centralised over the eyepiece. Even commercial ones sometimes have a tendency to place the camera off-centre.
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Thursday 7th July 2005, 12:51   #37
lima

Thanks Ian and Grampy. The Kowa DA1 adaptor + filter ring adaptor + Zoom extension ring needed for the 20-60x eyepiece is astronomically priced here. Would cost $406!!! Don't know who they expect to pay this.
Old Friday 9th September 2005, 18:01   #38
JERRYF

Hi,
I am new to all this and have big problems in understanding what a I need to do to get ANY results. I recently purchased a relatively inexspensive 20x to 60x scope which came with T2 adapters which I assumed would work, but as it is necessary to remove the eye piece magnifier what is the point? So I am in the process of making my own adapter for my various compact digis and digi slr. it would appear that the key to my plumbing master piece is a 46mm male to 46mm male short threaded tube. Can anybody help??? I have tried with plastic and glue but I am rather concerned that the camera will drop off

Thanks Jerry
Old Friday 9th September 2005, 18:03   #39
JERRYF

Hi,
I am new to all this and have big problems in understanding what a I need to do to get ANY results. I recently purchased a relatively inexspensive 20x to 60x scope that came with T2 adapters which I assumed would work, but as it is necessary to remove the eye piece magnifier what is the point? So I am in the process of making my own adapter for my various compact digis and digi slr. It would appear that the key to my plumbing master piece is a 46mm male to 46mm male short threaded tube. Can anybody help??? I have tried with plastic and glue but I am rather concerned that the camera will drop off

Thanks Jerry
Old Friday 9th September 2005, 20:32   #40
Henry B

Jerry,what scope did you buy and what camera do you own I think we need more info .
Old Thursday 1st November 2007, 18:07   #41
Fido

I'm gonna bump this thread because it's so great and should be a sticky... but also to ask:

Does anyone have a home-made adapter for cameras that do not have threaded lenses?

I saw a design that looks possible to built at home here:

http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/s...ackets-8-c.asp

But I'm afraid if I just use clamps and L-brackets the whole thing will be too flimsy.

Oh well, guess, I should just go try it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blue swing out 1(1).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	111943  
Old Thursday 1st November 2007, 22:51   #42
lima

Fido
http://www.laurencepoh.com/static/digiscoping.shtml
shows his adaptor but camera is hand held.
Old Friday 2nd November 2007, 02:47   #43
JohnJos

Hello!

Here's my attempt at making my own adapter. It consists of two nested PVC plumbing adapters and four nylon screws purchased for pennies at Home Depot, a 37mm-52mm step-up ring purchased from ebay for $3, and a filter mount for digital cameras without threads that was also purchased on ebay for about $20. Plus some careful measurements and work with a Dremel tool.

Works like a charm on my Vortex Skyline 80 scope with a 20-60 zoom lens using a Fujifilm F31fd digital camera. Just loosen the two screws with the black markings and it pops right off the eyepiece. The zoom is available for use as well. I can post a few more photos of the adapter if requested.

I made this adapter as a temporary piece until Vortex makes their Mk1 QR Digital Adapter available. But I've been waiting for some time now and my homemade piece works quite nicely so I may forego the Mk1 unless it looks like it will do a better job and be quicker to remove and reinstall during digiscoping in the field.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5571.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	112015  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5573.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	112016  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5574.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	112017  
Old Friday 2nd November 2007, 11:02   #44
JohnJos

Here's a link to the digital camera filter/lens adapter on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220076043479
Ships from Hong Kong but arrived via airmail within 10 days.
Good quality build.
Old Friday 2nd November 2007, 11:14   #45
NoSpringChicken

That's a cracking bit of work John nice and simple but looks very effective. The filter mount looks similar to the FoxFoto one with knobs instead of slot headed bolts for adjustment.

I see you also have a Kaiser lcd shade. Does that work all right? How does it attach to the camera when you are already using the tripod mount hole?

Ron
BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012
Old Friday 2nd November 2007, 12:47   #46
JohnJos

Thanks Ron. It took some time and a bit of adjustments to trim back the PVC to get the correct lens to eyepiece distance of 1 to 2 mm. The adapter is nicely made and simple. The front knob is a large-headed slotted screw you can hand-tighten but really needs to be secured using a screwdriver. The bottom knob is a large knob that you can hand-tighten easily provides for a tripod mount as well.

The lcd shade was purchase at a local electronics big-box store (Circuit City). I'm not sure how readily available they are outside the US. It is a two piece unit with a base frame that attaches to the camera with double-sided tape (yuk) and the flip-out shade portion that slide-snaps on to the base frame, The base frame has a clear plastic lcd protector built in. It works Ok so far.

I will be putting the adapter to the test this weekend when I go down to Cape May, New Jersey for some migratory bird observations. I'll report back afterwards.

I have used it to take these two photos last week.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99890
These were taken near dusk on max zoom (60x) as I recall. Not the best but good considering the conditions. The Red-tailed hawk was maybe 150-200 yards (meters) away.
Old Friday 2nd November 2007, 13:00   #47
NoSpringChicken

John, this is the Kaiser lcd shade I was referring to. I don't know the one you are using. The Kaiser version uses the tripod mount to attach it, which is a problem if that is already being used by a camera adapter. It's a pity really, as it looks a well made piece of kit.

http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...p?artikel=6074

Ron
Old Friday 2nd November 2007, 13:46   #48
JohnJos

Thanks Ron

Here's the manufacturer's link to my lcd shade:
http://www.delkin.com/products/popupshades/

I bought the 2.5 inch universal lcd shade for point-and-shoot compact digital cameras. They sell for $20 on-line and at the local camera chain shop (Ritz) but Circuit City was selling them for $10.

A "non-residue" adhesive is used to attach the base frame so no need for the tripod mount to be used. The Hong-Kong filter/lens adapter has a wide range of reconfigurability so it probably could work together with the Kaiser shade if that unit has a pass-thru for the tripod mount screw.
Old Friday 2nd November 2007, 13:57   #49
del69
expat in BG

Hi all i made mine from odd bits of plastic and a bit off black spray paint,
check out my link to see pictures of my adapter.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=98221
Old Friday 2nd November 2007, 14:14   #50
NoSpringChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by del69 View Post
Hi all i made mine from odd bits of plastic and a bit off black spray paint,
check out my link to see pictures of my adapter.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=98221
Hi Del,

That's another simple, ingenious design which looks very light. It assume it just pushes onto the eyepiece and is held there by friction?

Good to see a different camera being used apart from the usual Nikons and Fujis. The results look very good.

Ron
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: