Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 9th July 2008, 18:17   #26
AlexC
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Wow, a fascinating thread but it needs a snappier title--how about "Night of the Anal-Retentives"?
I have a better idea. You should start your own forum, be your own moderator, and make up your own policies.

Until then, this is what the mods say, and its with good reason. So chill, broseph - or in the words of the smileys, smoke-beer-hippy.
Latest '14er: Brown Creeper (289/286 ABA; 254/249 CA; 225/220 LA Co.).
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 9th July 2008, 18:58   #27
fugl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
I have a better idea. You should start your own forum, be your own moderator, and make up your own policies.

Until then, this is what the mods say, and its with good reason. So chill, broseph - or in the words of the smileys, smoke-beer-hippy.
Start my own forum? That's a little harsh, isn't it? Since when is it verboten to poke fun at BF "policies"? I think you need to acquire some perspective on all this.

Who (or what) is "broseph"?
BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Wednesday 9th July 2008, 19:29   #28
AlexC
Opus Editor

Quote:
Start my own forum? That's a little harsh, isn't it? Since when is it verboten to poke fun at BF "policies"? I think you need to acquire some perspective on all this.

Who (or what) is "broseph"?
If the tongue smiley didn't give it away, I was just kidding around. "Broseph" is joke-slang for "bro" (intended to rhyme with the name "Joseph"), short for "brother", synonym with "buddy" or "friend".
Latest '14er: Brown Creeper (289/286 ABA; 254/249 CA; 225/220 LA Co.).
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Wednesday 9th July 2008, 20:32   #29
fugl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
If the tongue smiley didn't give it away, I was just kidding around. "Broseph" is joke-slang for "bro" (intended to rhyme with the name "Joseph"), short for "brother", synonym with "buddy" or "friend".
Fair enough. I'm not particularly "smiley literate", I'm afraid, and sometimes find it difficult to tell whether or not they're being used passive-aggressively. All the best.

Last edited by fugl : Wednesday 9th July 2008 at 22:39.
Old Wednesday 9th July 2008, 22:27   #30
mccpack

Wink

Good call from Nevada!
Old Wednesday 9th July 2008, 22:39   #31
danehower
Forum Member

Not sure why it is such a big deal to put the location down ? Personally I don't like the "box of chocolates " theory of posting ID's.
Old Wednesday 9th July 2008, 22:56   #32
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by danehower View Post
Not sure why it is such a big deal to put the location down ? Personally I don't like the "box of chocolates " theory of posting ID's.
I agree. It is a simple, easy to comply with request. Seeking to suppress the request is arguably more "anal-retentive" than making it.

Best,
Jim
BF Supporter 2013
Old Wednesday 9th July 2008, 23:31   #33
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

I agree, location helps in determining a bird's identity but you've got to understand that a newbie looking for an i d is daunted enough when they come upon BF. It's a huge forum. Come on. Think back to when you first joined. Most regulars now seem to adhere to the request of location but you really have to cut some slack on the newbies.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Thursday 10th July 2008, 00:03   #34
danehower
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFoggin View Post
I agree, location helps in determining a bird's identity but you've got to understand that a newbie looking for an i d is daunted enough when they come upon BF. It's a huge forum. Come on. Think back to when you first joined. Most regulars now seem to adhere to the request of location but you really have to cut some slack on the newbies.
yeah - I hear that. But I doubt it is just a newbie thing.
LOL - deja vu ..? All over again...?
Old Thursday 10th July 2008, 00:03   #35
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
I am not sure where this statement is coming from. Nobody is suggesting newbies be chastised or scolded or singled out or hung by their thumbs for not putting the location in the thread title. There is simply a desire to inform them of the policy -- just as you gently inform people of the law when they ask what to do with baby or injured birds.

Moreover, the point of putting the location in the thread title is not to assist in identifying the bird. That would be accomplished just as well by putting the location in the body of the text. The point is to make it easier for people to better navigate to thread topics they might want to contribute to.

Best,
Jim
BF Supporter 2013
Old Thursday 10th July 2008, 00:05   #36
fugl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moore
Seeking to suppress the request is arguably more "anal-retentive" than making it.

Best,
Jim
Possibly so (though I'd be curious to hear this argument), but no one here wants to "suppress the request". As far as I can see the furthest that anyone's gone on this & the other thread is to laugh at all the solemn fuss some people have been making over this trifling matter.
Old Thursday 10th July 2008, 00:08   #37
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

Ah, but seldom does someone who is inquiring what to do with a baby bird seldom comes back after there question has been answered so we know to try and give them the best possible answer for the short term and hopefully instill in them to leave nature well enough alone in most cases.

All I'm trying to get across here is that we cater to nature lovers of all levels so sometimes patience is a virtue here and much appreciated by a new comer.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Thursday 10th July 2008, 00:10   #38
danehower
Forum Member

Quote:
Possibly so (though I'd be curious to hear this argument), but no one here wants to "suppress the request". As far as I can see the furthest that anyone's gone on this & the other thread is to laugh at all the solemn fuss some people have been making over this trifling matter.
Just a simple request I thought ! And a good one at that. I like laughing about it too though!
Old Thursday 10th July 2008, 00:16   #39
dantheman
Sweet ... !!

Quote:
All I'm trying to get across here is that we cater to nature lovers of all levels so sometimes patience is a virtue here and much appreciated by a new comer.
And hope that if they've come this far in and are reading these threads discussing the minutae of how a****** retentive or not it is to talk about whether newbies should . . oops I'm doing it as well . . .

Anyway, agree, also hope that those who might be inclined to stick around do so and don't get put off too much.

Advertisement
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: