• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newport Wetlands NNR (1 Viewer)

there are a few cygnets at the moment on the new pool near the visitor centre, i am sure they would make a nice picture. as for your warblers, you need to get to grips with the songs. reed and sedge would be in the reeds and cetti's usually in the scrub but are also in the reeds. a good resource is the RSPB website, which got good recording of songs. heres a link for cettis, one of the easiest songs to recognise. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/cettiswarbler/index.asp

Newport Wetlands Open Day

Sunday 13th July.
There will be plenty of stalls to visit and events going on throughout the day. CCW, RSPB, GWT, GOS, Newport City Council, Goldcliff Ringing Group, Gwent Badger Group, Swan Rescue, Newport West Guides will all be attending. It starts at 11am and finnishes at 4pm.

The Opus article for this site is now complete.

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Newport_Wetlands

Also, the bird life at the reserve at present is amazing! If you veiw from the sea wall at the end of Boat Lane, you can get great veiws of thousands of waders roosting at high tide each day.

Hi Luke

Thanks so much for that - the article is looking super now. It's really appreciated.

I suppose I owe you that hot choccy8-P

D

Just an update on some sightings over the past couple of weeks.

A Female Marsh Harrier seems to be wintering on the site favouring the areas between Boat lane and Saltmarsh Lane but occasionally goes up onto the reedbeds in the mornings and evenings. Wader numbers seem to be quite good including about 300 Black tailed godwits and thousands of Dunlin.

The starling roost is displaying really well at the moment with about 35,000 roosting in the most eastern reedbeds. The are best veiwed from the wooden gate as you come near to the copse.

There is also a Walk at the reserve this Sunday starting at 2:30 meeting at the main reserve carpark. This is a good opportunity to see the starlings if your not familiar with the layout of the reserve.

Unfortunatly the Starlings have now gone elsewhere. I was really hoping they would hang on until the new year as i am leading a Walk there in the 3rd Jan. Fingers crossed for a few good birds to make up for the lack of starlings. The Marsh harrier is still about so that would be nice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back