Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 19th December 2005, 23:16   #1
Willowy1

Konica Minolta Dimage A200

Anyone using this camera?
I need some advice on what kind of lens I need for better bird photography.
I was advised to get at least a 500mm lens, but when I look online for one to fit this camera, there aren't any?
Helllllllllllllllp!!! I'm not very technically minded, but I would like to get better shots from further away.
Primarily I bought the camera for it's macro capabilities when I need to get good shots of bats, but I also need the distance for birds.
Any help given, I would be extremely grateful
Jo
Old Wednesday 21st December 2005, 18:18   #2
Leicaman

Unfortunately your Dimage A200 has a fixed lens 28-200mm and I'm assuming that your advice to get a 500mm lens is referring to SLR type cameras like the 5D and 7D where you can change the lens attached to the camera body. According to Konica-Minolta's brochure
http://www.konicaminoltaeurope.com/u...GE_A200_UK.pdf
You can get a teleconverter to give you a maximum of 300mm but that's it.

BF Supporter 2005 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 17:14   #3
digitalbirdy

Lenses for A200

Hello Willowy1
I sometimes use my Minolta D7i, which is an earlier version of the A200 family. I bought a Raynox DCR 2020Pro. Which multiplies the Minolta lense by a factor of 2.2. This gives the camera a 440mm equivalent lense. And it is very good quality.

There is slight vignetting, but for trying to photograph birds or distant objects its fine. For scnery its no use.

Dont buy the cheaper 'video' version, it is not the same quality.
Old Tuesday 27th January 2009, 05:03   #4
BlueRaven

Hi Willowy

I use that exact camera for all of my photography. I use it in conjunction with a Scopetronix Maxview 40 and a special adapter Scopetronix makes for it. Then I attach it to a Meade ETX 90 Spotting Scope. You can look at my gallery to see the results. I don't get DSLR results, but for a fraction of the cost I call it my poor mans DSLR. Anyway, I hope this helps. The A200 is a great camera, and if you get your settings right it can be a good digiscoping camera. The lens is a little wide (49mm), but it can work! Best of luck!

~Blue
Old Tuesday 27th January 2009, 16:13   #5
eastwood

Minolta used to produce some very fine optics. My friend has bought a 10X25 BinocularWR (Roof Prism) for under $200Canadian. The angle of view is a great 6.5 degree. It is bright, sharp and light! I tried to find one, but can only get the 8X25 WR for under $150. Still better than all others I have tried at that price range. It has 6.2 degrees of view. Pity that Minolta has discontinued its optical business.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: