Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 390 votes, 4.95 average.
Old Saturday 9th May 2009, 22:38   #10626
littlebrownthing

Houghton Gate and Dormans

Can anyone give me directions to these two places? Just in case the birds are there tomorrow. Tried at Saltholme but couldn't find the Egret - just seen the news on the Stint.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris (the very enthusiastic amateur :) )
Old Saturday 9th May 2009, 23:43   #10627
FoghornKinghorn
Durham Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebrownthing View Post
Can anyone give me directions to these two places? Just in case the birds are there tomorrow. Tried at Saltholme but couldn't find the Egret - just seen the news on the Stint.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris (the very enthusiastic amateur :) )
I have put the links to the maps of the locations at the bottom. You can zoom in and zoom out on the right hand side this might help you with directions. I am sorry the directions are not that good.
Houghton Gate: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...ay=551207&lm=0
Saltholme Pools RSPB:http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...ay=523226&lm=0
For to get into Dorman's Pool you need to be a Teesmouth Bird Club member I beleive. If this egret is anything like the spoonbill it might move around a bit. Therfore might it might be at Saltholme.

I would zoom in on the Saltholme one, I hope I have been of some help, hope you see the Great White Egret and the Temminck's Stints, If it' still there I shall most likely go down and try to get the Temminck's stint.

Last edited by FoghornKinghorn : Saturday 9th May 2009 at 23:47.
Old Saturday 9th May 2009, 23:57   #10628
Jonathan Hare

Are the Egrets down at the pool by the bridge at Seal Sands, or am I thinking of something else that has bred there.

I was down at Newburn Bridge a couple of days ago, and this little colourful chappie flew around. I managed to grab a shot.

http://www.jhphotos.co.uk/html/may-_aug_2009_19.html

Is this a ordinary one or is it a Northern one.
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 08:13   #10629
Boy Wonder
Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves

Great White Egret at RSPB Saltholme

For anyone thinking of coming down the Great White Egret was present on Back Saltholme at 08:05 this morning and is on the Wet Grassland as of 09:00, viewable from Paddy's Pool Hide. It is quite distant but can show well if not in one of our ditches :) Reserve open from 10:00 - 17:00
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 08:41   #10630
great bustard

Nice One

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
Because;
A I did
B I know what they look like
C I've seen them before
D I don't do photography (very well) or have a long lens
E I was with other birders who confirmed it's identity

With any luck the bird might be there tomorrow, get yourself down and see it for yourself
Don't forget your camera or no-one will believe you
Great find Neil.......

After a day of bird racing we were struggling to find many more birds, especially waders...fancy having one turn up like that!!!!

A life tick as never seen a Temnicks before

Cheers

PS if you find any more birds could you send me a proof picture before i go and have a look for myself

Thanks

Last edited by great bustard : Sunday 10th May 2009 at 08:44.
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 09:03   #10631
woodhornbirder

its been there for 12 hrs.....why no pics yet? )
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 09:31   #10632
NeilF
Durham Bird Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by great bustard View Post

PS if you find any more birds could you send me a proof picture before i go and have a look for myself

Thanks
nice one Ian
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 10:50   #10633
littlebrownthing

Many thanks

Cheers Andrew - at least I know where these places are now!
Unfortunately have to work today :( so will not be able to get out and see the birds. Will have to wait till the next time.

Hope you saw them
Chris
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 11:25   #10634
IanF

Great White Egret still present at 11.55 on Back Saltholme. Still very distant from wherever viewed. Last seen gradually making it's way closer to Paddy's Pool hide.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 12:55   #10635
Jumpin 4 Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Visitor View Post
Whether he saw it or not at least he can spell it.
It is a bit below the belt taking the mick out of a spelling mistake, especially when I am only 14.

Would you be so quick to point out something so trivial as a spelling mistake if I had learning difficulties ? I think not.

I apologise to Neil for 'doubting' him; I would have liked to see a photo of a Teminick's Stint. If you can't see a photo of a bird at your local patch, what can you ask for ?
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 13:35   #10636
Alan Tilmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpin 4 Joy View Post
It is a bit below the belt taking the mick out of a spelling mistake, especially when I am only 14.

Would you be so quick to point out something so trivial as a spelling mistake if I had learning difficulties ? I think not.

I apologise to Neil for 'doubting' him; I would have liked to see a photo of a Teminick's Stint. If you can't see a photo of a bird at your local patch, what can you ask for ?
Sorry I dont think one should discriminate on the basis of age, would you have challenged the sighting had the observer had learning difficulties? Possibly not but then like me you wouldn't have known that assuming you aren't clairvoyant either. You should perhaps concentrate on developing a sense of humour though, oh and you might want to try TEMMINCK'S, third time lucky eh

On a serious note, there is no problem asking for photographs but there is a way of doing it that doesn't cast doubt over someone's sighting on a public forum. You may feel slighted about me highlighting your spelling mistake imagine how another birder feels when you cast doubt over his identification skills on a bird you havent seen.

Last edited by Alan Tilmouth : Sunday 10th May 2009 at 13:52. Reason: add further comments
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 13:43   #10637
Alan Tilmouth

Try this

http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pictu...6&r=1&st=0&q=0
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 14:29   #10638
Jumpin 4 Joy

Quote:
Sorry I dont think one should discriminate on the basis of age
Neither do I. Why did you point out a spelling mistake ? Are you such a pedantic person that you need to point out every mistake ? If we're being so picky, I think you should have an apostrophe on the third word of your sentence.

Quote:
would you have challenged the sighting had the observer had learning difficulties?
Obviously not. You might do, but I don't think learning difficulties are a joking matter. Ask anyone, and they will tell you the same.

Quote:
You may feel slighted about me highlighting your spelling mistake imagine how another birder feels when you cast doubt over his identification skills on a bird you havent seen.
I never doubted his identification skills; I asked for a photo if he had one. Big difference.

'A bird I haven't seen ?' Isn't that a bit of a cheap shot ? Many people my age or older haven't seen a Temminck's Stint (Is that alright ?). Your blog tries to help people see rare birds around the North East so you must be having a go at them. What is the point in trying to help people if you are just going to criticise the birds they haven't seen ? Disappointing.
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 14:55   #10639
Alan Tilmouth

Quote:
Why did you point out a spelling mistake ? Are you such a pedantic person that you need to point out every mistake ?
I pointed it out because I think it is important to spell species names correctly and I think like many readers was slightly amused by the irony of your doubt and your misspelling. Pedantic, yes you'll understand when your over forty, it's a middle age thing.

Quote:
learning difficulties
You introduced this, the relevance is lost on me. You might have these, you might not, I'd still correct your misspelling (or should that be mispelling I'm never sure).

Quote:
I never doubted his identification skills
Quote:
Sorry to sound so doubtful, but what makes you think that you saw a Temnick's Stint
What else were you sounding doubtful about?

Any more, why not PM me as this will be getting boring for everyone else. Cheer up at least you only got the spelling wrong, I've shouted Temminck's before and it's turned out to be dodgy.
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 15:42   #10640
FoghornKinghorn
Durham Recorder

Quote:
Temminck's Stint still present when I left at 4:00. I know its a terrible shot but I have attached a picture that I took through my scope using my Mobile Phone.

Well done to NeilF for finding the bird! Thanks Neil, that's another one for the life and year list

Andrew K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temminck's Stint.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	195925  
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 15:50   #10641
Alan Tilmouth

I think that's one for the mystery bird competition Andrew. I'm pleased I'm not there, I would have had that as an empty Stella Artois can with my eyesight.
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 17:10   #10642
Boy Wonder
Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves

As well as the Great White Egret showing amazingly well from Paddy's Pool Hide (and sometimes not amazingly well) there were also 2 Wood Sandpipers present from about 16:00 onwards. Hopefully all three will stick around till tomorrow and be joined by something else :)
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 18:47   #10643
StevieEvans
Forum Member

Smile Houghton Local Patch 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
Houghton Gate c1800
Temminck's Stint, Black-tailed Godwit & a Wheatear.

Great to meet Lardy & Jason

Good going Neil.
A great "finders" bird anywhere, but especially so when its a site first

Looks like there been a steady stream of admirers through this weekend, its a beautifully marked bird.

Thanks for the call - certainly a nice little bonus at the end of the day for yesterdays Bird Race teams
We got through to find 3 keen local patchers with scopes (& smiles) trained on the bird.
We only managed 3 birds after watching your Stint . . . Little, Long-eared & Barn.

PS: That Blackwits a nice 'un too, the first for us this year.

PPS: Can we order a Broad-billed Sand for Castle Lake Open Day.
Cu later.
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 20:36   #10644
littlebrownthing

Typical

The day I planned to go out to Saltholme and then Temminck's hunting I have to do a load of work, it's been a beautiful day and then Saltholme has been Sandpiper heaven!
Ah well. Plenty more birds another time I guess.
Thanks for the photo of the Stint - I hadn't realised but I must have seen one before! I have loads of photos of birds from that far away and they all look like Temminck's Stint's

Chris
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 21:20   #10645
degsy_safc

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhornbirder View Post
its been there for 12 hrs.....why no pics yet? )

Here is a pretty poor handheld very very distant pic of it taken approx 14.15 it was well beyond the Paddy's Pool Hide pretty much directly west of there and viewable from the path that leads to the 'wildlife watch point' hide

Last edited by degsy_safc : Thursday 4th November 2010 at 22:53.
Old Sunday 10th May 2009, 21:33   #10646
FoghornKinghorn
Durham Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebrownthing View Post
Thanks for the photo of the Stint - I hadn't realised but I must have seen one before! I have loads of photos of birds from that far away and they all look like Temminck's Stint's

Chris
ha ha Its one of those pictures you just have to take my word on it. A very, very distant record shot.

It is definatly the Temminck's Stint as myself and other birders had ID'd it and there where no other waders there apart from the Redshank and Lapwing.
It's a shame you couldn't get down today it showed really well and I spent about 3 hours there watching it.
cheers,
Andrew K
Old Monday 11th May 2009, 17:16   #10647
The blackbird

Temminck's Stint

Quote:
I pointed it out because I think it is important to spell species names correctly and I think like many readers was slightly amused by the irony of your doubt and your misspelling. Pedantic, yes you'll understand when your over forty, it's a middle age thing.

You introduced this, the relevance is lost on me. You might have these, you might not, I'd still correct your misspelling (or should that be mispelling I'm never sure).

What else were you sounding doubtful about?

Any more, why not PM me as this will be getting boring for everyone else. Cheer up at least you only got the spelling wrong, I've shouted Temminck's before and it's turned out to be dodgy.

No carry on. It's not boring at all. Love it.
Old Monday 11th May 2009, 18:53   #10648
Jumpin 4 Joy

The Temmincks Stint was still present at Houghton Gate yesterday evening, which contradicts S Howat's report. I'm not saying he wasn't there but I never saw anyone else ! Where were you at, Steve ? (Assuming you read and post on this forum)
Old Monday 11th May 2009, 18:56   #10649
IanF

Crimdon Dene this morning - on the beach - Little Tern c.12, Dunlin x32, Grey Plover x1, Ringed Plover x7.

In the dunes/bushes - Linnet c.15, Stonechat x2, Common Whitethroat x3, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Sand Martin, Swallow, Kestrel.

Still plenty of Avocets on Saline Lagoon this evening plus the usual Lapwing, Redshank, Shelduck, Oystercatcher, Coot, Moorhen, Little Ringed Plover and Canada Goose. Swallow x7 feeding over hedge by hide.

Swift c.100 feeding very low over Saltholme Pools, Dormans Pool and Rec. Pond.

Photos: 1. Little Tern - 2. Dunlin - 3. Avocet with chicks - 4. Avocet chick - 5. Swift
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1059ao.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	196154  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1077ao.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	196155  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135ao.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	196156  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1231ao.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	196157  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1258bo.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	196158  

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th May 2009, 19:16   #10650
FoghornKinghorn
Durham Recorder

Quote:
The Temmincks Stint was still present at Houghton Gate yesterday evening, which contradicts S Howat's report. I'm not saying he wasn't there but I never saw anyone else ! Where were you at, Steve ? (Assuming you read and post on this forum)
I think this is getting a little bit out of hand. It doesn't really matter. Sometimes birds are overlooked and the Temmincks is very easily overlooked.

The bird appears to have gone now anyway. I think some people on the thread will agree with me when I say "just leave it there".

Happy Birding.
Andrew K
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: