• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hainault forest and the Woodland Trust (1 Viewer)

Fstopped

Came across an article on this website today about a localish area:

http://www.hainaultforest.co.uk/9Forest Destruction.htm

I'm by no means a regular there, but many happy times were spent wandering round Hainault forest when I was small, and if it's all true then it saddens me. The guy writing cetrtainly makes his case quite well with photos and anecdotes, though of course focusing entirely on the negative so I've no way of knowing if any more positive work has been done.

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the Woodland Trust in general, and perhaps this patch of land in particular. They're quite a well known name in conservation circles, so this would seem to be quite a breach of trust and I'd like to think that it's the exception rather than the rule.

I've had a quick look at the Management Plan available online, which expires this year and according to the blurb may well have been out of date the year after it was written:

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/our-woods/Pages/management-plans.aspx?wood=5067

A direct quote from the text to keep it bird-relevant:

The Forest is regionally important for the following breeding birds - marsh tit, bullfinch, tree sparrow, nightingale, firecrest, linnet and turtle dove. Notably it is one of the key sites in the London area for hawfinch. It is of county importance for wood warbler, spotted flycatcher, tree pipit, redpoll, woodcock, and three species of woodpecker.

Plenty of reason to keep it in good nick.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back