• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What type of hawk do you believe this is? (1 Viewer)

handyrandyrc

What type of hawk? Rexburg, ID -- US

They had 4 babies this year, mother and dad stayed around for a long time, hunting and bringing back food. Now about 3 weeks ago, the young left the nest for the first time, and are learning to hunt. The hay field is freshly cut, so the mice are easy to spot, so they are all lined up on the end of the field. We can watch them for hours, diving into the field and eating.

Can you identify this hawk? It is a juvenile, it let me come within 3-4 feet of it while taking pictures. Its mother showed up overhead and started swooping and screaming -- probably a "GET AWAY FROM THE PREDATOR THAT IS ABOUT TO GET YOU!"

http://www.freesteader.com/forums/index.php?autocom=blog&blogid=2&showentry=55

Here is a link to my blog posting that has some pictures. Originals are 10MP resolution, and a couple of them turned out REALLY good. What kind of hawk is this?

Last edited:
That's a juvenile Swainson's Hawk. The light underwing coverts and contrasting dark flight feathers are a good character to look for, as are the broad "whiskers". The wings should be as long as the tail at rest (hard to see with these nice photos).
Andy

More pictures

P1000364.jpg

P1000365.jpg

P1000366.jpg

P1000370.jpg

I agree with Kratter. It's a Swainson's Hawk. You can get a good look at the relative lengths of the Wings to the Tail in picture #2 in thread #3. And picture #3 in thread #4.
Bob

Last edited:
Hi JanJ,
I agree the last 3 pictures are of a Red-tail. Along with the back pattern it also has a light iris. Swainson's are darker. I think it is probably a juvenile "Western" calurus rather than a Harlan's. The photographers location is just north of Edmonton, Alberta. Wheeler's range maps do not show any Harlan's Hawks in Alberta. Although a juvenile "Eastern" borealis is also a remote possibility as this is the most extreme point of it's northwestern range.
Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back