• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is this a great egret in Key Largo, FL? (1 Viewer)

Eye and Bill remind me of Western Reef Heron but do not know if found in Florida maybe juve Great White Egret on leg colour

It is a white morph Great Blue Heron, once considered a separate species (the "Great White Heron"). It is reasonably common in the Florida Keys.

Carlos

What are some good marks to know this? Not that I'll be down in Florida anytime soon but just incase I ever go ;)

Hi Matt. Snowy Egrets have a black bill and black legs. The light bill and legs of the subject bird eliminate that species from contention. Great Egrets have a yellow bill and black legs. The light legs eliminate it. Cattle Egret would have a much smaller bill and shorter legs. Juvenile Little Blue Heron or white morph Reddish Egret would not have a yellow bill or yellow on the legs.

So that leaves white morph Great Blue Heron (fka Great White Heron) as the main possibility. And everything fits for it. Note the heavy bill with greenish upper mandible, thick legs, and the isolated head plumes on the rear of the head characteristic of Great Blue Heron.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
That was a great explanation by Jim. Two things I would add are that Snowy Egrets have yellow feet and that white morphs of GBHs are common in the Keys. I should have included more information and explanation in my post.

Hi Matt. Snowy Egrets have a black bill and black legs. The light bill and legs of the subject bird eliminate that species from contention. Great Egrets have a yellow bill and black legs. The light legs eliminate it. Cattle Egret would have a much smaller bill and shorter legs. Juvenile Little Blue Heron or white morph Reddish Egret would not have a yellow bill or yellow on the legs.

So that leaves white morph Great Blue Heron (fka Great White Heron) as the main possibility. And everything fits for it. Note the heavy bill with greenish upper mandible, thick legs, and the isolated head plumes on the rear of the head characteristic of Great Blue Heron.

Best,
Jim

Jim, I copied much of this into the Opus entry, hope you dont mind!

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back