Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 30th December 2009, 15:22   #1
mrpjdavis

Contents insurance - nasty surprise!

Forgive me if this has been raised before, but it is still worth raising again. I have not bothered in the past with baggage cover on my holiday insurance because I thought I had adequate cover with my contents insurance.
Not so - theft from an unattended car has an absolute limit of 1000, regardless of "specified/high value items". That's about a quarter of the value of my bins, scope and tripod.
Pete
Old Wednesday 30th December 2009, 15:33   #2
Marmot
Gallery Moderator

I think you will find that your car insurance contents is even less.

Our car was broken into about 10 years ago at Abernethy Forest and camera, lens and numerous other bits and pieces went [came to about 900] when we checked with the car insurance they were only going to give us about 150 if my memory is correct. Thankfully Ian had travel insurance through work and they paid out the whole amount as we could furnish them with receipts. We now have all cameras, lens on the house insurance and they are named items and on our policy it does cover for in the car.
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 30th December 2009, 16:05   #3
PYRTLE

Specified items

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpjdavis View Post
Forgive me if this has been raised before, but it is still worth raising again. I have not bothered in the past with baggage cover on my holiday insurance because I thought I had adequate cover with my contents insurance.
Not so - theft from an unattended car has an absolute limit of 1000, regardless of "specified/high value items". That's about a quarter of the value of my bins, scope and tripod.
Pete
I pay extra (not much though) as my bins alone are over 1000 - I was assured by my insurer ( a wide ranging national building society) that it was new for old, that it was covered whilst in the car, and that there wasn't a ceiling.
Old Wednesday 30th December 2009, 17:49   #4
njlarsen
Opus Editor

To give a non-UK angle on this one: our household insurer, and all others that I know that offers insurance on this island, only covers things while they physically are in the house. I cannot purchase an insurance that would cover in case there is a break-in into the car or (god forbid) someone robs us in person no matter what I am willing to pay for it.

The reason it is somewhat relevant is that I live on an island that was a UK territory until 30 years ago; one should not think that things were that different.

Niels
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Wednesday 30th December 2009, 19:42   #5
dbradnum

This is interesting. I've also got contents cover for 'named items' over 1000 (camera body, lens, scope etc) which is supposedly 'all risks' including accidental damage. Will be checking the small print rather carefully, since I've always made the same assumption about holiday insurance.

Would you mind naming the insurer in question, please? (PM is fine if you don't want to publicise... though it sounds like they should be named to make people aware!)

thanks

David

(Visit my blog!)
BF Supporter 2006
Old Wednesday 30th December 2009, 22:35   #6
Jack Dawe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradnum View Post
... though it sounds like they should be named to make people aware!)
Damned right they should! Why cover for bandits?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: