• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FAIR ISLE - BIRD/ISLAND NEWS etc! (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

My avatar (see pic left) North Haven, Fair Isle.

I can't seem to find a thread on here for Fair Isle to highlight Deryk's new blogspot - so here it is!

Deryk Shaw - Warden of Fair Isle Bird Observatory: http://fibowarden.blogspot.com/

USE THIS THREAD FOR ALL BIRD NEWS FOR FAIR ISLE

Fair Isle Bird Observatory: http://www.fairislebirdobs.co.uk/index.htm

Island News: http://www.fairisle.org.uk/

Accommodation on Fair Isle:

www.fairislebirdobs.co.uk/accommodation.htm
www.kathycoull.com
www.extramilescotland.co.uk
www.southlightfairisle.co.uk
www.go-bedandbreakfast.co.uk/auldhaaguesthousefairisle/
www.go-bedandbreakfast.co.uk/schooltoncrofthousebandb/

(this information also on www.fairisle.org.uk:)

Weather and webcams: http://www.northisles-weather.co.uk/

Travel to Fair Isle: see www.fairislebirdobs.co.uk/index.htm OR www.fairisle.org.uk/

Note: Good Shepherd IV Ferry Service - do not be put off by the 3 hours boat trip from Grutness Pier to Fair Isle, I have done 3 return trips now and have found the answer to surviving the trip;) - my first trip was lets say an unforgettable experience to say the least. My skin turned green and I aged by at least 50 years by the end of the very rocky trip and lost a stone!!! The sink was rocking in the my room in the obs for the next couple of days!!! BUT I was brave enough/mad enough to make the return trip after finding out from the locals that the tip is to lay down on the bench seat at the back of the rows of seats, lay your head on a pillow, close your eyes and do not open until end of trip! (pillows and blankets provided by crew). This actually does work and I was not s**k once!!!!! The crew are fantastic and its only £2.60 each way! bargain for those of us counting pennies!

Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=36644808414

Last edited:
That looks...luxurious! Gotta get back there, (YB Bunting, PG tips, Pine Bunting, would be my wants....!;))

***edit*** Yellow-breasted, or pref Yellow-browed!

Last edited:
Booking Dates.

I understand bookings can be made from Jan first. Number of rooms are reduced and costs have increased. Watched to new building go up in the autumn. It is much bigger than than old obs. It is going to be an exciting 2010!

Please support the new obs by either visiting or Joining as a friend of the obs. Details are available via the website.

Have visited eight times since 1998. Will be going back until I see - or even better find a sibe rubythroat!!

Fair isle is a very special place- give a go - visit in 2010!

B :)B :)

Hollie emailed me today:

A single room is £55 per night in the New Obs, full board , en-suite. You can book from 1st January if you are a 'Friends of Fair Isle member' or otherwise its 9th January for bookings.

Thanks Penny.

Hollie emailed me today:

A single room is £55 per night in the New Obs, full board , en-suite. You can book from 1st January if you are a 'Friends of Fair Isle member' or otherwise its 9th January for bookings.

Your attention to detail does you great credit!! - hows the cat?:cat:

Spoke to Hollie this morning and will be definately booking. Just booked the Good Shepherd!!!!!! Soooo excited. Going for 2 weeks this time - something to look forward too. Now have to loose loads of weight as you always gain weight on Fair Isle with the awesome home cooked food!

Train to Aberdeen. 14 hour Northlink Ferry to Lerwick, bus to Grutness Pier and Good Shepherd to Fair Isle - this is a long journey but the cheapest!;):t:

Spoke to Hollie this morning and will be definately booking. Just booked the Good Shepherd!!!!!! Soooo excited. Going for 2 weeks this time - something to look forward too. Now have to loose loads of weight as you always gain weight on Fair Isle with the awesome home cooked food!

Train to Aberdeen. 14 hour Northlink Ferry to Lerwick, bus to Grutness Pier and Good Shepherd to Fair Isle - this is a long journey but the cheapest!;):t:

When are you going? If it's May you should do very well. I spent 2 weeks in May there in 1992 - Semipalmated Sand, Short-toed Lark, Wrynecks, Red-backed shrike, Subalpine Warbler, more Red-throated Pipits than you could count (some singing) Hen Harrier, Bluethroat, Wood Warbler, Nightjar etc etc..

Cheers

Fly from tingwall!

Penny do not take the Shepherd - you will live to regret!!:cat::cat:

When are you going? If it's May you should do very well. I spent 2 weeks in May there in 1992 - Semipalmated Sand, Short-toed Lark, Wrynecks, Red-backed shrike, Subalpine Warbler, more Red-throated Pipits than you could count (some singing) Hen Harrier, Bluethroat, Wood Warbler, Nightjar etc etc..

Cheers

Sounds like you had a good selection there!

Going very end of May and June - I know May overall is best for general migration - I have previously been the last week of May and the 2nd year the first week of June and both times have missed orcas by a day or two so this time I am going for 2 weeks at a time when there will be puffins, more flowers in bloom, orcas and a poss 1st for Britain;) oh and the odd bee eater or two!;)

Booked the Good Shepherd today - am VERY excited now, can't wait to go back again! 2 weeks of island heaven!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Penny do not take the Shepherd - you will live to regret!!:cat::cat:

I have already travelled on the Good Shepherd and yes I did nearly die on the way out but am tough;) and was determined to master it on the return journey and I did, through advice from islanders and travelled on it again with no problems the following year - huge fun:-O

Last edited:
Tufty T.shirt

I have already travelled on the Good Shepherd and yes I did nearly die on the way out but am tough;) and was determined to master it on the return journey and I did, through advice from islanders and travelled on it again with no problems the following year - huge fun:-O

As you are tough - you must therefore own a tufty T shirt!! Have also been on the Sheppard twice, I now fly!!

What dates are you going!! Any luck with RN Grebe?:cat::cat:

Enjoy, Penny. You should be fine on the Shepherd: last time (early June) I had to come back that way 'cos the Isle was fogbound, and it was lovely (though one Storm Petrel was about all we saw).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back