Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 6th March 2010, 17:12   #1
Hobbes2

Time between mating and laying (Robins)

Apologies if this question has been asked/answered before. I've search the net but cannot find an answer....

I witnessed a pair of Robins mating this afternoon (they're nesting in a tree at the bottom of my garden). I was wondering how long is the time between mating and laying, please? From info on the net, I understand that incubation is between 12-14 days, is that correct?

Many thanks
Hobbes
Old Saturday 6th March 2010, 17:36   #2
jurek

I may be off the mark, but for a "typical" small songbird it is few days. Between male starts mounting a female, and female lays first egg.
Old Saturday 6th March 2010, 19:37   #3
Hobbes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
I may be off the mark, but for a "typical" small songbird it is few days. Between male starts mounting a female, and female lays first egg.
Thanks Jurek. So, hopefully, before the end of March, I should see some fledglings developing in the nest.
Hobbes
Old Saturday 6th March 2010, 20:16   #4
halftwo
Wird Batcher

This is highly variable - birds mate often long before any egg-laying is their intention - as a pair-bonding thing (like humans!).

In some birds mating goes on for weeks before egg-laying, in others mating only takes place to fertilise an egg.

An egg already fully-formed, except for the shell, can be fertilised just hours before laying - the shell is formed up to the last few minutes before laying (presumably the smaller the bird, the quicker this process is) - and then becomes impervious to sperm.

A better way of knowing when egg-laying is complete is when incubation begins - usually when most or all the clutch is finished.
Old Saturday 6th March 2010, 21:24   #5
Hobbes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
This is highly variable - birds mate often long before any egg-laying is their intention - as a pair-bonding thing (like humans!).

In some birds mating goes on for weeks before egg-laying, in others mating only takes place to fertilise an egg.

An egg already fully-formed, except for the shell, can be fertilised just hours before laying - the shell is formed up to the last few minutes before laying (presumably the smaller the bird, the quicker this process is) - and then becomes impervious to sperm.

A better way of knowing when egg-laying is complete is when incubation begins - usually when most or all the clutch is finished.
Thanks for the clarification halftwo. Interesting stuff. I wasn't sure whether Robins were one of those species that mate only to fertilise an egg or as part of the courtship as well as fertilisation. I guess it's the latter.
thanks
Hobbes
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: