Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 30th March 2010, 23:41   #51
colleenc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickderry View Post
The only thing that gets up my nose is my finger, and really I should stop doing that as it's a terrible habit! ;-)
one way to get the new and terrible MRSA bacterial infections that have morphed from hospitals to the general environment is to pick your nose where the dammed things live....so Nick better break that habit....

On the topic of tones, or what I call values, tho your drawings are really lovely, they leave me with a slight hankering for deeper values to make them live a bit more. If you do that you have a broader "palette of color" because you have more steps in value to use. I do find your work very appealing, but even more I'm impressed that you are reaching for more than what you can already do. IMHO this is the real sign of an artist,

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 31st March 2010, 09:28   #52
mosca

Thanks for the comments and thoughts everyone, I appreciate them.

solitaryVSong, feel free posting here, it's not my thread so say whatever you like.

Quote:
On the topic of tones, or what I call values, tho your drawings are really lovely, they leave me with a slight hankering for deeper values to make them live a bit more.
I agree colleenc and it is something I'm struggling with at the moment. I think the answer could be in a few places. 1st, I am still new to this style of drawing (I think the robin is No11) so have a long way to go, 2nd I am struggling finding and learning about decent paper. The stuff I'm using at the moment punctures quite easily and so I'm not getting the depth of layers I would like, (but that could also be cause 1) and 3rd I think I could find more tonal value overall buy including a background in the work. My previous work has always been extremely quick, no more than ten mins on a picture, I am continuing the slower detailed process but would eventually like to meet somewhere in the middle.
If you have other suggestion or tips how you think the pictures could be improved please post them.

all information and tips are helpful.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: