• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Honey buzzards showing very well at Swanton Novers over the past couple of days. A male up displaying for 1 hour 15 mins this morning and several further sightings until early afternoon.

Honey buzzards showing very well at Swanton Novers over the past couple of days. A male up displaying for 1 hour 15 mins this morning and several further sightings until early afternoon.

I arrived 1 minute after this display finished!

A second bird thought to be a female arrived about an hour later and interacted with several Common Buzzards for a short time. It was usually distant or very high or even both. This composite picture shows it in several poses at the best I could squeeze out of the 400mm lens and 14MB image.

Dave

Attachments

• Honey Buzzard 100703 Composite.jpg
    Honey Buzzard 100703 Composite.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 286
red necked phalarope holme

I'm confused with the idea a red necked phalarope was at Holme for 2 days and supressed. My understanding is that it was around for perhaps 20 minutes, in view at two locations for a few minutes. It was first seen on a pool on the north of the reserve and instantly flushed by an avocet. It then appeared at and was filmed by a member of the public at the wader pools by the first hide and was instantly flushed again by a territorial breeding bird, it was not seen again. I was on the reserve looking at butterflies in the dunes and missed the bird as it was there such a short time. As one of the wardening staff kindly came to tell me and I was given a shout by the guy on duty in the visitor centre to come and chat to the man who filmed the bird its unlikely it was being supressed. Certainly it had not been there the previous day or the day after as I visited the hides during that period, if it was then I guess I can not tell avocet chicks from phalaropes!

Philip Amies

Titch Well Done Eddie, again !

Having exited the reserve once today, after the Buff-breast disappeared behind docks, I returned just too late to see it, before it went out of view again. I blame the ice cream-less Servery for this (their freezer had broken down).

As he did with the superb spot of the Gull-billed Tern last month, he got on to the Buff-breast in flight, giving concise and exact directions.

Unfortunately, the bird was feeding far too far away for any kind of photo, but I attach one of awful quality, as it shows the "conspicuous dark crescent" on the (underwing) primary coverts. It displayed like this several times, after being 'approached' in a most suggestive fashion by a male Ruff. It was having none of this !

Before snide comments are made, I am aware that the other bird in the foreground is a Lapwing !

There were also about 2 dozen Spotshanks and 3 Greenshank, that I could see.

Attachments

• 150psesm.jpg
    150psesm.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 229
Dave your photos of the Swanton Novers honey buzzard are very helpful. The presence of 3 tail bars confirm what i saw yesterday it is a female. I missed the earlier sighting , but others described it as doing a lot of display ( skydancing ) and the friday also was doing a lot of skydancing . This suggests a male and i did have good views of a male a few weeks ago. So at least we do have a pair this year. Their late arrivel makes breeding unlikely this year ( but I could be wrong ) . These birds are both new to the area which begs the question what has happened to our old birds. There was a very severe drought along the southern edge of the Saraha this winter and with almost constant north head winds in May and June coupled with very wet weather in France and the Med its possible our old birds were unable to make it back to Norfolk and died on migration.

The honey buzzards were difficult at Swanton Novers today and there were many disapointed birders , however at 4.00 pm a bird was displaying south of the watch point and several birders were convinced they had a quick view of a honey buzzard skimming the trees shortly before this. I was checking out the Wensum Valley Watch Point at the time so was honey buzzardless all day. great v close views of a hobby at Sennowe though.

I am on such a high after bagging the RIVER WARBLER this evening at 9.30pm!!!!!!!!! (Norfolk first for me) My first shift at the hospital was 8am until 1pm. Its always scary when I get home and notice loads of missed calls and texts!!! Looked at pager......:eek!: Packed birding stuff in boot of car went back for 3pm until 8pm shift and then whizzed over to Haddiscoe to arrive just in time.... Thank you VERY much to Will (RBA) who let me have brilliant views through his scope - the best view I got actually!!! The song of this bird was spectacular to say the least!!!!!!!!!;);) Extremely well organised aswell. From Norwich A47, take the A146 to Lowestoft and then turn off left on the B1136 to Haddiscoe and then basically follow the 'River Warbler' signs!!!

See blog for extras!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
River Warbler Twitch

A big thank you to all those who managed last nights event. Clearly a singing river warbler in Norfolk was going to be popular and so it was!

Birders behaved themselves and the entrance fee will raise money for conservation causes - a win win for everybody involved.

In a spring when a news of a number of good birds was kept quiet in Norfolk, it was great to see birders seeing and hearing a quality rarity.

:cat::cat:

Buff-breasted sandpiper, Titchwell

Buff-breast showing very well at Titchwell this evening with ca 50 dunlin on the freshmarsh. Also cracking summer plumage spotted redshank.

Rob

UBERtwitcher

who is this Tim chap who keeps on cropping up on the pager, his ability to shapeshift show no bounds - he appears to be planning to be in London and Thorpe/Haddiscoe simultaneously...

In terms of BRs endeavours, a Spoonbill flew over Blakeney some time in the last three weeks, date, time and level of elevation merging into one. Quayswimming with Little Terns has been pretty awesome though.

who is this Tim chap who keeps on cropping up on the pager, his ability to shapeshift show no bounds - he appears to be planning to be in London and Thorpe/Haddiscoe simultaneously...

In terms of BRs endeavours, a Spoonbill flew over Blakeney some time in the last three weeks, date, time and level of elevation merging into one. Quayswimming with Little Terns has been pretty awesome though.

Maybe Tim is the BF poster "Dodo To Go", who has asked for lifts to recent megas on the rare birds information forum.

Ps. your personal message box is full ;)

Josh -your in box has been full for a long time - probably this Tim bloke.

Tried to pm you to say how good it was to meet you in June - saw some good birds, met some nice folk and er yes the food weren't bad either.

Hope to see you again soon.

Hugh

Had a great few days visiting the out Laws & managed 2 visits to Strumpshaw Fen - It never ceases to amaze me.

Near enough everytime I visit I have a great time & see some cracking Birds with Saturday & Monday being without exception.

For me & in no priority:

Cuckoo
Barn Owl
Marsh Harriers
Bittern
Green Sandpiper
Warblers - at the mo I don't know what they were, but I'm trying to find out!

I bumped into a few people & it was nice to have a natter!

Attachments

• Bitterns - Bittern 1.jpg
    Bitterns - Bittern 1.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Bitterns - Bittern 2.jpg
    Bitterns - Bittern 2.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Owl - Barn 2.jpg
    Owl - Barn 2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Wader - Green Sandpiper 1.jpg
    Wader - Green Sandpiper 1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Wader - Green Sandpiper 2.jpg
    Wader - Green Sandpiper 2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 62
As part of our activities week at school, I took 2 minibus loads of Thetford's finest to Cley, yesterday and today. Students had a great time, genuinely enthralled once in the bird hide and whispering to one another, never seen them behave like that! We managed good views of Avocet, Lapwing, Black Tailed Godwit and 2 cracking summer plumaged Spotted Redshank. Spoonbill were distant, only a glimpse at best. Down by the beach carpark,I picked up 3 Gannets heading east and a few Terns.....whilst watching the kids of course. Nice to get the kids away from their town, I was shocked at both how little and how much they knew.
Thanks to anyone involved at Cley and reading, I will be returning with them next year! After the River Warbler, it was nice for me personally to appreciate some of the birds it is easy to take for granted. Seeing the same Reed Bunting on the same perch the following morning was just what I needed.
Cheers,
Jim.

ps just a thought- any gull experts at Cley today? Picked up a Herring Gull-sized bird, pale almost white head, large bill, odd shape to the head....see where I'm going? Not a great view then I lost it. Just thought I would post on the off chance.

Last edited:

glad you're still alive, I thought you were either

1.) dead
2.) got a new girlfriend
3.) or, given up birding

Yesterdays pager messages were no fault of Tim's, just some confusion at the RBA end. He was actually on his way to the WTP with me when he requested the lift for the River Warbler for this morning, it was RBA who then sent out the wrong location which Tim had to correct!

Yes James, Tim is "Dodo to go", I'll let him tell you about the twitching bug he has clearly caught if he wants to. In the meantime, I'll just say he's good company if anyone wants to give him a lift to help him bump his list up as I don't have the funds to go showing him the local scarce (but have taken him for Oriental Pratincole and the Foulden skippers).

Chris

all three ;)

dude, clear your messages. Need to give you some top secret info

How f*cking hard is the buff breasted sandpiper ? Does it actually exist ?
Even one of the wardens had stared at the island for 6 hours and not seen it
This is my last crack at year listing so any help much appreciated, might try again tomorrow or might be sensible and go after work sunday

Last edited:
Titchwell marsh RSPB Thursday 8 July

Spoonbill 1 Brackish marsh
Greenshank 1
Black tailed godwit 50
Bar tailed godwit 204
Dunlin 100
Little ringed plover 6
Spotted redshank 6
Ruff 13
Green sandpiper 2
Mediterranean gull 1 adult west
Bittern Flight views Fresh marsh
Buff breasted sandpiper 1. Fresh marsh. This is one elusive bird! Best chances are in the evening which seems to be the only time it comes out in the open. In addition it sometimes shows immediately after something has put all the fresh marsh knot up...as they settle down again it has a very quick look round before walking quickly back into cover on the vegetated island immediately north of Island hide. Also been known to snuggle down in the rubble on one of the central islands.

Last edited:
Birds,booze and grub - Sculthorpe

Whilst quaffing a foaming pint, scoffing a splendid brie and redcurrant marmalade baguette with sweet potato crisps I was in company of a couple of spotted flycatchers, grey wagtail and kingfisher.......looked good for lots more besides. Also wild brown trout, a few damsels (including girlfriend) in and alongside the mill stream. No river warbler though.......this week's visit sadly proved I'm mutton geoff in the right hand lughole. Zimmerframe next methinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back