• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micronesian Kingfisher (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
John Penhallurick on the OrientalBirding mailing list today:
Hi all,

Just returned from an outstading trip to Micronesia, during which we saw all possible birds, including Guam Rail.

Seeing some of these birds started me thinking.

The lumping by James L. Peters of Todiramphus pelewensis, The Palau Kingfisher and Todiramphus reichenbachii, the Pohnpei Kingfisher, into T. cinnamominus, the now extinct Guam Kingfisher, seems to me highly objectionable. Males of cinnamominus has a rufous head and underparts, a blue-green back, rump, wings and tail. Females differ in having a whitish belly. Juveniles have a pale rufous throat,dusky markings on breast and a buff belly. The illustrations of pelewensis and reichenbachii in Handbook of the Birds oif the World, 6, pl 15 are seriously wrong, in that both taxa are shown as having a solid rufous crown like that of cinnamominus. Reichenbachii of Pohnpei is smaller. Adults of both sexes are white below, with a rusty-cinnamon crown, much paler than that of the Guam taxon. Juveniles resemble cinnamominus, except that they have a white throat and rusty feather edgings on the crown. Pelewensis of Palau are smaller still, and both sexes, including juveniles, white below, with crown ranging from pale rusty-cinnamon to white.

Also their calls are quite distinct. That of Guam birds is described by Pratt et al. 1987, p.222 as a harsh kshh-skshh-skshh-kroo-ee,kroo-ee sometimes given in flight, and a plaintive kiv-kiv or kiu-kiu-kiu given from concealment. That call may be heard here:
http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/5590

The call of reichenbachii from Pohnpei is described as a harsh tschip-weer, or skreer and a loud kewp-kewp-kewp-kewp. That call may be heard here:
http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/139985

pelewensis is said to be usually silent,but occasionally utters a loud rasping series that begins with a chatter che-che-che,che-kreek,kreek,kreek.
http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/5345

Finally, I would like to quote from Birds and Bats of Palau by Douglas Pratt and Mandy Etpison. Under the heading of their Rusty-capped Kingfisher (T.c.pelewensis) they concluded: "Differences among the so-called 'Micronesian Kingfishers' include voice, adult and juvenile plumage coloration, and nesting habits. Those on Pohnpei are larger, and look very much like Rusty-capped as adults, but the juveniles resembe the strikingly different Guam Kingfisher in that one, the white parts of the Rusty-cap's plumage are are a rich rusty chestnut, and unlike the other two, adult females are distinctive with a white belly, but juveniles are like adults. These visual differences are what scientists call an 'isolating mechansim'. This is any behavioral, ecological or physical characteristics that prevent two species from interbreeding, during the mating process or after pairs have formed. For example, Pohnpei birds nest in cavities in termite nests, while the Rusty-capped uses tree cavities, since the termite nests in Palau are used by Collared Kingfishers. So even if, hypothetically, a Pohnpei bird and a Rusty-cap would mate, they would not be able to decide where to nest! And we suspect the three Micronesian forms might not recognize each other visually, either."

This is one of the silliest examples of Peters's lumps that I have yet come across.

Dr John Penhallurick
86 Bingley Cres
Fraser A.C.T. 2615
Australia
email:[email protected]
Phone: Home (612) 62585428
Mobile:0408585426
Please visit my website:http://www.worldbirdinfo.net
Woodall 2001 (HBW6):
ibc.lynxeds.com/species/micronesian-kingfisher-todiramphus-cinnamominus

Monroe & Sibley 1993 lists T (c) cinnamominus 'Guam Kingfisher' (including pelewensis?), T (c) reichenbachii 'Caroline Islands Kingfisher' and T (c) miyakoensis 'Ryukyu Kingfisher' as possible species.

[Dickinson 2003 (H&M3) recognises T miyakoensis 'Miyako Island Kingfisher' (extinct) as a species.]

Richard

Last edited:
As I'm off to Micronesia next year I've been checking out the birds. There does seem to be a hell of a lot of "old" lumps either still present, or ones that have been resurrected. Pacific Kingfishers, in particular, are such a mess that I suspect there are far more taxa eligible for elevation to species rank than are admitted. At least Pratt et al 1987 made a start on the White-eyes. Wish me luck!

Chris

Birds of East Asia (the field guide by Mark Brazil) discusses the Ryuku Kingfisher. I don't have it with me to quote it, but I believe they come to the conclusion that the Kingfisher was most likely a known species with mislabeled locality data, and not a valid species (or at least not a valid species for Japan)

Miyakoensis

Birds of East Asia (the field guide by Mark Brazil) discusses the Ryuku Kingfisher....
You're right, Morgan. Brazil 2009:
MIYAKO KINGFISHER Halcyon miyakoensis
Previously considered endemic taxon, but collected only once, Miyako I., Japan (1887), an island quite unlikely to have supported such a species. At best, perhaps a local subspecies of Micronesian Kingfisher H. cinnamominus miyakoensis, but almost certainly only accidental, ship-assisted, or collected elsewhere.
And this from the BirdLife Checklist:
This taxon is only known from a single bird apparently collected on Sakishima, in the Ryukyu Islands (Nansei Shoto), Japan, in 1887 (incorrectly listed as 1841 by some sources) (Balouet and Alibert 1990). Nothing is known of the taxon in life, and it is assumed to be extinct (Stattersfield et al. 1998). The holotype has red legs and may have had a red bill (its bill sheath is now missing) but is otherwise similar to Micronesian Kingfisher T. cinnamominus and some authors have considered the taxon a subspecies of this (Fry et al. 1992). The validity of the holotype has also been questioned, with suggestions that it may have been a vagrant from Guam, an escaped cagebird, or mislabelled (Brazil 1991). Maybe because of these uncertainties, the taxon was removed from the 1996 Red List (Baillie and Groombridge 1996).
Richard

Last edited:
I was on the same Micronesian tour as John Penhallurick and was considering posting questions on the taxonomy of several groups we saw, however with a shorter return journey to Australia (it took me 45 hours from hotel in Yap to home in Poole UK) and without the 10 hour jet lag, he understandably beat me to it.

Miyakoensis

OrientalBirding, 5 Oct 2012:
Male and female Crested Shelducks are on display (Tokyo, 6 Oct - 9 Dec.)

Dear Oriental Birders,

Greetings from Japan.

This year the Ornithological Society of Japan celebrates its centennial anniversary, and we have several events and special exhibitions relating to the centennial.

One of them is the planned exhibition entitled "Japanese ornithology history and current perspectives" which begins tomorrow in National Museum of Nature and Science, Tokyo.

In this exhibition there are several rare specimens and books on display from YIO specimen and book collection. Included among them are a male and a female of Crested Shelduck Tadorna cristata, two of the three specimens known to exist in the world, and the sole specimen of Miyako Kingfisher Todiramphus miyakoensis.

In addition to the pleasure of looking at such rare treasures, the exhibition will give you an idea of the history and present situation of Japanese ornithology.

"Japanese ornithology history and current perspectives"

http://www.kahaku.go.jp/english/event/2012/10bird/index.html

Period October 6 - December 9, 2012
Hours 9:00-17:00
(details of opening days and hours >
http://www.kahaku.go.jp/english/news/2012/info09/index.html )

Tickets Only Admission to the museum
Language Japanese
National Museum of Nature and Science, Tokyo
7-20 Ueno Park, Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-8718
5 min. walk from JR Ueno Station, Park Exit
10 min. walk from Tokyo Metro Ginza Line/Hibiya Line Ueno Station
Access > http://www.kahaku.go.jp/english/userguide/access/index.html
Inquiries NTT Hello Dial: +81-(0)3-5777-8600

I hope many oriental birders will visit and enjoy this exhibition.

Best wishes,

HIRAOKA Takashi
(family name)(given name)
Yamashina Institute for Ornithology
Konoyama 115, Abiko, Chiba Pref.
270-1145 Japan
http://www.yamashina.or.jp/

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back