• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji HS 20 previewed (1 Viewer)

The HS10 1/2.3" BSI CMOS was already the low noise leader relative to the other superzooms. Now with the HS20 EXR dual core processore chip they will use "pixel fusion" on a slightly larger 1/2" BSI CMOS to reduce it further. Rez is halved to 8mp of course. Lots of other improvements to the LCD and GUI. Hits stores next week here in Tokyo. May need to take a stroll up to the Fujifilm showroom to check it out. May be the superzoom to have in 2011!

Last edited:
I'm presuming at the samples were shot at the same time.

If you look at the samples provided, the colour cast range from all the cameras varies from magenta to green.

Only the Fuji is half way decent to true colour.

Now we don't know how competent the photographer was, but these results aren't even close

OK, the Sony you can fiddle with and get a decent result, but you shouldn't have too, if you're spending £300 plus.

The Nikon I'm afraid is truly awful, the Panasonic starts loosing it at 400 iso.

So took a stroll up to the Fujifilm showroom today and spent ~30min with the HS20 shooting pics of a "TinyTown" diorama using the 3 EXR modes. Lots of small shadow details and little people to full zoom on.

I think this camera will assume the superzoom High ISO crown! Did not have a memory card with me so had to rely on the camera LCD to judge but ISO1600 shadow detail looks really clean in crops. I think even ISO3200 will make for some nice A4 prints. Difference between full rez and High ISO/Low Noise modes appeared subtle but the High Dynamic Range mode was pretty dramatic.

Lens is sharp at full telephoto and CA seems practically non existant. There are 3 levels of noise reduction but I assume RAW mode will not use it. Not sure on the continuous shooting speed as the in-camera memory can only hold ~6 full rez/high detail shots. AF was pretty fast at full zoom as long as I was at sufficient distance from the subject. EVF seems to be a big improvement of the HS10.

I may go back again next week with a memory card and spend more time. Need to download/read the manual though as the menu GUI is not familiar to me.

Interesting to hear your initial experience esp re: the performance at high ISOs. The other question really is, will it perform outdoors in bright sunlight (where any issues re: CA etc would become apparent)? We've got another couple of weeks to wait, I think, before it's available in the UK.

I look forward to seeing any sample pics if you get the chance to go back with a memory card.

thanks
Hobbes

So took a stroll up to the Fujifilm showroom today and spent ~30min with the HS20 shooting pics of a "TinyTown" diorama using the 3 EXR modes. Lots of small shadow details and little people to full zoom on.

I think this camera will assume the superzoom High ISO crown! Did not have a memory card with me so had to rely on the camera LCD to judge but ISO1600 shadow detail looks really clean in crops. I think even ISO3200 will make for some nice A4 prints. Difference between full rez and High ISO/Low Noise modes appeared subtle but the High Dynamic Range mode was pretty dramatic.

Lens is sharp at full telephoto and CA seems practically non existant. There are 3 levels of noise reduction but I assume RAW mode will not use it. Not sure on the continuous shooting speed as the in-camera memory can only hold ~6 full rez/high detail shots. AF was pretty fast at full zoom as long as I was at sufficient distance from the subject. EVF seems to be a big improvement of the HS10.

I may go back again next week with a memory card and spend more time. Need to download/read the manual though as the menu GUI is not familiar to me.

I think this camera will assume the superzoom High ISO crown! ...

...EVF seems to be a big improvement of the HS10.

This is interesting and encouraging. When HS10 came out, a Fuji marketing rep posted here wanting to know what we liked about the camera for bird photography. Instead, a lot of people mentioned what they wanted to see--emphasizing a bigger EVF and better performance at "high" ISOs. Perhaps the forum response made a difference.

Best,
Jim

Jim, my EVF impressions may be faulty. I am going from memory of the HS10. But I think HS20's the EVF size and rez are exactly the same as the HS10's. Unfortunately, they have pulled the HS10 from the display so I could not compare directly.

BTW, the manual does not seem to be available for download yet so some GUI functions remain a mystery.

Last edited:
I went back with a memory card today and snapped a few pics. These are uncropped JPEGs from the camera. I did not shoot RAW. Check the exif data. I think you will be impressed. BTW, the ceiling lamp pic was shot in an attempt to force CA. I don't think I succeeded The lens is pretty sharp with only slight barrel distortion at max zoom.

Attachments

• DSCF0033 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0033 (800x600).jpg
    295 KB · Views: 1,208
  • DSCF0039 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0039 (800x600).jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 1,086
  • DSCF0055 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0055 (800x600).jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 1,314
  • DSCF0040 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0040 (800x600).jpg
    264 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
Jim, my EVF impressions may be faulty. I am going from memory of the HS10. But I think HS20's the EVF size and rez are exactly the same as the HS10's.

Checked the reviews and, unfortunately, your second impression appears to be correct--specs are the same for both cameras, listing same size (.2") and pixel numbers for the EVF in both Fuji models. In contrast, my old FZ18, which still seems to have best EVF of the superzooms, is listed at .44". (FZ38 is listed at .2" as well BTW).

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I went back with a memory card today and snapped a few pics. These are uncropped JPEGs from the camera. I did not shoot RAW. Check the exif data. I think you will be impressed. BTW, the ceiling lamp pic was shot in an attempt to force CA. I don't think I succeeded The lens is pretty sharp with only slight barrel distortion at max zoom.

Somewhat disappointing. The people in those shots don't seem very lifelike. ;)

Were these shot with full resolution or using the noise reduction/lower resolution option? I cannot seem to decipher the exif.

Niels

Yeah I have to use Exiftool to see EXR mode. I also varied Noise Reduction from LOW/STANDARD/HIGH for each mode but exiftool reports UNKNOWN for the value. Anyway the "purple" and "town" pics above are High ISO/low Noise (SN mode). Here is a "purple" High Rez (HR mode) pic (notice the shutter speed is halved) and a "town" High Dynamic Range (DR mode) pic. Pretty impressed with the image stabilization at this level too. Anyway, pretty good for ISO3200 and ~ISO1000 I think.

Also shot some video while zooming the lens. AF adjustments is pretty quick compared to my SX1 in this low lighting.

Attachments

• DSCF0037 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0037 (800x600).jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 625
  • DSCF0056 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0056 (800x600).jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:
I think I am going to buy this camera when it is released!

Personally, I'd always wait until there's a detailed, comparative hands-on review before deciding to buy.

Best,
Jim

P.S. Hope Rick/RJM is ok. Haven't seen a post from him since the earthquake.

Last edited:
This video review is pretty spot-on with my brief hands-on experience with this camera above. I remember lens being jerky while zooming and thinking that would suck for video. Shoot in 8mp EXR mode, adjust the default jpeg output in camera and IQ is really nice up to ISO1600.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back