• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (35 Viewers)

A Tree Pipit just flew low over the Education Reserve calling. That's my 138th for the year! At least three Redstarts on flashes this morning - including a male and probable juv

Good work, Dave, and thanks for your help and patience in getting me to see those redstarts at last.

Could you also manage to get me a sight of a Pallas' Sand Grouse...?

Peter

Good work, Dave, and thanks for your help and patience in getting me to see those redstarts at last.

Peter
Nice one Peter
Have you seen Lesser whitethroat yet:smoke:
Peter re new bins - Brian stretch has got a product show day at the sailing centre this Saturday - which will coincide with our Autumn 'All-dayer' on the reserve.
B :)John
ps if you are going to be there on Saturday I will bring the Migration book. (let me know)

Peter

That would be an amazing spectacle, Peter - but don't hold your breath - I believe the only Worcestershire records occurred in 1888!

Glad you got the Redstarts though. :t:

That would be an amazing spectacle, Peter - but don't hold your breath - I believe the only Worcestershire records occurred in 1888!

Glad you got the Redstarts though. :t:

Five at Cofton Hall Farm on the 28th December 1888 (of which four were shot). Almost close enough to be on the Bittell list ...

Last edited:
Nice one Peter
Have you seen Lesser whitethroat yet:smoke:
Peter re new bins - Brian stretch has got a product show day at the sailing centre this Saturday - which will coincide with our Autumn 'All-dayer' on the reserve.
ps if you are going to be there on Saturday I will bring the Migration book. (let me know)

It's funny you should ask about the Lesser Whitethroat. Just after I returned to the hide from the redstarts a very helpful chap pointed one out. Quite a red-letter day!

Yes, I will be there on Saturday.

Peter

All-Dayer v Belvide Saturday 3rd September

Just to let you all know the this years Autumn 'All-Dayer' takes place this Saturday. Mike has already mentioned it, but I'm sure he and Phil will elaborate.
I am off for 2 days to the smoke, so hopefully things will hot up.
ps I will in the Flashes hide at 5am on Saturday, Sy can you do the Hen pool 1st thing8-P (only joking)

If it was Spring, yes I would. However, I'll only venture into there if we're short of a Reed Warbler at lunchtime!
I'm happy to cook and supply charcoal. Are we bringing our own sausages/bacon and has anyone found an old bar-b-que yet? As those disposables are next to useless after more than 15 minutes.

Sy

Tuesday 30th August

Quick flying visit to the reserve this morning; generally quiet:

FLASHES
3 Green Sand, 65 Lapwing, 3 Shelduck, 37 Teal, 13 Moorhen, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Raven, Meadow Pipit and Grey Wagtail over, Dave had Spot Fly near the Hen Pool (Common Sand on Sailing Pool).

HEDGE WATCH
Little activity early morning, just a Lesser Whitethroat. Yesterday's sightings included 3+ Redstarts, 5 Lesser Whitethroats, 3 Common Whitethroats and a Garden Warbler.

MOORS POOL
1 Green Sand, 1 Common Sand, 58 Lapwing (probably some duplication with the Flashes), 3 Pochard, 15 Tufted D, 7 Teal, 10 Shoveler, 2 Shelduck, 133 Coot, 6 Moorhen, 5 GC Grebe, 2 Mute Swan, 4 Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron, several Reed Warblers, good numbers of hirudines.

Our grazier has now installed 5 Dexters at the Moors Pool to help manage the vegetation.

All-Day Birdwatch

For what its worth I've just had a look at the BBC's weather forecast for the rest of the week and Saturday itself: http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4282?area=Bromsgrove

Unfortunateley there will be no significant rain other than potentially tonight but the wind turns to a warm southerly from Thursday with light rain then predicted (at the moment) on Saturday itself which could be very conjuicive to a good day's birding.

After twitching the Skua in Shrops we headed to the flashes, where 4 Goldcrests were around the birches by the 1st flash hide, 4 Green sand and a Common Sand on the mud, then we just watched the hedges and eventually ( after a kind man came up the path to get us) we were watching 2 Spotted Flycatchers to the right of the 2nd flash hide, on the hedge that goes to the farm,
We didnt see much else tbh.
In the Hen pool, 4 Reed warb were showing very close to the hide, and we had a visit from SY's Water Shrew which moved slowly across the mud, thanks to gert for sudgesting it..
we had a 2nd shrew/mouse (more likely shrew with its nose) with a short tail move across?? any idea's about that??
Once we left a med Gull was reported on the flashses. which doesnt suprise me considering the amount of gulls that were following the Plough on the fields to the north
MB

Last edited:
Update: BBQ delivered to the top of the Flashes steps apparently. I get the impression (from what's been said) that it might be quite big. I'm sure we can accommodate it somehow.

Just been invaded by the BBQ liberation faction. The apparatus has been left at the Cuckoo Hide! Which, could be the best place to 'cook' on Saturday?

I'm easy either way, but if we want to move it to the Avocet hide it'll need a concerted effort...

Last edited:
All-Day Birdwatch

Based on the sightings of the last couple of days I would guess that the following can reasonably be expected to be recorded on the All-Dayer:

Grey Heron, Cormorant, Little Grebe, GC Grebe, Mute Swan, Canada G, Shelduck, Mallard, Shoveler, Teal, Pochard, Tufted D, Coot, Moorhen, Water Rail, Pheasant, Buzzard, Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Curlew, Lapwing, Green Sand, Common Sand, BH Gull, Herring Gull, LBB Gull, Wood Pigeon, Stock Dove, Feral Pigeon, GS Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Kingfisher, Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin, Redstart, Blue Tit, Great Tit, LT Tit, Goldcrest, Spotted Fly Treecreeper, Reed W, Chiffchaff, Willow W, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Blackcap, Pied Wag, Grey Wag, Meadow Pipit, Carrion Crow, Rook, Raven, Jackdaw, Jay, Magpie, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Starling, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting.

In addition to above 69 species there is also the chance of:

Little Owl, Sedge Warbler, Common Gull, Med Gull, Coal Tit, Hobby, Greylag Goose, Yellow Wagtail, Collared Dove, House Sparrow, Swift.

With many eyes on the sky there is also the outside possibility of:

Marsh Harrier, Red Kite, Osprey, a tern, a fly-over wader etc

Based on the sightings of the last couple of days I would guess that the following can reasonably be expected to be recorded on the All-Dayer:

In addition to above 69 species there is also the chance of:

Little Owl, Sedge Warbler, Common Gull, Med Gull, Coal Tit, Hobby, Greylag Goose, Yellow Wagtail, Collared Dove, House Sparrow, Swift.

With many eyes on the sky there is also the outside possibility of:

Marsh Harrier, Red Kite, Osprey, a tern, a fly-over wader etc

Hi Phil,

I've seen Collared Dove on my last two visits. Once in a garden just outside the reserve and one flying over the sailing pool.

Med Gull was seen yesterday evening.

Spent a pleasant couple of hours at the Flashes this morning. Saw Des briefly and bumped into a few nameless faces. Apart from a 25 bird Curlew flock that landed on the Mud Flats as I arrived there was little else to report other than confirming the delivery of a nice big bar-b-que. I'll get a chain and lock to lash it to the hide legs for safe keeping.
I'll attach a few picture 'cos I can...
Curlew
Jackdaw
Common Darter
Common Hawker and a bug/fly thing that was just a touch too close to me (in HB hide) to focus on it properly... anyone know its name?

Attachments

• Curlew1_resize.jpg
    Curlew1_resize.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Jackdaw_resize.jpg
    Jackdaw_resize.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Common Darter_M_resize.jpg
    Common Darter_M_resize.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 71
  • Common Hawker_resize.jpg
    Common Hawker_resize.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Fly_resize.jpg
    Fly_resize.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Oh, one other thing I wanted to ask. What's this rather lovely plant called guys? It's very attractive but getting quite a hold in areas of Hen's Brook. Is it something about which we should be concerned?

Attachments

• plant.jpg
    plant.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back