Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 20th October 2011, 17:02   #1
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Reed Warbler defies the odds!

Whilst trawling for news on a couple of Great Grey Shrike I noticed this..

You couldn't make this up, amazing - http://northantsbirds.com/2011/09/23...fies-the-odds/

Old Thursday 20th October 2011, 17:16   #2
Jon Turner

When I'm ringing in Southern Spain I often wonder if I'll come across a bird I might have ringed in Devon. Now I know it's possible, I'll try even harder!

Great stuff, well found!
Old Thursday 20th October 2011, 17:18   #3
Stephen Dunstan

Fascinating, though I guess it happens with some larger species from time to time.

Somebody will probably claim he took it with him.

Stephen
Old Thursday 20th October 2011, 17:29   #4
stonechat99

When ringing in Cyprus I always looked very carefully at any ringed Lesser Whitethroats we trapped. Never caught a British ringed bird let alone one of mine!
Old Thursday 20th October 2011, 19:17   #5
Ashley beolens
Breeding the next generation of birders.

Incredible.
http://www.mothininthegarden.co.uk - Moth Blog
Old Thursday 20th October 2011, 19:22   #6
Simon Wates

Haha...great!

Well done John - nice to see that Lagoa de Santo Andre is going strong - is Michael Armelin with you?
Old Thursday 20th October 2011, 21:06   #7
John Morgan

I think something similar happened a few years back involving a Sedge Warbler from Icklesham being caught by the ringer in Senegal. Anybody else recall this?

The late Frank Clafton when he moved from being warden at Bardsey BO to become the warden at Portland BO caught a Willow Warbler there he had ringed at Bardsey.
Old Monday 5th December 2011, 09:51   #8
LowellMills
Is this your Sanderling?

Iain Livingstone who I temporarily trained with in Strathclyde regailed me with a smaller distance but no less amazing story as it was a double-whammy:

While ringing away from home in Kent at a bird observatory, a day's catching of a large number of hirundines on passage yielded a single control swallow: originally ringed by Iain in Strathclyde. Next day, a day's catch yielded a single control house martin. Again, originally ringed by Iain. My guess as to how this slim possibility might be helped along was that a) the bird observatory happened to serve as the main 'funnel' for passage hirundines, at least for that region of Scotland, and b) his timing of visit was impeccably synchronised with birds from his site passing through...

Astounding. As for me I have experienced a rook in the hand twice so far, both the same individual, on separate sites, more than a year apart, and on both occasions it was the only rook to be netted. perhaps a bit of a dozey individual? was great to see it as a juvenile then an adult!
Old Thursday 8th December 2011, 08:08   #9
Aegitalos
Aegitalos

Thumbs up

I compare this case as the man who came in a huge barn and stuck the needle ...
What happened to John is not impossible and that makes us dream of many banders. The question is to be twice in the same place at the scheduled time and have a network operating.
Congratulations John.
Fernando Gavilan.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: