Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 24th January 2012, 16:14   #1
Steve Arlow

Israel 2012

Spring 2012

After a change of plan from a trip to Goa I am now spending 10days in Israel at the end of March this year.

It's been a long time since I was there and now managed to get plenty of information however a couple of bits I still need clarification on if someone could assist.

Is an International Drivers Licence required. It was in 1996 when I was last there.

Would an Israeli Passport stamp prevent me from entering neighbouring Arab countries such as Egypt, Oman etc. Likewise if I had a stamp from an Arab country would it prevent me entering Israel in the future.

It used to be a case of if you have an Arab stamp you can't come in but have things changed at all?

And finally it seems a Visa is not required to enter Israel for UK Passport holders but I have heard that this may not be the case.

It would be interesting to see others sightings here for the spring to see a change over the season.

regards

Steve

Website www.birdersplayground.co.uk
Old Tuesday 24th January 2012, 16:26   #2
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Hi Steve,

No visa needed, I was over there in November. Israeli immigration will ask you if you want your passport stamped or not, or mine did anyway. An Israeli stamp can cause problems elsewhere, Malaysia for example though Arab countries with good relations ie Jordan, not a problem.
Don't know about the IDL.
Old Tuesday 24th January 2012, 20:56   #3
graeme782

I was there last year. A UK licence with photocard were sufficient for the purposes of hiring a car.
Old Tuesday 24th January 2012, 21:06   #4
JoanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Arlow View Post
Spring 2012

It used to be a case of if you have an Arab stamp you can't come in but have things changed at all?

Steve
I got into Israel a few years ago when I had a UAE stamp in my passport with no trouble, though a subsequent day trip to Jordan had me one of the last to get my passport back at the border. Rest of my family had no trouble but they didn't have a UAE stamp in their passports
Old Tuesday 24th January 2012, 21:14   #5
RonW

You don't need an international driver's licence. And yes, in some countries and Israeli stamp in your passport can be problematic and vice versa. At least in Israel you can ask them not to put a stamp in your passport.

Have fun, Israel in spring is very nice, best time of year with lots of flowers and wildlife. In a couple of weeks I'll be off for a short visit there myself.
Old Tuesday 24th January 2012, 21:17   #6
jogresh
Registered nutjob

As i understand it, the only country which will not allow you in if you have an Israeli stamp is Syria, and sadly i can't see that being an issue for a while. I had a Syrian stamp in my passport but it was up for renewal before i went to Israel in 2011. I'm not sure what Iran or Lebanon would say, but as mentioned in a previous post you don't have to get the Israeli stamp when you enter anyway.
My tatty old paper licence sufficed.
Had a great trip, sure you will too.
Old Tuesday 24th January 2012, 21:21   #7
Steve Arlow

Many thanks everyone,

Really geared up for some gulling at Ashdod (naturally) and general birding at Ma'agan Michael, Beit Shean and Eilat, I may even get a lifer or two, if I'm lucky. Can't wait.

Steve

Website www.birdersplayground.co.uk
Old Tuesday 24th January 2012, 22:03   #8
bitterntwisted
Graham Howard Shortt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogresh View Post
As i understand it, the only country which will not allow you in if you have an Israeli stamp is Syria, and sadly i can't see that being an issue for a while. I had a Syrian stamp in my passport but it was up for renewal before i went to Israel in 2011. I'm not sure what Iran or Lebanon would say, but as mentioned in a previous post you don't have to get the Israeli stamp when you enter anyway.
My tatty old paper licence sufficed.
Had a great trip, sure you will too.
An Israeli stamp is likely to be at least problematic' trying to enter Lebanon or Iran.

Note that travelling into Sinai from Eilat a Taba Border Crossing stamp is unavoidable. Although this is a Egyptian stamp, it proves the holder has visited Israel and authorities in Syria know this, and will refuse entry. Officials in Iran, Lebanon etc. may or may not be equally savvy.

BF Supporter 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: