Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 21st December 2011, 09:49   #26
mooreorless

Frank for giggles I tried the Bushnell 2 1/2 extender on this 8x28. It didn't fit right but wasn't a bad view at all in a pinch for more power. This was before my wife wrapped it for Christmas.
Old Thursday 26th January 2012, 17:06   #27
Cluster

After asking for some advice on budget priced compact bins in another thread, I bought a pair of these.

I must say that I had prepared myself to accept a few compromises due to the size of these. I had a surprise when I used them.

I unpacked them and tried them out in the yard, then again to compare them to my Nikon Monarch 8x42. I am aware that this may not represent a fair comparison, but at least provides a kind of yardstick.

First, and as warned, they aren't small and not very light, not at least as I remember my Nikon 8x25 compacts to be, but are significantly smaller and lighter than my (now damaged) Barska 8x32 Blackhawks. These fit my face far better than the smaller compacts and so have an instant feeling of being usable (I don't wear glasses). Given the "fit & feel", I'm happy enough with the size and weight.

The view through them on this overcast day is very good indeed. In good light, excellent detail within the large sweet spot and a wide FOV. They have a significant "warm" colour cast in comparison to my Monarch and the view is not as bright. I would say that the Excursion has a little more contrast, this probably helps the impression that they are sharper. In comparison with the Monarchs, the sweet spot is larger too.

The large focus knob is quite firm to rotate, not too much to be a big problem, but I hope that it becomes easier with use. Otherwise, the ergonomics suit me.

As described in other threads, the accessories are a little unusual, objective caps that look as if they will come off easily and get lost, a wide strap that's far too long and a wonderful case that might be large enough to fit a cheese sandwich in addition to the binoculars.

Overall I'm very pleased with them and will keep them. If I were to look again, I would be very interested in the (smaller, lighter & brighter) Opticron Discovery 8x32 WP PC at a street price around 120. I had set myself a target price of up to 100, and spent 70 inc delivery so feel that the Excursions represent great value.

(My wife's Opticron discovery 8x32 WP PC bins have a minor issue where I can't quite achieve the same level of sharpness in the right barrel as I can in the left (with either eye), so although I can compare FOV, image colour, brightness, weight, size and handling, I can't properly compare resolution between these two.)

Dave.

Edit: After trying them again in poorer light, the Excursions (not surprisingly) give a less detailed view than the Monarchs. This edit is made to emphasise that in good light only, there is little difference between them.

Last edited by Cluster : Friday 27th January 2012 at 09:41. Reason: Correction
Old Tuesday 31st January 2012, 23:53   #28
BrightIdea

Short story about the 8x28:
I have made friends with a guy at work who has been birding for decades, does most of his ID's via song and flight pattern/profile, and hasnt looked through a new bino since Nixon was in office. Seriously. He is OLD SCHOOL. He has a small porro leitz ??? and a Zeiss porro that I havent seen yet. He has zero access to the internet and is influenced by absolutely nothing other than his own eyes.

He tried my viper 8x42 last year and really liked them.
I recently brought in my sightron SII 8x32, Theron LT 8x32, ProOptic10x42, Bushnell 7x36Excursion, Yosemite Porro 6x32, and the little 8x28 excursion for him to try.

After looking at all 6 binos and his leitz (?) he said he preferred the 8x28!
Old Wednesday 1st February 2012, 15:03   #29
Tero
Couch birder

It's decent. Mine is more than 5 years old and the thin plastic over the eye cups came off twice, I glued it back on. I never put the strap on, they fit in my coat pocket.

I now have a 8x25 that is asingle hinge sold out model and it is essentially the same but better eye cups.

The 10x28 of the same Bushnell is junk.
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 1st February 2012, 18:39   #30
BrightIdea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
I never put the strap on, they fit in my coat pocket.

I now have a 8x25 that is asingle hinge sold out model and it is essentially the same but better eye cups.

I like the size, it fits in many coat pockets but not quite all. My straps come on and off regularly, so those goofy bushnell snaps come in handy for me.

Which 8x25? I'd be interested in checking it out. My 8x28 is single hinge as well, as I think all were. The larger x36 and x42 excursions are open hinge design.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: