• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

The free-flying Harewood birds (up to four together) were a mixture of ringed and unringed birds. I used to see them by the lake on most WeBS visits up to August 2008 but I haven't seen one there since then.
Perhaps people got fed up of reporting them, but there have been very few reports in the Leeds area in the last few years. If the Harewood birds have died out it will make acceptance of a genuine vagrant at the right time of year easier, but is mid-winter the right time for a genuine wild bird?

As of late April 2010 there were still three free-flyers at Harewood, or so they told me after I saw three storks together in York.

As of late April 2010 there were still three free-flyers at Harewood, or so they told me after I saw three storks together in York.

Could I ask who 'they' were, and where the information came from, e.g. directly from Bird Garden staff or just hearsay. It would be important to establish whether there are still free-flying birds from Harewood, and any others from similar collections (I seem to remember an escape from somewhere other than Harewood in the York area last year), if anyone wants to add a genuine White Stork to their Yorkshire list.

Double congratulations for Birdguides photos. Clare Scott has photo of the week and Marcus has a runners up spot for photo of the year. Excellent pictures both.

Glossy Ibis

Whilst checking through the gulls at North Cave Wetlands this pm all of a sudden a lot of the flock suddenly took to the air, suspecting a raptor may be passing over i checked with my naked eye and saw a dark shape above them thinking the bird was going to be either a Marsh Harrier or Cormorant but when a got my bins on it, to say i was shocked and surprised to see a GLOSSY IBIS would be a bit of an understatement!
The bird flew over Main Lake headed towards Village Lake circled over there an appeared to be going to land but then gained height again and started to fly South after dashing out of the hide the bird was then watched flying off further South (and would have been viewable from my garden!) and over the old railway embankment and finally lost to view c3.20pm as it headed off towards the Humber.

Grand

Had a grand day out on the bicycle today. Went over to Wintersett area and saw a lesser spotted woodpecker - in Haw Wood near the gate that takes you up to the old Waterton stone bird hide. Showed really well. Good number of Siskins & Lesser Redpoll here as well. The birds in winter residence were all on show - American Wigeon showing very close to path, distant view of the drake Smew on wintersett, the Greenland White Fronted Goose was having a kip on the ice on Wintersett with the greylags. BN Grebe had been seen but I didnt see it today.

Headed back to Pugneys and at first two Bitterns were flying over the reeds and then I had to double check when I saw 3 birds (yep, defo three) of which 1 showed really well on the ice. Had to leave the show when the guy came to lock the hide, plus I was frozen by now!! Final highlight of the day was the SE Owl on Calders. :t:

Then spent about 40 mins washing the bike!!!

Finally caught up with the ring-billed gull at Sands Lane Gravel Pit, Mirfield this morning, at the third attempt.
I'm happy now.

Chris

a glorious day in!!!

stay at home day but all not lost garden spots as follows
starlings 20+,chaffinch 4,house sparrows 25+,robin,wren,sparrowhawk,blackbirds 12-15,thrush 2,fieldfare,blue tit,great tit,pied wag,pheasant,jackdaw 2.

not bad for a chilly afternoon in the conservatory :t:

Attachments

• a1a.jpg
    a1a.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 65
  • a2a.jpg
    a2a.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 64
Finally caught up with the ring-billed gull at Sands Lane Gravel Pit, Mirfield this morning, at the third attempt.
I'm happy now.

Chris

well done CHRIS . i see patience paid off.. thats not a bad average (third attempt) i bet you will be going again now you have seen it once

3 Blackcap feeding together in the garden of my flat in Headingley, Leeds, this afternoon. Also red kite, jay, nuthatch, 20+ redwings, goldcrest.

Bittern

Showing well at Bempton RSPB early this afternoon
Bittern009edited.jpg

Does anyone know if there are Goshawks in the woods at Harewood?

I read on the internet recently that there are although I thought it sounded unlikely.

Chris

Does anyone know if there are Goshawks in the woods at Harewood?

I read on the internet recently that there are although I thought it sounded unlikely.

Chris

The Harewood House site claims as much... http://www.harewood.org/grounds/grounds-bird-garden/wild-birds But I doubt it.

At least one former poster on here saw Goshawks in the area a few years ago but I have never seen one in many dozens of visits. You need to head a good way further north to have a good chance of seeing them.

Given the problems of persecution even in areas close to Harewood, with four Red Kites poisoned and an Eagle Owl shot not far away, I would suggest that even if anyone knows better, no details should be posted on here. There are far fewer birds of prey than the habitat of the Wharfe, Aire, and Washburn Valleys should support already, publicity isn't likely to improve that.

I did see over forty Red Kites and eight Buzzards between Bramhope and Eccup today, though.

Last edited:
Could I ask who 'they' were, and where the information came from, e.g. directly from Bird Garden staff or just hearsay. It would be important to establish whether there are still free-flying birds from Harewood, and any others from similar collections (I seem to remember an escape from somewhere other than Harewood in the York area last year), if anyone wants to add a genuine White Stork to their Yorkshire list.

Harewood staff by email.

The Harewood House site claims as much... http://www.harewood.org/grounds/grounds-bird-garden/wild-birds But I doubt it.

At least one former poster on here saw Goshawks in the area a few years ago but I have never seen one in many dozens of visits. You need to head a good way further north to have a good chance of seeing them.

Given the problems of persecution even in areas close to Harewood, with four Red Kites poisoned and an Eagle Owl shot not far away, I would suggest that even if anyone knows better, no details should be posted on here. There are far fewer birds of prey than the habitat of the Wharfe, Aire, and Washburn Valleys should support already, publicity isn't likely to improve that.

I did see over forty Red Kites and eight Buzzards between Bramhope and Eccup today, though.
It is unfortunate but, mainly for the reasons Graham gives above, this is the right response to this question on any open forum.There are one or two rumoured sites not so far away but I really doubt in any responsible birder will be shouting details from the rooftops.

Lovely mixed flock of finches outside work this morning. 5 Greenfinch, 2 Goldfinch, 2 Siskin and around 20 Redpoll.

I don't have bins with me but will bring them tomorrow as a couple of the redpolls looked quite pale!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back