Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 9th February 2012, 22:30   #1
Chhayanat

Pentax 560mm f5.6 announced

Though Bird_Bill has mentioned this already in the previous thread, it might not be out of place to make a dedicated thread for this new Pentax lens, seeing that this is a long lens from Pentax after rather a while. Only a picture has been released and the brief blurbs from Pentax are hardly informative, but the new lens bears comment, even if it is speculative:

i) It would be a DA lens made for the APS-C sensor. It might not be readily usable with a 35mm film camera. Pentax DA lenses do not have aperture rings. Therefore it would be dependent on the DSLR to set the aperture.

ii) Pentax coatings are of high quality. This lens could scarcely fail to have those coatings.

iii) It ought to have autofocus but this is not spelt out. Pentax autofocus, though accurate, remains slower than Canon and Nikon autofocus. Birds in flight will be the main challenge.

iii) The lens is reportedly optimised for rendering distant subjects particularly sharp and is based on the optics used in astronomical telescopes. This claim is not very enlightening but raises questions about the minimum focus distance. It also implies use of ED elements, or does it?

iv) The f5.6 base aperture means that the lens might just about be portable, though the 560mm focal length means a risky outlook for handheld use.

v) Pentax metering even with its DA lenses was a little iffy till the K20D but appears to have improved with the K-7 and K-5. AE metering will certainly be a great boon to the user, especially the TAV mode where the user sets the aperture and shutter speed and the camera sets the ISO.

vi) Pentax's in-camera stabilisation will help in getting getting a few stops of exposure from the camera.

vii) Pricing will be an important consideration. If the lens is priced between USD 1500-2500, it ought to sell well to Pentax and Samsung DSLR users.

The lens is due some time in 2012. Let us hope the long wait for Pentax users has been worthwhile.
Chhayanat
Old Thursday 9th February 2012, 23:58   #2
Bird_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
Though Bird_Bill has mentioned this already in the previous thread, it might not be out of place to make a dedicated thread for this new Pentax lens, seeing that this is a long lens from Pentax after rather a while. Only a picture has been released and the brief blurbs from Pentax are hardly informative, but the new lens bears comment, even if it is speculative:

i) It would be a DA lens made for the APS-C sensor. It might not be readily usable with a 35mm film camera. Pentax DA lenses do not have aperture rings. Therefore it would be dependent on the DSLR to set the aperture.

ii) Pentax coatings are of high quality. This lens could scarcely fail to have those coatings.

iii) It ought to have autofocus but this is not spelt out. Pentax autofocus, though accurate, remains slower than Canon and Nikon autofocus. Birds in flight will be the main challenge.

iii) The lens is reportedly optimised for rendering distant subjects particularly sharp and is based on the optics used in astronomical telescopes. This claim is not very enlightening but raises questions about the minimum focus distance. It also implies use of ED elements, or does it?

iv) The f5.6 base aperture means that the lens might just about be portable, though the 560mm focal length means a risky outlook for handheld use.

v) Pentax metering even with its DA lenses was a little iffy till the K20D but appears to have improved with the K-7 and K-5. AE metering will certainly be a great boon to the user, especially the TAV mode where the user sets the aperture and shutter speed and the camera sets the ISO.

vi) Pentax's in-camera stabilisation will help in getting getting a few stops of exposure from the camera.

vii) Pricing will be an important consideration. If the lens is priced between USD 1500-2500, it ought to sell well to Pentax and Samsung DSLR users.

The lens is due some time in 2012. Let us hope the long wait for Pentax users has been worthwhile.
Chhayanat
Raise some great points,if it is in price range mentioned,will be very competative.
Pentax has deep foundation in spotting,and telescope's.A big benefit.
Very curious about elements/grouping and use of ED and fluoro components.
Have a A400/5.6,fixed rear element extension gives mag. ratio of .21 and allows for minimum focus distance of 2.8 meters.Not bad for 400mm focal length. If this new piece is engineerd in same manner,mag. ratio of around .28 and minimum focus distance bit under 4 meters entirely feasable.
Prefer apeture ring myself,will concede lack of does help in weather sealing.Thumb wheels ok,Im just old school.
Still shoot some film,vignetting a question here.

Wanna see it Chhayanat?
Heres what pentax has released regarding prototype.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...-mount-adapter
BF Supporter 2012
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 10th February 2012, 08:22   #3
Hor Kee
Penang birder

If I was a Pentax user I'll be eyeing this lens with much interest. Should be smaller (but not by much) from the Sigma 500mm F/4.5 lens that currently constitutes the only 500mm prime option for Pentax users (bar those mirror lenses). My hunch is that it would be boradly similar in size to Canon's 500mm F/5.6 FD manual-focus lens as stated here http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...mmFLUORITE.htm. Even then, at 2.7kg, not quite handholdable for birds in flight. Do note that the Canon lens was for full-frame film cameras only while word has it that Pentax's offerring is only for APS-C crop sensors.
Old Friday 10th February 2012, 12:10   #4
HokkaidoStu
occasional moderator

Wow, kudos to Pentax. A great looking prospect as a birding lens and I'd bet nowhere near as mind blowingly expensive as the superteles from Canon and Nikon (and that new Sony 500 f4). If Canon made a similar lens I'd be all over it................
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Friday 10th February 2012, 18:26   #5
gwing

Yes it is exciting times. After years of nothing we had the 200 and 300 arrive. Now there is the 550 and a 120-380 zoom as well, specs are thin on that but it might be a good option for BIF if we are lucky.
Old Friday 10th February 2012, 19:04   #6
tomkeet

Great News from Pentax. Hope the 560mm will be in the same class optically as the DA* 300mm and FA*600 and I will be well pleased.
Old Saturday 11th February 2012, 11:47   #7
Chhayanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkeet View Post
Great News from Pentax. Hope the 560mm will be in the same class optically as the DA* 300mm and FA*600 and I will be well pleased.
For most Pentax DSLR users, though not all, pricing will continue to be an important consideration. They will not pay for optical quality regardless of price. Kowa's recent Prominar lens/scope missed a niche market for Pentax not only on account of the price, but also because their adapter for Pentax does not allow the camera to set the shutter speed through its 'green button' after the f-stop has been set with the aperture ring. The optical quality of the Kowa lens/scope is among the best today.
Chhayanat
Old Saturday 11th February 2012, 12:47   #8
RJM
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Not sure what niche market you think Kowa missed as the Pentax K-5 with the way cool F-AF 1.7x on the Kowa Photoscope is a very popular combo.

Last edited by RJM : Saturday 11th February 2012 at 21:39.
Old Saturday 11th February 2012, 19:02   #9
Bird_Bill

Have yet to use any lens with or without apeture coupling lever and/or apeture ring that could not meter as a point of reference or establish a base point with K20 or K5.Cant quite understand why Kowa lens/scope adapter couldnt be shot in same manner.That being said,almost always shoot in manual mode when done.Recently,after adding K5 have used Av mode quite a bit for tammy 360B both with and without AF1.7x.Good general use settup for me,lot of flexabilty.Even with AF1.7x still fairly descent IQ.Resolving power at high mag. or longer distance being largest issue.That's point were longer focal length comes into consideration. FA*600 is no longer available to us here,tried and would have (new) one if it was. Know exactly what (*) is and what it means in quality of optics and IQ.Dont see that glass being used in new piece and marketed at very small and specific nische. Interperation of this new 560mm is something being priced in manner to have broad appeal to many.Somewhat in same vein as DA 55-300 Only time and release will tell.

Put * optics in a 560mm manual focus tube,price it at 3k usd...I"ll campout on a sidewalk for it.
BF Supporter 2012
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 22:33   #10
Chhayanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
Not sure what niche market you think Kowa missed as the Pentax K-5 with the way cool F-AF 1.7x on the Kowa Photoscope is a very popular combo.
It could well be so in Japan but members of the one of the largest Pentax websites, Pentaxforums, seem to have a marked lack of enthusiasm for the Kowa Prominar lens/scope. And most of the members seem to be devoted Pentax users. Perhaps, they have not been educated about the possibilities of the Kowa lens/scope when used with the Pentax.
Chhayanat
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 22:59   #11
JPAC
Just need one good photo

Wish Nikon did one, (500mm f5.6 that is - suit a D800).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pentax560f5.6.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	369253  
Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 03:59   #12
eastwood

To imagine the actual size and weight of this lens, I'll just take Canon's 400 f4DO for a rough comparision. The DO design is claimed to save weight and size on a conventional 400mm f4, yet it still weighs just below 2000grams, with the 1.4X, it will become a 560f5.6, and should reach the 2Kg bar.
But if Pentax can sell it at an attractive price, there should be many potential customers, particularly they don't have to include an IS group of elements in the lens as it is a built-in camera function.

Last edited by eastwood : Thursday 16th February 2012 at 06:45. Reason: typo
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Old Saturday 18th February 2012, 09:16   #13
impotentspider

My thoughts on this would be a DA lens, a* designation would put the lens beyond many peoples budgets, it goes without saying that the lens will have SMC coating and possibly the newer dirt repellent coating too, weather sealing would not really add much to the cost as it would be relatively inexpensive to do on a fixed focal length and I cant see the lens not being AF, as to whether this will be screw drive or SDM remains to be seen, SDM will certainly hike up the price and increase the size and weight of the beast.

My guess is if the lens is DA with screw drive AF we will be looking at 2000-3000
if its going to be a DA* with SDM then its going to be 5000+

People say "dont buy Pentax as they don't have long lenses" yeah right, as if we could afford them anyway could afford them anyway
Old Sunday 19th February 2012, 03:15   #14
Bird_Bill

Seen some video footage of CP+ display.Last minute or so is spent on 560mm F/5.6. Clearly shows three knobs,
my interpretation is...
Foward-hood lock, mid-tripod collar lock, aft- focus limiter? Cant imagine what else it might be back there.
Curious about ability to manual focus in addition to AF function. Quick shift comes to mind,such as on other DA series screw drives. Currency converter here in agreement with Alan's speculation.

Last edited by Bird_Bill : Sunday 19th February 2012 at 03:21.
BF Supporter 2012
Old Sunday 19th February 2012, 09:55   #15
Hor Kee
Penang birder

Is it me, or does the lens itself telescope or collapse inwards for storage?
Old Wednesday 22nd February 2012, 10:29   #16
gwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hor Kee View Post
Is it me, or does the lens itself telescope or collapse inwards for storage?
It does look as if that might be the case and there has been considerable speculation about that on the Pentax forums, it certainly would be an interesting eature. When asked on the subject all the Pentax spokesman would say was 'the design is not yet finalised and may change' so we'll have to wait and see.
Old Wednesday 22nd February 2012, 16:12   #17
Bird_Bill

Sounds like Borg modular telescope system.At least that thing has an image circle that'll cover 6cm x 7cm film plane.Believe that Borg is for astrophotography.Kowa lens scope will cover standard 135 format 24mm x 36mm plane.That prototype has the look of just that,a prototype.Fit and finish doesnt seem typical of Asahi legacy.

Last edited by Bird_Bill : Wednesday 22nd February 2012 at 16:14.
BF Supporter 2012
Old Friday 1st June 2012, 04:12   #18
coreyhkh

Any new info on this lens I want it.
Old Friday 1st June 2012, 19:25   #19
eenymac

I'm interested in this lens too, so keeping an eye out for any new information week after week.

Still no news right now that I have found. I don't really expect anything concrete until around the end of the year.... although I want it NOW!
Old Monday 4th June 2012, 00:00   #20
Bird_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenymac View Post
I'm interested in this lens too, so keeping an eye out for any new information week after week.

Still no news right now that I have found. I don't really expect anything concrete until around the end of the year.... although I want it NOW!
Many of us are eeny'. Asahi-Pentax having so many groundbreaking contributions to phototography over the years, is with great anticipation. Spotmatics, lens coatings...that autofocus lens in early '80s
(well OK maybe not ALL those ideals)
Can only hope "concrete" is a figure of speech....
Gonna be tough(er) on em this time. Shot a couple of LX for along time now,
hard to please, but know they can get it right when they put their minds to it.

Edit: been passing time waiting for intro of 560mm F/5.6 trying to figure out what the heck I did last fall when swapped a roll of 200 ektachrome from LX to an old ZX-L and double exposed tiger swallowtail on tornado damaged feeder in backyard. Cant figure out how film didnt register properly, for life of me, could use little more time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200EK_19AH_ZXL_016.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	388487  

Last edited by Bird_Bill : Monday 4th June 2012 at 04:25.
BF Supporter 2012
Old Thursday 19th July 2012, 21:22   #21
Chhayanat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird_Bill View Post
Many of us are eeny'. Asahi-Pentax having so many groundbreaking contributions to phototography over the years, is with great anticipation. Spotmatics, lens coatings...that autofocus lens in early '80s
(well OK maybe not ALL those ideals)
Can only hope "concrete" is a figure of speech....
Gonna be tough(er) on em this time. Shot a couple of LX for along time now,
hard to please, but know they can get it right when they put their minds to it.

Edit: been passing time waiting for intro of 560mm F/5.6 trying to figure out what the heck I did last fall when swapped a roll of 200 ektachrome from LX to an old ZX-L and double exposed tiger swallowtail on tornado damaged feeder in backyard. Cant figure out how film didnt register properly, for life of me, could use little more time.
I notice that the last post in this Pentax thread (as well in the entire Cameras and Photography Pentax Forum) is from 4 June 2012. Oughtn't Pentax to hurry up a little with their 560mm lens as even their other threads have nothing new? Pentax customers are relatively undemanding, being grateful for the crumbs thrown to them by the company, owing to their relatively low prices. And they have a core of loyalists who are ready to draw swords at any slight from supporters of the competition. Pentax should do their bit and oblige by producing something in the +400mm category to justify the customer loyalty which is evidently theirs.
Chhayanat
Old Friday 20th July 2012, 23:26   #22
Bird_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
I notice that the last post in this Pentax thread (as well in the entire Cameras and Photography Pentax Forum) is from 4 June 2012. Oughtn't Pentax to hurry up a little with their 560mm lens as even their other threads have nothing new? Pentax customers are relatively undemanding, being grateful for the crumbs thrown to them by the company, owing to their relatively low prices. And they have a core of loyalists who are ready to draw swords at any slight from supporters of the competition. Pentax should do their bit and oblige by producing something in the +400mm category to justify the customer loyalty which is evidently theirs.
Chhayanat
Thats up to folks at corporate. Pretty much a curiousity for me, nothing more. Does take time for tooling of production lines, QA testing, Inventory to build to sufficient numbers before shipping and so on. Die hard, core support for Pentax arent so much the APS shooters, its professionals shooting medium format gear. Its their base, its been there for awhile and will continue to be so.
BF Supporter 2012
Old Tuesday 11th September 2012, 15:58   #23
njlarsen
Opus Editor

From DP review: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...AW-for-K-mount

The new HD PENTAX DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW will be available at retail outlets nationwide and online in December 2012 with a suggested retail price of $6,999.95.

Niels
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Thursday 13th September 2012, 12:35   #24
kurakura

Nice one... for those who cannot wait they can get the very similar Borg 125 or the Black Borg 77EDII apochromatic Refractor telescope. Borg has indeed been in on developing this lens.
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2012, 15:15   #25
ariban

USD 7000!!! That is the indicative MRP it seems and that sure hurts!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: