• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (19 Viewers)

Thats the big WILLOW tree, well-renown for their capacity to suck up water in this WETLAND reserve, which was split and posing a real danger to the visiting public right by the path?

Since organising these work parties 28 years ago, I/we have always been criticised for some of the work carried out. I remember those early days being slagged off for cutting willows down in the North Moors, within 2 years a thriving reed bed resulted. I rise above these personal attacks now, because I know what we are doing is right and proper for this wetland habitat. Many people's concerns are about trees being pollarded/coppiced (which isn't killing the trees, it is actually prolonging their life). We do try to explain to people (who are interested)the work and its benefits to wildlife, for the most part they soon understand and agree with it. However there are a couple of people who have their own agendas and whatever we do they will pick faults with it. Maybe if we walked away they could come and take over. But I know they wouldn't because they don't have the interest of Upton and its wildlife at heart. I would like to enter into a debate with these people giving it the 'big un' and maybe one day they will realise that all their negativity is not helping Upton Warren - but then again that's for us to prove by our actions, that we are doing the right thing.
If anyone is interested in the welfare and upkeep of the reserve, then come to the Flashes or Moors work parties and like the 60 or so active volunteers, help us and get to understand the complexities of managing this brilliant place. We are open to any ideas or worries about our management, if anyone wants to discuss habitat management or our future plans and the way forward please discuss here.
If anyone wants to discuss personal matters PM or email me. I don't want this forum to sink into a slanging match and will not get into any debate that is not about Upton warren.
keep the faithB :)John

You guys are talking here, my goodness! Where's the efficiency in this? What people are really interested in are the latest sightings, nothing else.
Anyway, will visit your place tomorrow. If you see a young man dressed in black, red and gold challenging everyone around to a penalty shootout - give me a wave!

I will lay claim to the 20th as it's my 18th and would be a nice prezzie :t:

I will be down for the work party on the 4th and I am slowly convincing the old man to join me :t:

Glad to hear about the hide opening and as to hear of the breakin at the moors. Mixed emotions in the past few days regarding the reserve.

Jim
Ps. John I found one of the pairs of wire cutters in my coat pocket after the work party, will return them to you lads as soon as I see you o:)

I will lay claim to the 20th as it's my 18th and would be a nice prezzie :t:

I will be down for the work party on the 4th and I am slowly convincing the old man to join me :t:

Glad to hear about the hide opening and as to hear of the breakin at the moors. Mixed emotions in the past few days regarding the reserve.

Jim
Ps. John I found one of the pairs of wire cutters in my coat pocket after the work party, will return them to you lads as soon as I see you o:)

Cheers Jim
We didn't work you too hard then if you are coming back for more8-P
B :)John

Not at all John, I will be reaping the benefits of the work parties with everyone who visits the reserve in the coming months when we get some rarities :t:

Jim

You guys are talking here, my goodness! Where's the efficiency in this? What people are really interested in are the latest sightings, nothing else.
Anyway, will visit your place tomorrow. If you see a young man dressed in black, red and gold challenging everyone around to a penalty shootout - give me a wave!

Well without all the work put in by these good people having an after dark natter, there would be little in the way of latest sightings..I am certainly interested :t:

for latest sightings... http://birdingtoday.co.uk/online_bird_news_2.html

My first morning back birding, at the Flashes this year.
The water was at about 0.49 and the wind was a moderate to strong SW. Sunny mostly with heavy clouds late on.
Teal 35, Oystercatcher, curlew 15, lapwing 20, BHG c200, 5 linnets in front of the hide.
Behind the 3rd Flash was a mixed flock of about 300, mostly redwing with a few fieldfare and starlings.
plus 2 siskin and a lesser redpoll on south side of sailing pool in larches.

At The Moors this afternoon:
GCG 4 (1 pr building a nest), Little grebe, cormorant 23, Shoveler 23, Teal c30, shelduck pr, gadwall pr, Pochard 21 (15 males), Tufted 51, (29 males), Coot 105, mute swan building a nest.
Snipe 9, curlew 8 (could be different to the Flashes), lapwing 60+, Oystercatcher, Herring gull 10,

I'm assuming this is an example of (very) dry teutonic humour? Who'd have thought it....8-P

Seems like we have our very own Henning Wehn 3:)

We look forward to seeing your sightings posted on here tomorrow night:smoke:

I said I was assuming -of course, I may be proved wrong in that assumption.

I might post some details of bird sightings at some point in the future but, for now, I'm quite content to drone on about any old inconsequential, inane claptrap. Anyone think they can stop me?:eat:

Last edited:
It would be great to see everyone visiting the reserve post their sightings on here.
But the facts are these: (Got my anorak on 8-P)
In the last week there has been 160 postings of these only 23 refer to sightings and some of these vaguely refer to sightings within the post. The 1500 hits that this forum gets per day is testimony that its not just about the birds, its about all things Upton warren.
Although we must remember that this month is traditionally the low point for birds on the reserve.
It would be nice that during the spring half the posts will be about our sightings:t:

Last edited:
One (most likely) last question for today:
I like this little hide at Hen Pool, the first hide on the way to the flashes to the left of the path. Trouble is, are there any sightings sometimes? I have been there twice for about an hour each time, but to no avail. I don't mind waiting longer, if there only seems to be a reasonable chance of seeing something...

Wouldn't it be an idea to just keep this thread to UW sightings and start another one about migration patterns, work parties and general moans and groans. Just a thought as it's a great forum.

I like this little hide at Hen Pool, the first hide on the way to the flashes to the left of the path. Trouble is, are there any sightings sometimes? I have been there twice for about an hour each time, but to no avail. I don't mind waiting longer, if there only seems to be a reasonable chance of seeing something...

The Hen Pool is a little hidden gem with potential for greatness, as demonstrated last spring when Geoff Wardle discovered a Bluethroat. The hide comes into its own in August with many fledged Reed and Sedge Warblers feeding in very close proximity to the hide.

We strim the area in from of the hide twice a year - once in late March just before the warblers arrive and once in August when the warblers have fledged in the annual attempt to connect with an Aquatic Warbler, Spotted Crake, Little Bittern or similar.

How about a White-spotted Bluethroat in April last year mate is that good enough for you?

Wouldn't it be an idea to just keep this thread to UW sightings and start another one about migration patterns, work parties and general moans and groans. Just a thought as it's a great forum.

Tell you what mate why don't you join another forum if it winds you up that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back