• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Work parties

I would echo many of the comments made by Beyonder.

I began attending work parties at the North Moors Pool in 1986, where the objective was to coppice and/or remove willows that were encroaching into the reed-bed. As a fairly new birder at the time I hadn't really considered habitat, its management and creation. I just assumed, because I didn't see any work in action, that things remained the in same ideal state year in, year out. However a little reflection on the fact that trees "suck up" water will explain the drying ouit out of the reed-bed and its poor state. This was the start of me actually looking at habitat on other reserves I visited across the country and seeing a correlation with Upton (I did, and still do, mainly visit wetland reserves). The huge reed-beds at Cley, Minsmere, Titchwell, etc could not be replicated at Upton due to the small size of the site, but healthy reed-beds could certainly benefit, which means few encroaching trees/shrubs. The work in the last 25 years or so has, at its foundation, the same logic - if you want a wetland reserve (and after all that is in the official reserve name) then you have to sacrifice certain things on so small a site. This largely means no tall mature trees, and certainly none around the periphery of the pools. however scrub and managed 'woodland' will certainly complement the pools and marshy areas by attracting not only nesting birds but also insect and flora to a more open area. As has been said previously, initial work on large trees does look drastic in the short term, but these will re-grow as you will see during this year and next. Constraints due to other work has meant this work, which often needs outside contractors, has been put-off over many years. However, now this has been addressed, continuing managment of these areas will therefore have less initial visual impact. I think the fact that a number of the regulars, who have either picked this up over the years, or who have taken the time to research the management techniques (see Beyonder's reference to one of the books) means they do get a little fraught at times with the "Oh my god, they've cut a tree down" reaction. However, anyone who wants to have input into the management of the reserve, or just wants to come along and see what it's all about, is more than welcome to join any of the work-parties. At the Flashes these take place on the first Sunday of the month from October-march (with the odd extra one if the work-load dictates). At the Moors these happen every Tuesday throughout the year, with those during the breeding season tailored to avoid disturbing breeding birds - e.g. path maintenance, hide maintenance.

Sorry to have gone on, but hopefully the above will have helped those less regular visitors who can't see why certain works are carried out.

Mike

Just a quick note to say that I fully support all the work done by everyone on the work parties and if you disagree with that then reading this thread in full should convince you otherwise!

To show how much the reserve means to me I shall be coming down from York next weekend to help out with the work party (nothing to do with a yank warbler in wales...)

Look forward to seeing everyone one then!

Oh and I tried posting earlier but it didn't work but I had lrp on my campus lake here in York on march 9th last year so for you guys down south it should be a doodle getting on on march 8th which if it's still free would be my best guess to earn the beer!

As a newbie with no particular "affiliations" to anything other than the birds perhaps I can reassure you with some specifics. I originally joined the work parties because of concern regarding the impact of the drought on the Flashes. Not wishing to look an idiot, I'd done some research and, emboldened by informed opinion, I cautiously expressed those concerns to John who was running the particular work party. He was already ahead of me and the whole work party was focussed on that particular point anyway.

I have been on quite a few work parties since and everything I have done or seen done at UW over the last few months has been carefully explained and properly motivated - I know because I've looked it up (no offence to John, Phil or Paul - I'm just too curious and like to "know" what I'm doing). I have seen close up how many willows are encroaching into the reeds and the major woodland species which then begin to follow.

As Phil and John have explained it comes off a carefully informed management plan (with maps and everything) which is focussed on maintaining UW as a wetland - which, because of it's tiny size requires much more management than a lot of other reserves. I also know from experience that it is monitored regularly by the WWT officer.

So please let me reassure any doubters out there - unless you come to UW for its woodland and not it's wetland then the independent opinion suggests the work is necessary and appropriate. (A large tree can transpire ("sweat") many gallons of water every week). If you want further reassurance I'd recommend you start by checking out chapters 1, 6 and 7 of Managing Habitats for Conservation.

Personally I don't think we've done enough. Which is why we need all the help we can get at the final work party next week.

Ultimately of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating... all I can say is bring on the Spring!!

Paul

Paul no need for me to add to your succinct post, other than I have always invited peoples views and opinions and not just work party members. I have and probably still spend more time explaining and trying to help people understand the principles of wetland management. What we all must remember is that fundamentally Upton warren is as its name suggests a wetland. If the next time you visit an old gravel pit have a look around the periphery, all you will see is bramble willow and alder trees. There will be no grassland and no shore line. This is what happens to wetlands if they are not grazed or managed. I will post some other older pictures asap to show just how things are moving on. Yesterday we were treating the willows in the car park reed bed to stop it being sucked dry in the summer. The scrub/woodland management has ceased 2 weeks ago ready for the breeding season. Remaining tasks are all around the Amy's marsh Broadmeadow complex. Here we are trying to save the ever shrinking wader breeding grounds , principally for Oystercatcher and lapwing. Unfortunately the advancing tide of 1000's of willow and alder saplings in the area and the time to leave it too nature might well win the day. However we will put up a good fight to halt it. It will be at that point of abandonment that the criticism starts. But if this is the overwhelming view and opinion that people want and stop coming to the work parties, then there wont be a lot we can do. However my resolve is stronger than that and I will be the last to give in.
I know a lot of emotion is attached to the cutting of trees, but for those that are not aware of what coppicing and pollarding is, here are some links.
http://www.coppice.co.uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollarding
If I get time I will post more relevant info on management more specific to wetlands
B :)John

This morning's birding on the reserve:

MOORS POOL

4 GC Grebe, 1 Little Grebe, 28 Cormorant, 18 Pochard, 37 Tufted Duck, 2 Oyk, 6 Snipe, 16 Lapwing, 2 Mute Swan, 33 Shoveler, 175 BH Gull, 81 Coot, 7 Moorhen, 29 Canada G, 2 Rook over, Coal Tit along east track, 7 Teal.

FLASHES
2 Gadwall (pair) on third flash, 30 Canada G, 84 BH Gull, 8 Coot - the return of Coot to the Fklashes is always a good sign that Spring is just around the corner, 7 Moorhen, 7 Teal, 1 Grey Heron, 6 Snipe, Skylark, Herring Gull, 28 Mallard, 3 Buzzard, Goldcrest by the steps, 1 Mute Swan, 87 Lapwing.

SAILING POOL
4 GC Grebe, 2 Shoveler - the first time I can recall seeing this species in this location, 1 Mute Swan, 1 Coot, 1 Cormorant, 1 Lesser Redpoll and 4 Siskin in larches, 25 Mallard.

Last edited:
OK, I've read enough to know that I need to know more. When is the next work party, I will come along and give it a go dates permitting. (Not Sunday).

Next Sunday is the last Flashes work party before the breeding season break (which is why we need a mega-turnout as the hide build has left us with loads to do in one session - further compounded by the recent equipment theft), they'll recommence in October on the first Sunday of every month.
Tuesday work parties at the Moors continue all-rear 'round.

Just a quick note to say that I fully support all the work done by everyone on the work parties and if you disagree with that then reading this thread in full should convince you otherwise!

To show how much the reserve means to me I shall be coming down from York next weekend to help out with the work party (nothing to do with a yank warbler in wales...)

Oh and I tried posting earlier but it didn't work but I had lrp on my campus lake here in York on march 9th last year so for you guys down south it should be a doodle getting on on march 8th which if it's still free would be my best guess to earn the beer!

Hi mate. Des has got the 8th. 17th and 18th still up for grabs

This morning's birding on the reserve:

MOORS POOL

4 GC Grebe, 1 Little Grebe, 28 Cormorant, 18 Pochard, 37 Tufted Duck, 2 Oyk, 6 Snipe, 16 Lapwing, 2 Mute Swan, 33 Shoveler, 175 BH Gull, 81 Coot, 7 Moorhen, 29 Canada G, 2 Rook over, Coal Tit along east track, 7 Teal.

FLASHES
2 Gadwall (pair) on third flash, 30 Canada G, 84 BH Gull, 8 Coot - the return of Coot to the Fklashes is always a good sign that Spring is just around the corner, 7 Moorhen, 7 Teal, 1 Grey Heron, 6 Snipe, Skylark, Herring Gull, 28 Mallard, 3 Buzzard, Goldcrest by the steps, 1 Mute Swan, 87 Lapwing.

SAILING POOL
4 GC Grebe, 2 Shoveler - the first time I can recall seeing this species in this location, 1 Mute Swan, 1 Coot, 1 Cormorant, 1 Lesser Redpoll and 4 Siskin in larches, 25 Mallard.

To add to Phils sightings,

Very spring like with lots of birds giving it the beans.

Moors Pools - Mistle Thrush singing by Lifestyles, 3 Collard Doves, Siskin to Secret Garden area.

Some pics from this morning per the 'My Flickr' link below.

Cheers

Gert

Not a lot to add to above sightings, Water Rail showed at the concrete hide lots of vocal bullfinches about. 12 Curlew and 100+ Lapwing feeding in the sewage works field. Hide seems solid light and airy catches and bolts seem noisy but hopefully it will all settle down. Good to be back birding properly at the Flashes
Found a road kill Tawny Owl on the A38 Just past the bromsgrove island coming to upton showed a few people and I have left it beneath the reserve sign in the Moors car park presumably one that had a territory close by Incredible feathering

Not a lot to add to above sightings, Water Rail showed at the concrete hide lots of vocal bullfinches about. 12 Curlew and 100+ Lapwing feeding in the sewage works field. Hide seems solid light and airy catches and bolts seem noisy but hopefully it will all settle down. Good to be back birding properly at the Flashes
Found a road kill Tawny Owl on the A38 Just past the bromsgrove island coming to upton showed a few people and I have left it beneath the reserve sign in the Moors car park presumably one that had a territory close by Incredible feathering

A real shame :-C That's another one off the Spring All-day list.

Terrible news, the untimely death of any bird is upsetting, an owl especially so, not that I put the life of any species above another, just that they are few and far between :-C

Me and the wife spent a lovely 4 hours on the reserve today, weather was wonderful and the signs of spring were everywhere, we were particularly impressed with the shoveller displays, I have never witnessed that before. No sightings to add to Phils list other than a treecreeper by the Salwarpe, it was noticable how many bullfinches were around, great to see this lovely finch in abundance.

Oh and we bumped into whoever, a nice guy, hope to see him again, it's always nice to welcome new people to the reserve :t:

If I get the chance and a fox hasn't taken it I'll send it to the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology. They are doing a long term study on the causes of death of birds of prey. Have already sent them 2 dead Barn Owls. If you find any dead bird of prey, stick it in the fridge, and then send it to them. I'll post a link for details of where to send it when I get to my lap top.
Cheers.

Will be great to see you again Tim - says a lot about the reserve and its work parties when people are prepared to travel 150 miles to attend! :t:

You will enjoy the Yellowthroat - fantastic little bird. Good supporting cast with Lesser Scaup, Glossy Ibis and Boney's nearby.

Thanks for your infos regarding the Hen Pool hide, Sy and Forgetful Elephant!
My first day with various nice inductions today (and brilliant weather), thanks for everyone being so helpful!
Will come tomorrow again, don't know yet where to spend most of the time: Concrete hide for not seeing the Kingfisher, Hen's Pool hide for not seeing anything, or the new hide (which I like) for not seeing anything coming close enough to take a picture of.
But it is a lovely reserve, loads of potential, and despite the noise from the A38 just a fantastic place to be at - especially when the sun is shining.

Part of the reason for not seeing anything could be watching german football on your computer. definitley a new approach to birding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back