• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Spain specialities (1 Viewer)

Sorry to hear that Larry, well Snow Bunting is not a rarity in Spain but a scarcely encountered species, especially far from coasts, so it's not that bad.
Clearly (one of) your nemesis bird now...;)

Snow Bunting is not a rarity in Spain but a scarcely encountered species, especially far from coasts, so it's not that bad.

While I don't dispute that Snow Bunting is perhaps not rare enough in Spain for many twitchers, I think it would be described as rare in anyone elses notebook. It's certainly far, far rarer than Snowfinch.

Perhaps you have rough figures for the rest of Spain MotMot, and I would genuinely be interested to see them if you could post here. Doubtless the population is higher further west but here in Catalunya we're probably talking about may be ten birds a year in Winter and I've only ever found one (in the Pyrenees).

Anyway, a fantastic sighting Larry and just rewards for all the effort you clearly put in. Please try and report the sighting, if you would, to S.E.O.

All the best

This old study may give you a general idea Stephen. It's in spanish but if you scroll down you'll find a short summary in english. It shows it to be regular on the Galicia and Cantábrico coasts, rarer in the Mediterranean area and much rarer in the interior.

http://82.98.164.11/files/1383.pdf

Sightings in the last 20 years I've known about show a similar pattern.

Cheers,

Eduardo Amengual

On Serra de Estrela in central/north Portugal we have had a group of "a few" Snow Buntings this winter - also a few on coasts in the north and 3 birds very close to the Spanish border in the south - this last record being unusual. I have only seen one a few winters back with a flock of Skylark at Sagres.

Sorry to hear the bad luck with Snow Finch Larry - maybe they were at lower elevations?
I'm going to check for the best viewing site for the Ruppell's - give us a bit....

Just noticed the bit in the report I linked about Great Bustards - now that is NOT good info - the tracks opposite São Marcos de Atobeira are out of bounds and there are loads of other sites to see them.....(we can thank Mr. Gosney for this info - in his guide to the area he doesn't even mention the LPN - who manage the land).

Snow Buntings in Spain

This old study may give you a general idea Stephen.

Just got back from finding my first Little Crake of the season and seen this. VERY much appreciated Eduardo. Interesting reading and it does indeed seem that there are many more wintering birds further west, although I'd still say that Larry's sighting is a little better than 'not so bad'!

Many thanks for posting and all the best.

Just got back from finding my first Little Crake of the season and seen this. VERY much appreciated Eduardo. Interesting reading and it does indeed seem that there are many more wintering birds further west, although I'd still say that Larry's sighting is a little better than 'not so bad'!

Many thanks for posting and all the best.

Well, the 'not so bad' was a bit of an excuse for sending Larry to remote ski resorts almost no one ever birds! 8-P

Larry, the best I could find in English - see this link: http://aves.team-forum.net/t1886-portugal-trip-feb-2009

The viewing platform mentioned is the best place to view from I understand...

Simon

Hi Simon, sorry but the link sends us to a spanish site, and after trying many times to join, we can´t register. Any chance you could just cut and paste where this platform is into a message on here?

Thanks for your comments everyone, I´ll get round to reporting it at some point. My thoughts exactly were that if Nicky hadn´t taken the pics, then no-one would believe me! I´m having trouble believing my bad luck myself! Hopefully we´ll get a chance to look for them in late April May in the Pyrenees, so it would be great to get a recommendation of the most reliable site around then.

Thanks for all your help.

PS, if anyone hears of any mad rarities in Spain, eg the Mockingbird, I´d love to hear about them in case we drive past them.

Last edited:
Hi Larry, I had no idea that one had to sign up just to view posts in this Portuguese ;) forum - so I have copied the relevant text and images (attached) from a trip report by John Rayner:

"We reached Vila Vilha at 10.15 and stopped at an ancient olive grove on the outskirts of the village to get our bearings and also seeing Hoopoe, Crag Martins, Black Redstart, Serins, 3 Redwings plus commoner birds. Soon we found our way to Portas do Rodao, a magnificent setting viewed from a wooden platform, adjacent to a hilltop hermitage, which afforded full 360 degree views. Here we could overlook the vulture colony at Portas do Rodao, a huge rock portal on the opposite bank of the River Tagus.

Griffon Vultures flew by at eye level and a single Black Vulture passed low overhead but the main target remained elusive. A long wait ensued but birding continued with Sardinian Warbler, Subalpine Warbler in the surrounding scrub, Woodlarks in song flight, a Rock Bunting on the approach road and a Black Stork on the river.

A Portuguese birder arrived briefly to monitor vulture nesting and confirmed that the Ruppell’s Vulture had been seen a couple of days earlier. It is over-wintering at the colony and was even seen nest building in 2008 but can occasionally go missing for a few days. He thought late afternoon was our best chance when more birds would come in to roost. Sure enough, at 15.15, we picked out the Ruppell’s Vulture, first in flight, then perched on a ledge where it preened (arrow)".

The Google map image won't be very clear but I'm sure you can check in more detail - try Vila Velha de Rodão as a search in Google maps.

Oh...and one thing, although the Portuguese are kind and friendly they don't like being thought of as an extension of Spain - they are as different as the English and Irish, maybe more so! ;)

Good luck!

Simon

Attachments

• Portas_do_Rodao.jpg
    Portas_do_Rodao.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 48
  • VilaVelha.jpg
    VilaVelha.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 49
Many thanks Simon. We're in Portugal now. Sorry about the faux pas, but we had such a brief time on the internet that I didn't notice it was Portuguese! We're in Portugal now, and just trying to learn a little of the language. We're a bit lost here, even though we can just about get by in simple spanish in Spain.

Just about to post a report of the first part of the trip in the trip report section.

Big thank you to Simon Wates for the Ruppell's gen, as we saw the bird the other day :t:

Another question.... when do the White-rumped Swifts start arriving in southern Spain, and where's the best site these days?

Larry - great news that you reaped the Rüppell's!

The earliest White-rumped Swifts I know of arrive in about the 3rd week of April but mainly in early May. It is the latest of our summer visitors to arrive. I know Little Swiftes are about between Chipiona and Sanlucar de Barrameda though....

Larry - great news that you reaped the Rüppell's!

The earliest White-rumped Swifts I know of arrive in about the 3rd week of April but mainly in early May. It is the latest of our summer visitors to arrive. I know Little Swiftes are about between Chipiona and Sanlucar de Barrameda though....

Ah, I think we'll have to be heading north by then:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back