Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 13th February 2012, 22:40   #51
LowellMills
Is this your Sanderling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bullough View Post
I have been looking for BH Gull white ring "T73" which I have seen and photographed 4 times, tried various suggestions with as yet no replies.
Brian
I've seen T73 in January too. Whitley Bay Links by any chance? Couldn't believe my first wander around my new neighbourhood got me a colour ring. Have also checked CR and reported to Euring and also had nothing. My thoughts are that T73 and the other above-mentioned white-ring/1 letter/2 numbers BH gull are both part of a project whose data has not been centrally received yet and therefore our sightings can't yet be passed on to them or their data back to us. Patience is a virtue I guess.
Old Tuesday 14th February 2012, 10:30   #52
TGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellMills View Post
I've seen T73 in January too. Whitley Bay Links by any chance? Couldn't believe my first wander around my new neighbourhood got me a colour ring. Have also checked CR and reported to Euring and also had nothing. My thoughts are that T73 and the other above-mentioned white-ring/1 letter/2 numbers BH gull are both part of a project whose data has not been centrally received yet and therefore our sightings can't yet be passed on to them or their data back to us. Patience is a virtue I guess.
Hi

I suspect part of the problem with T73 is that the colour ring could be damaged, the colour ringing web site www.cr-birding.org doesn't have a project registered which matches this. This site has been totally re-built over recent months and I think but am not sure that all Black-headed Gull projects have been added. Occaisionally colour rings break and can lose a character (or more) - is there any evidence of breakage on the photos?

The European co-ordinator for small gull colour ringing projects is Kjeld Pedersen : ktpedersen AT snm.ku.dk OR ktpedersen AT mail.dk and all projects should be registered with him so it's probably worth contacting him directly.

Cheers

Tim
Old Tuesday 14th February 2012, 18:25   #53
LowellMills
Is this your Sanderling?

No recollection of it looking like there'd been loss of a character from the code, though I accept it as a slim possibility. Searching CR I'd say that it's from one of two projects: KT Pedersen's own project in Denmark or the Polish project run by Ciach et al. It'll be a shame if the last number's missing but it narrows it down to a max of 10 individuals, possibly ringed in a single session! Thanks for the inspiration Tim. Brian I'll PM you.
Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 11:31   #54
LowellMills
Is this your Sanderling?

A reply from the Polish bhgull group confirms t73 as one ringed in Denmark by kt pedersen.
Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 22:40   #55
IanF

Mediterranean Gull red darvic PEE7 was seen today at Newburn Bridge, Hartlepool.

Info received from a friend who saw the same bird at Redcar in 2007. It was ringed at Rheinau-Freistett in the Upper Rhine Valley, Germany, as a chick on 15th May 1999. Though meanwhile it may have carried another colour ring (CY5) that was replaced. That ring was sighted several times in 2004 at Marske on 31st July, 1st August and 9th Oct.

I've reported it to the BTO/Euring so they may get back to me at some point.
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 19th February 2012, 19:11   #56
GiG

I've just sent details off of a med gull with red ring with white 8P4 that I saw on the patch last november that I'd forgotten about. Have also sent details of a recent black-tailed godwit YRL GYG which looking at CR-Birding comes from a ringing scheme nearby on the River Alde.

A regular returning herring gull KVL has also been present lately - one from Orfordness - along with a long-staying 2nd winter herring gull YYV that still occasionally begs for food from adults!

Have also updated my colour-ringed page on my patch website - in signature below (still to add some more photos and add an avocet record).

Gi
Old Saturday 3rd March 2012, 06:52   #57
IanF

The first of Our Avocets returned on 29th February. Amongst them yesterday was a single colour ringed Avocet on Greenabella Marsh.

Left tibia - yellow over blue. Right tibia - lime over orange.

Ringed as pullus by Tees Ringing Group on Greenabella Marsh on 31st May 2010.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2846a.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	372232  
Old Sunday 4th March 2012, 09:32   #58
Steve Lister
World Birder, County Recorder and Garden Moth-er

Three Leics/Rutland gull ring reading sessions in the last three days at Albert Village, Rutland Water and Shawell have produced seven LBBs (six British ringed as far as I know, if you include Guernsey as Britain, and one untraced) five Black-headed Gulls (Denmark, two Poland, Italy, Cotswold WP) and three Common Gulls (two Germany and one Estonia).

Not a bad selection. So far this year three of us have had a total of 34 colour-ringed LBBs in the county plus 28 other gulls, and someone else passed me a nice record of a c-r Polish Caspian Gull at Rutland Water.

Steve
Old Monday 5th March 2012, 18:00   #59
IanF

The third colour ringed Med. Gull we've had this winter.

Quote:
Mediterranean Gull Larus melanocephalus
Ring Number: 5350316 Helgoland AHEL ringed June 14 2008 pullus
Ringing Place: Pionierinsel Lühe / Landkreis Stade / Niedersachsen / Germany / 53° 35' N 09° 36' E

Datum Beobachtungsort Genauer Beobachter Koordinaten Land Trupp
Finding Date Finding place County Finder Coordinates Country Flock

07 04 10 Rutland Water Nature Reserve Leicestershire Tim MacKrill 52 33 N -0 41 W UK AHLA as well
07 04 10 Rutland Water Nature Reserve Leicestershire John Wright UK
08 04 10 Rutland Water Nature Reserve Leicestershire Tim MacKrill UK AHLA as well
08 04 10 Rutland Water Nature Reserve Leicestershire John Wright UK
25 07 10 Blythburgh Suffolk Jon Gibbs 52 19 N 01 35 E UK 32
01 03 12 Seaton Carew, Hartlepool Durham David Harrison 54 40 N -1 11 W UK
Old Monday 5th March 2012, 18:02   #60
IanF

Many thanks for the colour-ring sighting of "RN GW" which was ringed as an adult on 29th August 2000 at Seal Sands.
Quote:
Last seen in December 2009 on Seaton Common, a site it has regularly frequented over high water in the past, where you recorded it in March 2008. In autumn, the bird has been recorded at low tide feeding on Bran Sands and Seal Sands. There has been no winter records of this bird away from Seaton Common to date.

Quote:
On 24 February 2012 - a colour ringed Curlew was present on Seaton Common, Seaton Carew.

Left tibia – red above black. Left tarsus – large white

Right tibia –dark green above white
Old Monday 12th March 2012, 16:03   #61
Colin
Axeman (Retired)

In the last few days, I have read 7 Black-headed Gull darvics and have got all of the results back All fine, but I had a hell of a job of getting the information from the new colour ringed birds website. I cannot get the search to work at all. I fill in the appropriate boxes and hit the 'apply' button but all I get back is the same boxes filled in but without the rest of the page, i.e. the start of the list of birds. The reset which I thought blanked out the boxes doesn't do anything but leaves what last used in the boxes. So, I did a manual search to find the schemes I wanted but unlike the old website (where you first selected the famliy, then the species, then the ring colour, then the number of digits and then all you had to do was look through any mutiple schemes), the species are in no particular order. For example, I was looking for Black-headed Gulls with a white darvic and 4 alphanumerics. I found one but it was the one commencing with 'N' but the next in the list was Herring Gull, so it was a trawl through a couple of pages looking for the next Black-headed Gull scheme with a white darvic. It took me an hour or so to find the schemes. I will not be able to report darvics any more at this rate, it is too time consuming. I was using I.E. and thought that might be the problem so tried Google Chrome browser and the situation was the same. I could not find a 'contact' button until today when I found someones name which I happened to notice was clickable. I will try and send an email. Overall, this is a very poor website compared to the old one. Anyone having such problems finding the right scheme or is it just my system/computer?
BF Supporter 2007
Old Monday 12th March 2012, 18:55   #62
pdwinter
Paul Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Overall, this is a very poor website compared to the old one. Anyone having such problems finding the right scheme or is it just my system/computer?
I couldn't agree more, Colin. I saved locally the old site - which was itself a pretty good example of how to not design a website - but 'lost' that in moving to a new computer. The new site is much less useful.

However it is something that Dirk does in his spare time and he's (probably) not a web designer.

I'm fortunate in that most birds(usually gulls) I see are from schemes that I know from the past - only if I get a new pattern do i have to struggle with the new site.

You could also ask on the yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cr-birding/

Paul
Old Monday 12th March 2012, 21:35   #63
Colin
Axeman (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwinter View Post
I couldn't agree more, Colin. I saved locally the old site - which was itself a pretty good example of how to not design a website - but 'lost' that in moving to a new computer. The new site is much less useful.

However it is something that Dirk does in his spare time and he's (probably) not a web designer.

I'm fortunate in that most birds(usually gulls) I see are from schemes that I know from the past - only if I get a new pattern do i have to struggle with the new site.

You could also ask on the yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cr-birding/

Paul
I have just got the search working. Although I tried the following earlier, it now seems to work. It seems that you have to put in the species name and then hit 'apply', then put in the colour of the darvic and then hit 'apply' and then put in the code and hit 'apply'. If you put in all the details in one go and hit 'apply' then it doesn't work but equally doesn't throw up an error message. I cannot get the 'reset' button to do anything but at least I have a working method to report rings now.
BF Supporter 2007
Old Monday 12th March 2012, 22:17   #64
IanF

We've had a couple more colour ringed Herring Gulls over the last week or so.

1. At 4.00pm on Friday 2nd March 2012 a 1st winter Herring Gull with a yellow darvic bearing 1P28 on left leg was seen on Seaton Common, Zinc Works Road, Seaton Carew, nr. Hartlepool .

Quote:
Ringed 29/10/2011 near Blackborough End, King's Lynn: 52°42'N 0°28'E (TF6714) (Norfolk)
2. Same time and location – a 2nd winter Herring Gull with a red darvic on it’s left leg bearing HR31.

Quote:
Ringed at Pitsea Landfill Site, Essex on 21st Nov 2009
Old Tuesday 13th March 2012, 23:43   #65
Rich Bonser

On Saturday, I helped with the gull ringing at Pitsea tip. The next day - less than 24 hours since it had been ringed - I saw one of these birds (AX3T) on my local patch at Rotherhithe in Central London (25 miles away straight line distance). More info here on my blog at http://rothandb.blogspot.com/2012/03...therhithe.html.

Cheers
Rich
http://rothandb.blogspot.com/
Old Wednesday 14th March 2012, 11:40   #66
davidearlgray
davidearlgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Three Leics/Rutland gull ring reading sessions in the last three days at Albert Village, Rutland Water and Shawell have produced seven LBBs (six British ringed as far as I know, if you include Guernsey as Britain, and one untraced) five Black-headed Gulls (Denmark, two Poland, Italy, Cotswold WP) and three Common Gulls (two Germany and one Estonia).

Not a bad selection. So far this year three of us have had a total of 34 colour-ringed LBBs in the county plus 28 other gulls, and someone else passed me a nice record of a c-r Polish Caspian Gull at Rutland Water.

Steve
Following on from Steve's comment I have been keeping count of the number of CR BH Gulls at my local patch of Watermead CP, Leicester over the last few months and the figures have been quite impressive!
We have seen at least 14 different birds with birds recorded from Denmark, Norway, Germany, Holland, Spain, Poland and the Cotswolds Water ringing group.
Over the last week, we have also tried to read the ringed birds as well in the car park of the country park, and so far the results have included a bird from Finland and another from Lithuania!

Cheers,
Dave
Old Sunday 18th March 2012, 11:43   #67
Steve Lister

Another good period of ring-reading with three of us amassing 15 LBBs, 2 GBBs, a Herring, 3 Commons and a Black-headed at Shawell and Albert Village over the last three days.

Plus a bird we tentatively identified as an adult Yellow-legged but with spindly washed out legs. This turned out to have been ringed as a hybrid, Yellow-legged x either Herring or LBB, at a nest in Holland last year.

Steve
Old Friday 23rd March 2012, 14:27   #68
Boy Wonder
Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves

Just got the results back from the Saltholme Glossy Ibis

Glossy Ibis report
Rung as a nestling on 25th May 2009 in the Parque Nacional de Donana, Spain
11/10/2009 seen outside Seville, Spain
1/12/2009 seen at the Parque Nacional de Donana, Spain
10/3/2011 seen outside Seville, Spain
7/12/2011 seen outside Seville, Spain
8/3/2012 first seen on Cowpen Marsh, Teesside
12/3/2012 ring read at RSPB Saltholme, Teesside
Old Saturday 24th March 2012, 14:48   #69
Brian Bullough
DIGIDOPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellMills View Post
A reply from the Polish bhgull group confirms t73 as one ringed in Denmark by kt pedersen.
Hi Just come across this reply could you email/pm me the contact details so I can submit the 4 sightings , two at Holywell pond and 2 at St Mary's Island.
Many thanks
Brian
Old Sunday 25th March 2012, 09:49   #70
Rich Bonser

Quote:
Hi Just come across this reply could you email/pm me the contact details so I can submit the 4 sightings , two at Holywell pond and 2 at St Mary's Island.
Many thanks
Brian
I've managed to read a dozen or so gulls over the last weekend or so - mainly North Thames Gull Group birds (ringed at either Pitsea or Rainham) but also a couple of Mike Marsh's Suffolk Herring Gulls. Also a lingering Norwegian 2cy Great Black-backed Gull yesterday, a Belgian Herring Gull and an adult Med Gull ringed near Antwerp, Belgium in 2006 (white ring with black letters - see http://medgull.free.fr/pages/codes.php for help with assigning your Med Gull rings!).

Also, while on the tip yesterday, the skilled cannon netters lucked out with presumably the first Kumlien's Gull to be ringed in Britain? More info at http://rothandb.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...to-handle.html

Cheers
Rich
http://rothandb.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Monday 26th March 2012, 11:54   #71
Steve Lister

Leicestershire's growing band of ring-readers, most of whom are BF members, have now passed the century mark of colour-ringed gulls for the year, 103 to be exact. And as nobody rings gulls anywhere near here all are quite long distance movements.

The 103 are made up of 62 LBBs, 18 Black-headeds, 10 Commons, 6 Herrings, 5 GBBs and single Caspian and Mediterranean.
Old Monday 26th March 2012, 13:04   #72
Boy Wonder
Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves

Avocets have returned again to the Tees Marshes this year with 47 being the highest count. As of 2009 this was a new colony and to get an idea of where these 'new' birds were coming from we started a colour ringing project in 2010.

We had siblings return and breed last year and this year we have had two different siblings return plus the first bird of the scheme to be colour rung.

24th March 2012

EG25238 - Red/Blue left, Red/Red right
EG25239 - Yellow/Blue left, Lime/Orange right
Siblings 2/2 ringed on greenabella 31st May 2010

EG25229 - Yellow/Blue left, Lime/Niger right.
Ringed as one of a brood of 3 on Saline Lagoon 17th May 2010
Old Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 15:14   #73
LowellMills
Is this your Sanderling?

Quote:
Many thanks
Brian
PMd
Old Tuesday 10th April 2012, 17:55   #74
IanF

Just receive a reply for a colour ringed Cormorant seen on a local reservoir on 30th March 2012.
Quote:
Colour-ringed Cormorant orange CP3.

This individual (metal ring G1402) was ringed as a chick at Abberton Reservoir, Essex (OS TL9617) on the 14th May 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7170aa.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	378240  
Old Tuesday 10th April 2012, 17:56   #75
IanF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Avocets have returned again to the Tees Marshes this year with 47 being the highest count. As of 2009 this was a new colony and to get an idea of where these 'new' birds were coming from we started a colour ringing project in 2010.

We had siblings return and breed last year and this year we have had two different siblings return plus the first bird of the scheme to be colour rung.

24th March 2012

EG25238 - Red/Blue left, Red/Red right
EG25239 - Yellow/Blue left, Lime/Orange right
Siblings 2/2 ringed on greenabella 31st May 2010

EG25229 - Yellow/Blue left, Lime/Niger right.
Ringed as one of a brood of 3 on Saline Lagoon 17th May 2010
There's now five colour ringed Avocets here. All ringed locally, four in 2010 and one in 2011.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: