Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 26th March 2012, 17:05   #1
dalat

Lowepro Field Station

Hi,
I am considering the belt pack Lowepro Field Station. I was looking for sth. like this since a while, as an alternative to a rucksack. I think especially in sweaty climates, a belt pack might be more comfy.
Now while the field station looks good, it's a bit over-fitted with gimmicks for my needs, the same bag without all these compartments would do it.

Has anyone experience with this bag. Or with a similar but cheaper alternative?

Thanks, Florian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FieldStation_UK_Book.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	375898  
Old Monday 26th March 2012, 22:19   #2
RJM
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

I have seen the field station in the store. It really is quite large/heavy for the gear it packs. To carry the same gear I just wear a vest I got from Big Pockets. But even this can get pretty warm on the back in direct sun.
Old Wednesday 28th March 2012, 19:28   #3
prattw
Desert Rat

You might try looking into lumbar packs. They come in a wide range of sizes and designs from a number of different mfgrs.
Will
Old Thursday 29th March 2012, 20:55   #4
BJJ0725

I have this bag. I like it and hate it, if thats possible. It will hold my binoculars, bottle of water and a field guide, plus other little things. It is very well made and has some great padding within it. The problem I have with it is that if I overload it, field guide, then you really need to cinch it down to keep it up, or else you will find that when it decides to slip off towards the ground it may just take your pants with it. Trust me I know.
I did talk to Lowepro's customer service and ask about a shoulder strap for some extra support, keeping most of the weight on the belt. They don't recommend you putting one on, but there is some attachment points that would work.
Old Thursday 29th March 2012, 21:08   #5
hinnark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ0725 View Post
The problem I have with it is that if I overload it, field guide, then you really need to cinch it down to keep it up, or else you will find that when it decides to slip off towards the ground it may just take your pants with it.
Man, why do we birdwatchers have to make sacrifices all the time for our hobby?! Well made doesn't necessarily mean sophisticated, that's for sure.

Steve
Old Saturday 31st March 2012, 09:53   #6
llendorin
Birdwatching Noob Extraordinaire!

Take a look at the Country Innovation Field Pouch -I suspect it's a little bit smaller, but it'll carry bins, field guide and a few other bits and pieces with no problems.

I have one, and I tend to use it when out looking for moths and butterflies. It easily carries my folding net, all the field guides I need and a dozen collecting pots.

My lepidoptera blog: http://llendorin.wordpress.com
Old Monday 9th April 2012, 09:30   #7
dalat

I bought it now before my trip to Cambodia and Vietnam, because I did not come across another similar sized and cheaper belt bag.

I quite like it.

I removed the padding for the binocular and the note pad and left the separation part in. Like this it has a lot of space for all things needed on half a day out (water, field guide, notebook, ipod, compact camera, binocular and some other small stuff). It is comfortable to carry (didnt't loose my pants with it, maybe depends on one's anatomy ). It was pefect on these very sweaty days in Cambodia last week, as it left the back free unlike with a backpack.

The main drawback is that it certainly looks silly waering this thing. But in Cambodian forest with a Black-headed Woodpecker in front of me, this did not bother me too much.

Florian

Last edited by dalat : Monday 9th April 2012 at 09:34.
Old Sunday 22nd April 2012, 18:55   #8
BJJ0725

"didnt't loose my pants with it, maybe depends on one's anatomy"
LOL, I must have left that part out.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: