Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sunday 8th April 2012, 04:43   #1
UgashikBob
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Outlet Lower Ugashik Lake Alaska
Posts: 23
Banded Tundra Swan SW Alaska

Happened to see this going through todays swan shots. Anyone know a contact point to report my sighting and find out where it was banded? I am located at the Outlet of Lower Ugashik Lake Alaska about 80 air miles south of Katmai Park
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120407-3N1G3316.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	377675  Click image for larger version

Name:	20120407-3N1G3316-2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	377676  
UgashikBob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 8th April 2012, 05:50   #2
Bird_Bill
Registered User
 
Bird_Bill's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by UgashikBob View Post
Happened to see this going through todays swan shots. Anyone know a contact point to report my sighting and find out where it was banded? I am located at the Outlet of Lower Ugashik Lake Alaska about 80 air miles south of Katmai Park
Hi Bob, Great eye & terrific shot. Here a couple links, first is to a page Trumpeter swan society maintains on the subject. Short bit down is a key for various tags, bands etc. There is a key for what you have there and some contact info for a gentleman up in your neck in the woods regarding Tundras and banding data.

Secondly is link for USGS banding lab report page.

Entering data at banding lab helps, but Im sure the gentleman in your home state would be delighted to hear from you also. Might want to contact him first so theres not a redundant entry of data taking place thats not nessecary.

http://www.trumpeterswansociety.org/...%2031%2011.pdf

http://www.reportband.gov/
Bird_Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2012
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 8th April 2012, 06:05   #3
UgashikBob
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Outlet Lower Ugashik Lake Alaska
Posts: 23
Band info

Bill:
Thanks for the quick response. Sent a note with the photos to the biologist in Anchorage and filled out and submitted the Federal form. There was also a leg band on the right leg but can't tell if its the usual federal band or not. We live in this remote area year round and these are our first visitors each spring. I estimae we have 150-200 in front of the house now because we are the only open water in the area. As small ponds open up they pair up and leave. The courtship rituals are really something to watch and they keep us awake at night but it is a welcome thing after the long winter.
Thanks again for your help.
UgashikBob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 8th April 2012, 06:19   #4
Bird_Bill
Registered User
 
Bird_Bill's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by UgashikBob View Post
Bill:
Thanks for the quick response. Sent a note with the photos to the biologist in Anchorage and filled out and submitted the Federal form. There was also a leg band on the right leg but can't tell if its the usual federal band or not. We live in this remote area year round and these are our first visitors each spring. I estimae we have 150-200 in front of the house now because we are the only open water in the area. As small ponds open up they pair up and leave. The courtship rituals are really something to watch and they keep us awake at night but it is a welcome thing after the long winter.
Thanks again for your help.
Delighted to be able to help. P### seems to have significant interest, be a great help to some dedicated people.

Beautiful series of pics. Backdrop is stunning. To be taking all in at the moment make a whole bunch of folks jealous, including one right here.

Cheers,
Bill
Bird_Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2012
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 9th April 2012, 19:01   #5
UgashikBob
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Outlet Lower Ugashik Lake Alaska
Posts: 23
Bill:
Just received a note back from the biologist that banded the swan as a two year old in 2007. The banding location had to be near us as it was listed as King Salmon AK and we are 80 air miles due south of King Salmon.
Attaching a few more photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120407-3N1G3299.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	378059  Click image for larger version

Name:	20120331-3N1G2771.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	378062  Click image for larger version

Name:	20120331-3N1G2807.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	378063  Click image for larger version

Name:	20120401-3N1G2941_edited-1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	378069  
UgashikBob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th April 2012, 19:41   #6
Bird_Bill
Registered User
 
Bird_Bill's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by UgashikBob View Post
Bill:
Just received a note back from the biologist that banded the swan as a two year old in 2007. The banding location had to be near us as it was listed as King Salmon AK and we are 80 air miles due south of King Salmon.
Attaching a few more photos
Great news Bob. Sure he was thrilled to have info. Pics are marvelous, all though that "white stuff" in background looks a bit foreign to us here. With the realization that bird is at least 7 years old is real good news. Has to be gratifying for gentleman to recieve info from you. Logistics involved in banding is staggering when imagined.

Cheers,
Bill
Bird_Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2012
Click here to Support BirdForum
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trumpeter or Tundra Swan? jmepler Bird Identification Q&A 3 Sunday 29th May 2011 18:26
Tundra Swan Conundrum Chris Benesh Bird Identification Q&A 7 Thursday 15th March 2007 19:36
Tundra Swan ody Your Birding Day 2 Wednesday 7th February 2007 10:11
Help needed with Tundra Swan Chuck M Say Hello 11 Friday 27th October 2006 20:38
Swan Help: Tundra or Trumpeter?? birdman000 Bird Identification Q&A 2 Monday 29th August 2005 17:54

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.14269996 seconds with 18 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:39.