Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 9th April 2012, 08:49   #1
black52bird

Some Bulgarian flowers

Dear All
I was out in the field last week in the Rusenski Lom Nature Reserve area in northern Bulgaria, close to the Danube. It is a wonderful system of limestone gorges through an agricultural plateau. Good birds (saw Long-legged Buzzard, Saker, Black Stork - early for other things yet), flowers and insects.
Apart from nice woodland species (Corydalis solida, Helleborus odorus, Anemone ranunculoides, Isopyrum thalictroides, Scilla bifolia), which are the usual things to find there at this time of year, but charmingly carpeting the woods, I also found two species I had not seen in flower in Bulgaria before: Crocus chrysanthus and Hyacinthella leucophaea.They are both charming bulbous plants, growing on the limestone rocks, the Crocus in more sheltered places, the Hyacinthella out in the open. I thought you might like to see photos of the pretty things.
Happy Easter botanising to you all.
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crocus chrysanthus 01.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	377936  Click image for larger version

Name:	Crocus chrysanthus 02.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	377937  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyacinthella leucophaea 01.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	377938  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyacinthella leucophaea 02.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	377939  

Last edited by black52bird : Monday 9th April 2012 at 08:51. Reason: Typo
Old Monday 9th April 2012, 16:47   #2
the young hunter

I went through Rusenski Lom on the way back from a Srebarna a few years ago but I don't think we were in the right place! Lovely time of year to wildlife watch in Bulgaria. We're based near Elena (a town about an hours drive south of Veliko Turnovo in the foothills of the Stara Planina) and the beech woodland flora is equally diverse and impressive. Here's a couple on top of the ones you've already mentioned that flower around this time near us (Gagea lutea, Anemone hepatica) and some of the later flowering woodland orchids, of which I've counted about 8 species within a 10 minute stroll of the house, (Platanthera bifolia, Ophrys cornuta and Limodorum abortivum).

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6009.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	378016  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6032.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	378017  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6731.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	378019  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6772.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	378020  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6959.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	378021  

Old Tuesday 10th April 2012, 04:45   #3
black52bird

Natural History in Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by the young hunter View Post
I went through Rusenski Lom on the way back from a Srebarna a few years ago but I don't think we were in the right place! Lovely time of year to wildlife watch in Bulgaria. We're based near Elena (a town about an hours drive south of Veliko Turnovo in the foothills of the Stara Planina) and the beech woodland flora is equally diverse and impressive. Here's a couple on top of the ones you've already mentioned that flower around this time near us (Gagea lutea, Anemone hepatica) and some of the later flowering woodland orchids, of which I've counted about 8 species within a 10 minute stroll of the house, (Platanthera bifolia, Ophrys cornuta and Limodorum abortivum).

Mike.
Hi Mike

I know Elena. I was in Veliko Trnovo for a week again in 2010, and went on a lovely day's circular drive there. Spent time near the lake. This was in early May, so more flowers out and more birds around. A lovely area. Lucky you living there. I have been going to Bulgaria on author tours up to 3 times a year since 2004, and have covered pretty much all the country at different times. It is such a great country, full of lovely landscapes, and few people. Great birds and flowers. Incidentally, do you have a local book on the flowers? I have only ever seen the monstrous 5-volume Flora, which a friend owns, but nothing local and more accessible. Great butterflies and moths, too!!
Incidentally, both times I have been to Rusenski Lom, I got in via the Ivanovo entrance, however there are other ways. You can get good and free maps and information from the Nature Reserve office in Ruse.
Best
David

Last edited by black52bird : Tuesday 10th April 2012 at 04:48. Reason: Adding info
Old Wednesday 11th April 2012, 12:10   #4
the young hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by black52bird View Post
Hi Mike

I know Elena. I was in Veliko Trnovo for a week again in 2010, and went on a lovely day's circular drive there. Spent time near the lake. This was in early May, so more flowers out and more birds around. A lovely area. Lucky you living there. I have been going to Bulgaria on author tours up to 3 times a year since 2004, and have covered pretty much all the country at different times. It is such a great country, full of lovely landscapes, and few people. Great birds and flowers. Incidentally, do you have a local book on the flowers? I have only ever seen the monstrous 5-volume Flora, which a friend owns, but nothing local and more accessible. Great butterflies and moths, too!!
Incidentally, both times I have been to Rusenski Lom, I got in via the Ivanovo entrance, however there are other ways. You can get good and free maps and information from the Nature Reserve office in Ruse.
Best
David
Hi David,

I should just say, I don't actually live out there but my parents bought a house in a village on the edge of the lake - it's next door to a big country hotel which I believe is quite famous in the area called 'Truchshevata' (or spelling to that effect!). I'm still a student at Aberystwyth university but we go out there at least once a year, either in Easter, May or the summer. The last summer was an absolute wash out. We had 23 hours of solid rain near the end of July! Even saw a dog otter in the flood water of a stream that is usually just a trickle draining into the lake. The locals had apparently never seen one.

But no, I've not come across any wildlife books of any sort, least flora. There are however a wealth of hunting magazines Still trying to work out if there are any bears anywhere near Elena, around Drenta and further up towards Chimerna ski resort but I've not seen any evidence yet.

If I'm ever back up near Rusenski Lom, I'll give it another go!

Mike.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: