Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 15th January 2012, 12:43   #1
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

I hate Windows7

Can anyone tell me if there is a simple way to search for a particular bird in the pictures that are on my computer?

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 15th January 2012, 12:48   #2
Simon Wates

I have no idea - sorry! My little experience with Windows 7 on a friends computer (she asks me to help her out - and my input is embarrassingly slow!). You see, I'm so used to XP and its layout that W7 just baffles me and I find it pretty irritating - everything I am used to doing is in a different place - which after being friends with XP logic is aghhhh!

I suppose I'm going to have to go through a whole new learning process to become adept on W7 eventually - but I'm putting it off as long as possible - time is short anyway!

Good luck!
Old Sunday 15th January 2012, 13:04   #3
Andrew Rowlands

Try reading this article KC.
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006
Old Sunday 15th January 2012, 13:34   #4
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

I was hoping you'd be around. That's a start Andy and I thank you very much. I still hate 7

Comes right back at ya
Old Sunday 15th January 2012, 13:48   #5
Andrew Rowlands

You'd like my W7 setup ^^

If you can't make any of the suggestions in that article work for you (it's part 2 and the first part is subscribers only), read up on the better 3rd party alternative search programs here. I loaded my old favorite, Agent Ransack, within an hour of my W7 being installed.
Old Sunday 15th January 2012, 14:58   #6
Jim M.
Choose Civility

I hate 7 too! Have been using it for a couple months, and spent good deal of time searching the Internet for ways to make it work like XP. The only thing I like about it that was not in XP (as far as I know) is the ability to have a desktop with rotating photos. Seems that as software becomes more mature new versions just make changes rather than improvements. I guess software companies have to continue generating revenue somehow.

Jim
BF Supporter 2013
Old Sunday 15th January 2012, 15:20   #7
cugsy

I have quite an aversion to W7 - never liked vista either. XP was as good as I needed it to be. Now I've got W7 I find when I type something into the search engine it clears before I hit the enter key because its so busy uploading rubbish I don't need. Its slower than XP for me. Plus more stuff but hey ho..
Old Sunday 15th January 2012, 15:41   #8
davercox
Dave Cox

Me, I quite liked Windows 3.1 (once I'd got used to it). Mind you, my all-time favourite OS was VAX/VMS - it did exactly what you asked it to do, no more, no less.
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Friday 3rd February 2012, 01:34   #9
Andrew Rowlands

For anyone struggling with the foibles of W7, there's an ebook here that may be useful - 56k warning - it's close to 24MB.

Yes KC, it does have some useful info on the W7 search system too.
Old Friday 3rd February 2012, 01:41   #10
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

I'm about nodding off but that looks interesting and I will check tomorrow if it can be downloaded directly to my kindle. That would be very cool Thanks Andy.

Comes right back at ya
Old Friday 3rd February 2012, 06:37   #11
Gwynn

I use the search box (top right hand corner) in the the picture library when looking for pictures.

Gwynn (who quite likes windows 7)
Old Friday 3rd February 2012, 19:18   #12
draycotebirding
Draycote recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFoggin View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a simple way to search for a particular bird in the pictures that are on my computer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
I use the search box (top right hand corner) in the the picture library when looking for pictures.

Gwynn (who quite likes windows 7)
Me too Gwynn, I'm sure we are missing some "in joke" somewhere

John
Old Wednesday 8th February 2012, 23:07   #13
tazzilla

I must be odd I really like windows 7. I custom built my PC and work with PCs daily. In fact I work for HP here in Boise Idaho and would like to offer my HP discount to my fellow birding friends, Call HP's 888-999-4747 Home and home office store and just ask for the friends and family discount. Just mention my name Doug Stump and you will get my EPP prices. I don't make a dime off this it's just my way of saying hello to everyone here and sharing a nice discount for everyone here.
Old Thursday 9th February 2012, 01:29   #14
Andrew Rowlands

More 'free' info regarding the W7 Search is available at the cost of signing up for a (sometimes useful) free weekly newsletter at Windows Secrets.

Quote:
This month, O’Reilly Media is providing all Windows Secrets subscribers an excerpt from the book: Chapter 3, Searching & Organizing Your Files. It covers how to use Windows Search, moving and copying files, and burning CDs and DVDs from the Windows 7 desktop.

If you’d like to download this free excerpt, simply visit your preferences page and save any changes; a download link will appear.
No need to fill in any CC info, the free subscription is enough to get this.
Old Saturday 3rd March 2012, 07:18   #15
Andrew Rowlands

Bumping this thread again due to the topic title, rather than the original query.

I've just noticed a new e-publication from someone I've a lot of time for, no connections except that we both give a lot of free time trying to help out fellow computer users.

Quote:
Configure the Windows 7 "To Work" Options started out as a set of notes we here at ProDigital Software have been accumulating for years to help us quickly set up our own Windows systems and get them to where they are lean, stable, and useful.

By the time we had accumulated nearly 100 pages of setup and tuning information it occurred to us that this amazing collection of tips, tricks, and tweaks could be valuable to anyone looking to get the most out of their Microsoft® Windows® 7 installation, so we have made it available to you!

You may not wish to do everything we suggest here, but there just may be some tweaks we've found that you just can't live without!

What makes this guide special is that we include not only "how to" information, but also "why you might want to" descriptions, as well as how to reverse the changes.

If you've ever wanted to get the best possible performance and stability out of a Windows 7 system, you NEED this guide!

Published as an inexpensive eBook in all the popular formats.
Price: $4.99 USD. 16770 words.

No, I've not read it (except for the short preview at the site) but, having read a large number of online postings by the author, this should be a very useful ebook for many W7 users or those considering the move to W7.
Old Saturday 3rd March 2012, 10:59   #16
JPAC
Just need one good photo

Have you tried the freeware 'Everything'? So long as you have named the file with the bird's name, it will find it, even on different connected drives.
http://www.voidtools.com/

Windows 7 has been excellent for the two years I've been using it, far better than OSX I used before.
Old Saturday 7th April 2012, 21:58   #17
pummkin
Fledgling

Have you tried the Picasa for Windows desktop client? Not the web albums but the actual photo management software that's free. You can download it at www.picasa.com.

Once you set it up to read your entire hard disk & all plugged in external disks, you can then classify or tag the photos in batches according to species, families & whatever else you want to name it with. Then by just typing 'bird' (or whatever tags) you will have all photos tagged as 'bird' appear in your software. I'm on a Mac & I don't think iPhoto comes close to this fast & brilliant Picasa app. I use it to sort the tons of photos I have across many external disks that I own & it doesn't matter if you are on Windows!
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 19:04   #18
christineredgate
Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of the Year Comp 2009/2010

i agree with KC,I cannot fathom W.7 for photos,I make a folder ,with a name,but Windows 7 sorts them out in the it wants to,XP leaves them in the folder as I named it.I am thinking of having XP downloaded onto the Windows 7 laptop.

Ride Free,Fly Free.
Christine
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 19:18   #19
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineredgate View Post
i agree with KC,I cannot fathom W.7 for photos,I make a folder ,with a name,but Windows 7 sorts them out in the it wants to,XP leaves them in the folder as I named it.I am thinking of having XP downloaded onto the Windows 7 laptop.

Can we do that? That would be great if we could.

Comes right back at ya
Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 11:25   #20
Gwynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineredgate View Post
It might be worth checking how you have the "arrange by" set (top right of the pictures library) as it sounds like you might not have it set to folder.

Gwynn
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 19:03   #21
Duke Leto
Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that simple.

not wishing to start a war but on an apple there's a search icon on the desktop that will carry out a full search by typing in a single word, its called spotlight, if you get to play with a mac try it its one of the best search's I've ever seen and its standard
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Old Tuesday 17th April 2012, 14:05   #22
Robert L Jarvis
Robert L Jarvis

I to actually like W7 and find no problems with it. It is on my second computer, have Xp on the other. For me W7 is far better.

Cannot understand the problem, where photos are stored is entirely upto the owner, so is it a question of organisation?

Magnificent Frigatebird, Bridled Guillemot and some garden bird videos now added.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: