Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 7th August 2011, 06:26   #26
woodhornbirder

Scope has been decent, but not amazing. I lack a truely great quality erecting prism, which holds it back. I picked up a vintage straight through prism from japan, but it also seems to have some barlow properties, or at least adds 80mm+ of focal length. It might be a 1.5x prism, hard to say exactly. Good for using on waders, but for seawatching i need to keep the fov wide as possible.....30/33x 70-80deg fov. imo works best for this.

SAving up for a WO prism atmo.

Have just bought a nikon* wide angle ep(probably 13/14mm focal length) and 1.25 adapter, so will be testing that out this week. SHould give around 33x 72deg. ie probably the optimum spot for a 66mm scope.

I bought a 6.7mm ep, but it s seems bit ave, tried it in poor light, and the results were not that great. Guess thats pushing the scopes limits. am saving up for this....(should work well with the nikon ep.)
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/mead...extenders.html

Was frustrated i could not get my binoviewers to reach infinite focus in thsi scope(

Some pics inc wheni get aorund to it.....christmas )

*http://www.nikon.com/products/sporto...s/mc/index.htm

number 4, i guesstimated the focal length.

Last edited by woodhornbirder : Sunday 7th August 2011 at 06:38.
Old Sunday 7th August 2011, 11:09   #27
TR3K
More Human than Human

Thanks for the info sound like a lot of work but very interesting.
Old Monday 8th August 2011, 22:37   #28
DRodrigues

woodhornbirder,
If your image erector is similar to the Vixen, it should have a 1.5x increase factor.
Regarding the use of the binoviewer you should be able to use it reducing the extenders you use with a single eyepiece - if you can post a photo of your combo it would be interesting. The minus of the use of the erector lens with the binoviewer is that the increase factor results in about 3x, depending on the model of binoviewer and connection system.
Good luck with the further tests - for low power birding the WO prisms work (choose preferably the 2" version), but for >60x don't...

http://www.pt-ducks.com
Old Wednesday 18th January 2012, 08:25   #29
woodhornbirder

oops i forgot that pic.

i did get that Wo erecting prism and its good)

got heavy cold atmo, whenit clears up will get out witht he scope and try get some pics.
Old Wednesday 15th February 2012, 16:01   #30
woodhornbirder

AM considering selling this scope. I may be going to africa in may for a while, and i want a small compact scope to take with me. Not sure how long i will be away.

SO if anyone is interested, let me know before i make formal ad.
Old Monday 5th March 2012, 16:34   #31
woodhornbirder

finally took some pics!

couple here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scope04.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	372684  
Old Monday 5th March 2012, 16:35   #32
woodhornbirder

otheres here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....02#post2381502
Old Monday 23rd April 2012, 20:36   #33
woodhornbirder

atmo i have kept this, as the replacement never arrived.....due to certain circumstances.

looking forward to may and passage waders!/skuas
Old Thursday 22nd August 2013, 22:24   #34
woodhornbirder

Am after a 2" erecting prism, anyone got one lying around? :)

have couple of 2" eps i wanna try out.

Not prepared to buy the WO 2" ER prism, as its somewhat pricey.....if i find 2" eps are addictive, then I could take a differnt view on such an item, atmo its a luxury item.
Old Friday 23rd August 2013, 15:26   #35
henry link

Be aware that the WO 2" 45 Schmidt prism (and all others I know of) may have 2" barrels, but the prism itself is small. As I recall the clear aperture is only around 31-32mm.
Old Saturday 24th August 2013, 23:46   #36
UTCbirder

Hi WoodHorn:

I would pass on the WO 2" erecting diagonal. I do have one of these, and could see a definite degradation of image at around 35X, compared to a regular "star diagonal". I had the AstroTech version of this scope, in a very natty "University of Tenn Orange" color (or so I was told). Compared this scope w/ my friends Swar 65HD (the AT using a star diagonal) and they were very, very close. I read (prob on Cloudy Nights, or maybe here) that the original issues of these small Ed 'fractors used a type of glass that produced a warm tone, and this was apparent in a head to head with the Swar, and that was the one obvious difference as I recall. There is probably a thread here with that writeup, at the time I was pretty impressed. I use this kit forquite awhile, eventually selling the scope when my spotter use evolved more toward windowpods. A dedicated birding spotter is easier to use from a vehicle. Mine had the standard SCT threads on the ocular end, so I wound up using a 2" star diagonal with the SCT visual back attached, which just screwed on the back end. Repositioning the diagonal and EP required loosening and retightening this arrangement. Had a somewhat wonky feeling that did, probably should have used a different config.

As mentioned, Baader produces a KickA amici prism for around $300, not including input/output couplings. Just never could bring myself to spring for that much scratch. I think it's a 90-degree angle. They also make a 45-degree amici prism for $100, but not sure if it is any better that what is currently available- it certainly looks the same.

I still use my WO Megrez 90 apo, and 2" baader click-lock star diagonal at our local hawk watch tower, and it is a killer combo! For walkaround duties, my Nikon 50ED cant be beat, and for windowpod use either a Regal CFED 65 and Baader 13mm Hyperion ocular, or a Nikon 82 ED that I picked up refurb from Nikon at the obscene price of $659. But I still have fond recollections of great sightings w/ my old 65 AT orange crusher, and would like to someday grab one for a good price off of Astromart, trick it out w/ the top-drawer Baader diagonal and a Delos 14mm.... yum!

regards,
UTC
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: