Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 20th April 2012, 21:35   #1
John M

Imac and iphoto

Hi,
Can anyone describe to me how to reduce the size of images using iphoto.
This is to reduce the image size so I can post on BF. I use a Canon 20D, 40d,7D and 1Ds Mk111.
It is an imac computer.
Thank you.
John.
Old Friday 20th April 2012, 22:30   #2
NoSpringChicken

Hi John. I have never tried this before but I have just played with an image, so you could give this a go.

Double click on the required image in iPhoto.
If you want to crop it first select Edit at the bottom left of the image and choose the Crop tool. Drag it across and adjust the sides as required and then press the Return key to crop the image.
Click on 'File' in the top bar and then 'Export'.
In the dialogue box pick 'File Export', for Kind select 'JPEG', for Size choose 'Custom', for Max choose 'dimension' and enter 800 px, for File Name select 'Use title'. Then click on Export.
You now have the chance to enter a title for the image and choose where to save it.
If you navigate to the saved image and click on it and go to File then Get Info, you should see the Dimensions which should be 800 pixels on the longest edge.

It is possible that the file size might still be a bit too big to upload to the Gallery. If so, start the Preview application and open the image. Then choose File and Save As. You can then adjust the quality slider until the file size at the bottom of the window is the size you require. Click Save and then Replace or give it a new name if you wish to keep the original file.

I hope this makes sense. There might be another quicker way to do it, so perhaps other people will have better suggestions.

Ron

Last edited by NoSpringChicken : Friday 20th April 2012 at 22:32.
BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 23rd April 2012, 17:57   #3
John M

Thank You

Thank you so much Ron for taking the time to explain in simple step by step instructions. I have managed to upload a few images on to BF for the first time in ages.
Thanks again,
Cheers,
John.
Old Monday 23rd April 2012, 19:58   #4
NoSpringChicken

Very nice images John. As I explained in my PM to you, I have found a quicker way to do this now. Just click on the image in iPhoto and drag and drop it onto the Preview icon in the Dock. It will open in Preview and you can then use Adjust Colour and Adjust Size in Tools and when you are happy use Save As and give it a new name and save it.

It is handy to note that this method also acts as a basic Raw converter. By dragging a Raw file onto the Preview icon in the Dock it will open in Preview and you can then proceed as above, finally saving it in a selection of formats.

Ron
BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012
Old Monday 23rd April 2012, 22:57   #5
redeyedvideo
It's like water off a duck's back!

You don't say which version of iPhoto you're using or if you're shooting RAW but it should be something like - click on photo (no need to open) - File - Export, you will see a dialogue box come up where you can re-size, re-name and save to Desktop.

You then just upload the image to your post or gallery following the instruction on BF. Hope that helps.

Edit- I see more comprehensive instructions have been given by NSC but I'll leave my post just in case the screenshot is helpful to anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhoto.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	380381  

Last edited by redeyedvideo : Monday 23rd April 2012 at 23:03.
BF Supporter 2007
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: