Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 24th April 2012, 01:55   #1
SpiffWilkie
World's Greatest Chicken Farmer

Mockingbird Night Behavior with Chicks

Today my wife discovered a nest with 3 baby mockingbirds in a bush in our front yard (I saw the parents eyeing me while I was mowing a few days ago). I set up one of my surveillance cameras in the bush and have been enjoying watching the birds all afternoon. The chick appear to only be a day or two old.
Now here's my question: Do the adult mockingbirds nest with the chicks during the night to keep them warm? Currently it is dark and the parents are not around/in the nest. The camera gives off a very, very faint red light at night and I want to make sure that this is not driving off the adults if they are needed to keep the young ones warm at night.
Old Tuesday 24th April 2012, 03:25   #2
fugl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffWilkie View Post
Today my wife discovered a nest with 3 baby mockingbirds in a bush in our front yard (I saw the parents eyeing me while I was mowing a few days ago). I set up one of my surveillance cameras in the bush and have been enjoying watching the birds all afternoon. The chick appear to only be a day or two old.
Now here's my question: Do the adult mockingbirds nest with the chicks during the night to keep them warm? Currently it is dark and the parents are not around/in the nest. The camera gives off a very, very faint red light at night and I want to make sure that this is not driving off the adults if they are needed to keep the young ones warm at night.
It depends on the age of the chicks. Until they are completely feathered, the chicks are unable to regulate their body temperature & the female broods them at night (& during inclement weather during the day). After thermo-regulation is achieved, she normally roosts separately.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Tuesday 24th April 2012 at 07:05.
BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 24th April 2012, 03:37   #3
SpiffWilkie
World's Greatest Chicken Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
It depends on the age of the chick. Until they are completely feathered, the chicks are unable to regulate their body temperature & the female broods them at night (& during inclement weather during the day). After thermo-regulation is achieved, she normally roost separately.
Thanks for the reply. I'm really not 100% sure of the age. My guess was based off raising chickens. Just to be safe, I cut off the camera for the night. Daytime viewing will have to suffice right now.

Thanks again.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: