Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 23:26   #1
RyanEustace
Ecology Student

Sigma 105mm EX DG OS HSM F2.8?

I have been trying to find some reviews on this lens, and they are abit scarce. Does anybody have first hand experience with it and care to share it, or even better example photos taken with it?

Ryan
Old Wednesday 18th April 2012, 20:52   #2
screaming piha

No experience of it, but...

http://www.lenstip.com/318.1-Lens_re...HSM_Macro.html
Old Thursday 19th April 2012, 10:32   #3
RyanEustace
Ecology Student

Yeah I've been looking around at reviews for it, but i was wondering if anyone owned one. I have tried having a look for any for sale but their all new and located in china. It was just a whim more than anything to see how it stacked up against the Canon 100mm IS L, however after seeing the additional price IS fetches on these lenses i have voted against it and i shall just put more time into using my tripod.

Ryan
Old Thursday 19th April 2012, 14:40   #4
Jaff
Registered Member

Well being an L the Canon will be a better build quality and I've always read that Canon's USM AF was a little bit superior to Sigma's HSM. One of the main reasons I chose the Canon macros over the Sigmas. In terms of IQ though all macro lenses are supposed to deliver fantastic sharpness and have virtually nothing between them. The bokeh is more varied between them but again the Canon IS is supposed to be a real winner in this regard too.
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 24th April 2012, 11:12   #5
kurakura

I believe that both canon and sigma make extraordinary macro lenses - I have been using a sigma 150mm for years and I am extreemly pleased, it got broken though couldent take a fall on a rock in the malaysian rain forest:(

Right now I am waiting too see the 180mm 2.8 OS will cost and will probably go for that if it is not too expensive.

I keep getting surpriced by people mentioning the autofocus as a selling mark on macro lenses. I hardly ever use AF on macro - i believe 90%+ of my pictures with the 150mm is done with manual focus
Old Wednesday 25th April 2012, 18:48   #6
Jaff
Registered Member

I use the AF quite a lot so for me it made absolute sense. MF is great when the subject isn't moving but when a butterfly or something else is constantly on the move roaming around a flower and the like I find the AF faster and more accurate giving me a better hit rate than I'd be able to manage. Each to their own really.
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Old Wednesday 25th April 2012, 19:29   #7
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaff View Post
I use the AF quite a lot so for me it made absolute sense. MF is great when the subject isn't moving but when a butterfly or something else is constantly on the move roaming around a flower and the like I find the AF faster and more accurate giving me a better hit rate than I'd be able to manage. Each to their own really.
Me as well Adam, Handheld and AF all the time for me, when ever I try MF by the time I get focus the target has flown
BF Supporter 2007
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: