Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 16:56   #1
bevsem
BevSem

Unhappy New to forum - injured blackbird advice?

Hi All
Apologies if this is in the wrong place but i have literally just joined 3 minutes ago.
About 20mins ago i found a male, fully grown blackbird in next door neighbours empty, muddy pond. It looks like he had got his feet stuck in the mud as their were feathers all over the place and his feet and face were so muddy. It was just standing their so managed to pick it up. He moves but his eyes are half closed. He has no blood injuries (so don't think a cat or other kind of bird had had a go at him -otherwise they wouldn't have left him would they?) - but seems to still have no energy. He's moves occasionally very little. I've tried him with water but he hasnt opened his beak once yet (even when i touch it). Doesnt flinch when i touch any part of him so dont think he has broken anything either. Anyway, i have him in a ratten box which lets air in, covered in a tea towel at the side of the fire at the moment. What else do i do? I have a dog so can't really keep him all night in the living room but worried he may just die outside. (Dont have a garage or outhouse either). Advice much appreciated????
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:11   #2
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments

Hi bevsem and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

We have guidelines for you here. Good luck and let us know the outcome please.

D

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:15   #3
kennethwfd

to be able to just pick up a wild bird would indicate something is very wrong. He may be completely exhausted, but there is the strong possibility that he is very ill, crashlanded and used the last of his energy in trying to get free. All you can do is to keep him warm and quiet - to be close to and handled by humans is very stressful for a wild animal - in the hope he is just exhausted and will recover overnight

the man who never made a mistake never made anything
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 20:08   #4
bevsem
BevSem

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethwfd View Post
to be able to just pick up a wild bird would indicate something is very wrong. He may be completely exhausted, but there is the strong possibility that he is very ill, crashlanded and used the last of his energy in trying to get free. All you can do is to keep him warm and quiet - to be close to and handled by humans is very stressful for a wild animal - in the hope he is just exhausted and will recover overnight
Thanks Ken. I left him in the box. he was warm (next to the fire) and we were quiet however he just died. I think he must've really exhausted himself trying to get free from the mud that he used up all his energy. Thanks for the prompt reply. Shame i couldnt do more. Would've hated to know he had suffered outside in the cold weather or been taken by a cat. Fell alittle better knowing he was inside.
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 17:05   #5
Romafree

I am new too....sorry re the bad news but you did all you could and it was a kind act.
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 21:18   #6
christineredgate
Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of the Year Comp 2009/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevsem View Post
Thanks Ken. I left him in the box. he was warm (next to the fire) and we were quiet however he just died. I think he must've really exhausted himself trying to get free from the mud that he used up all his energy. Thanks for the prompt reply. Shame i couldnt do more. Would've hated to know he had suffered outside in the cold weather or been taken by a cat. Fell alittle better knowing he was inside.
At least he died warm and secure,you did your best for him.

Ride Free,Fly Free.
Christine
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 22:01   #7
noakesy21

gutted for you matey and the bird
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: