Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 08:33   #1
Andy Hurley
Birding since 2010

Linnet & Redpoll? Germany

Hi,
saw these this morning, would like confirmation please

1 Linnet
2 Redpoll?

I saw them seconds apart in parkland and the 2nd one is confusing me a bit. I thought they would all be gone by now

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9329.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	383417  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9335.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	383418  
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 08:37   #2
Hotspur
James Spencer

Yup Linnet and looks like Lesser Redpoll which breeds in central Europe and Britain
Last Yorks: Masked Shrike (304)
BF Supporter 2010
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 08:40   #3
Andy Hurley
Birding since 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
Yup Linnet and looks like Lesser Redpoll which breeds in the alps
Thanks for that quick reply, I live in Paderborn with is about 7 hours drive north of the Alps so is this just a straggler?

Edit ok your correction makes sense thanks
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 09:07   #4
Hotspur
James Spencer

That was why I rewrote. I know the population is largely centred on the alps but I have no idea how far it penetrates into Germany. There is also the chance it could be a very brown Mealy on the way north I guess.
Last Yorks: Masked Shrike (304)
BF Supporter 2010
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 11:49   #5
Kingfisher21

I agree, linnet and lesser redpoll. Lesser redpolls do occasionally breed in Germany (a great book you might find useful is "Taschenlexikon der Voegel Deutschlands" http://www.zfmk.de/BZB/Band_57/BzB_57_1_Schidelko.pdf ).

Pet Portraits

Last edited by Kingfisher21 : Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 11:51.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 12:49   #6
Andy Hurley
Birding since 2010

Thanks for the link Sandra, it looks interesting. I would have no difficulty with German names as I am based in Germany and post on German forums so I need to be familiar with the names and because my wife and many of my friends are German I label all my folders bilingually.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 13:34   #7
lou salomon
the birdonist

lesser redpoll has spread over most of central/central-east germany in recent decades, paderborn probably being on the northern edge of breeding range.

cheers
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 13:51   #8
Kingfisher21

The reason why I suggested this book was that it gives much more info than other field guides and in great detail (e.g. appearance, where in Germany you might encounter the bird, call, diet, habitat, behaviour etc). I too am bilingual and discuss birds with German friends so this book was exactly what I was after when I entered a German bookshop last summer!

Pet Portraits

Last edited by Kingfisher21 : Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 14:06.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 14:15   #9
Andy Hurley
Birding since 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou salomon View Post
lesser redpoll has spread over most of central/central-east germany in recent decades, paderborn probably being on the northern edge of breeding range.

cheers
Thanks Lou, its funny that i've been birding here for 2 years and before seeing 2 today i never saw any.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 14:21   #10
Andy Hurley
Birding since 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher21 View Post
The reason why I suggested this book was that it gives much more info than other field guides and in great detail (e.g. appearance, where in Germany you might encounter the bird, call, diet, habitat, behaviour etc). I too am bilingual and discuss birds with German friends so this book was exactly what I was after when I entered a German bookshop last summer!
Sandra, another good book is a location guide to North German sites http://www.amazon.de/V%C3%B6gel-beob.../dp/3440107795 We are starting to go on weekend trips to the various locations in the book.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 16:37   #11
Jan-Paul Charteris
Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast

Not exactly Germany but does anyone here know which redpoll breeds in Denmark? I remember finding them increasingly often in summer in East Jylland when I was over visiting family, but that was before the redpolls were split, so I neglected to look at them in any detail

And for you Facebook birders, always good to get to know other birders https://www.facebook.com/jan.charteris?ref=tn_tnmn
Old Sunday 13th May 2012, 13:08   #12
Andy Hurley
Birding since 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Paul Charteris View Post
Not exactly Germany but does anyone here know which redpoll breeds in Denmark? I remember finding them increasingly often in summer in East Jylland when I was over visiting family, but that was before the redpolls were split, so I neglected to look at them in any detail
Finches (Fringillidae)
Lesser Redpoll (Carduelis cabaret) - HBW 15, p. 563

French: Sizerin cabaret German: Alpenbirkenzeisig Spanish: Pardillo Alpino

Taxonomy: Fringilla cabaret Statius Müller, 1776, Europe.
Previously placed in genus Acanthis. Was until recently considered conspecific with C. flammea, and evidence from mitochondrial DNA suggests that the two, together with C. hornemanni, are probably best regarded as closely related sister-species or forming a superspecies; despite wide genetic variation within their ranges, however, recent studies have found little support for lineage division between arctic-breeding and boreal-breeding redpolls, and comprehensive review of gene flow still required in order to determine species limits; pending conclusions of any review, may.. View all taxonomy...

Distribution: Breeds British Is, SW Norway, S Sweden, Denmark, and N & NE France E to S Belgium and Netherlands; also N & C Germany, Alps (from SE France E to Austria) and Carpathians (SE Czech Republic and S Poland, possibly also N Romania). Widespread in NC & S Europe in non-breeding season.Introduced in New Zealand. I think also Arctic breeds in DK
Old Tuesday 15th May 2012, 07:01   #13
solium

Breeds+: C&N Slovakia, C&S Czech republik ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hurley View Post
Finches (Fringillidae)
Lesser Redpoll (Carduelis cabaret) - HBW 15, p. 563

French: Sizerin cabaret German: Alpenbirkenzeisig Spanish: Pardillo Alpino

Taxonomy: Fringilla cabaret Statius Müller, 1776, Europe.
Previously placed in genus Acanthis. Was until recently considered conspecific with C. flammea, and evidence from mitochondrial DNA suggests that the two, together with C. hornemanni, are probably best regarded as closely related sister-species or forming a superspecies; despite wide genetic variation within their ranges, however, recent studies have found little support for lineage division between arctic-breeding and boreal-breeding redpolls, and comprehensive review of gene flow still required in order to determine species limits; pending conclusions of any review, may.. View all taxonomy...

Distribution: Breeds British Is, SW Norway, S Sweden, Denmark, and N & NE France E to S Belgium and Netherlands; also N & C Germany, Alps (from SE France E to Austria) and Carpathians (SE Czech Republic and S Poland, possibly also N Romania). Widespread in NC & S Europe in non-breeding season.Introduced in New Zealand. I think also Arctic breeds in DK
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: