Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 07:22   #1
absolut_beethoven

Allbinos review of the Leica Ultravid 8x42 HD

I blew it and originally posted this in the Zeiss forum. I obviously shouldn't read reviews late at night - it's asking too much of these 50+ year old brain cells of mine.

http://www.allbinos.com/index.php?te...tki&test_l=246
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 09:14   #2
Mark9473

I'm curious what it is that prevents this type of binocular from reaching a higher transmission. Any ideas?
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 11:47   #3
newfie ghost
Registered Member

Thanks for alerting us to this new review. The leica's like many nikons seem to have lower transmission values and are skewed toward the red side of the distribution. Personally I like the "rich" and biased color this produces in comparison to more neutral glass a la Zeiss fl. Distortion is often high, but they are shorter, probably tougher and certainly watertight. I can't speak to the 8 power but the 7 are extremely impressive to my eyes despite the minor flaws. I'd like to see a review of the 7 on allbinos.

Dust on the inside though? This is not acceptable for something that costs this much money. I've seen cheap and clean glass, but also had an alpha once and the dust inside was so bad I sent it back. I could see it while viewing the sky and it was distracting. I was so disappointed and to this day I am not happy with that brand. Don't dare charge us 2g and then fail to have high quality control issues. Sorry for the rant but writing this just makes me angry.

Anyway thanks for the post.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 12:34   #4
vop

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie ghost View Post
...more neutral glass a la Zeiss fl...
Zeiss are (lightly) blue-green biased, Swarovski are more neutral, according to Henry Links test. In that comparison Leica looks rather neutral too, with Nikon as the red team (not too bad either).

Last edited by vop : Wednesday 9th May 2012 at 19:02.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 17:03   #5
newfie ghost
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vop View Post
Zeiss are (lightly) blue-green biased, Swarovski are more neutral, according to Henry Links test. In that comparison Leica looks rather neutral too, with the Nikons as the red team (not too bad either).
I'm no color whizz, but I can see how one might view the fl as a little cool. It does show blues nicely. I also agree the el is neutral, but to my eyes the ultravid hd is warm. In any event I like the color in Leica and Nikon the best. Both have great contrast as well.

Thanks for the link I've never seen this post.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 19:59   #6
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie ghost View Post
I'm no color whizz, but I can see how one might view the fl as a little cool. It does show blues nicely. I also agree the el is neutral, but to my eyes the ultravid hd is warm. In any event I like the color in Leica and Nikon the best. Both have great contrast as well.

Thanks for the link I've never seen this post.
Arek posted a link to the new 8x42 reviews on your "The Word of God" thread.

b.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 20:19   #7
ronh

That is the most red heavy of any Leica transmission I have ever seen. Their 10x50 BR and HD plots are much flatter across the visible, with the HD coming out the advertised couple of percent higher.

http://www.allbinos.com/194-binocula..._10x50_HD.html

It is hard to believe that Leica intended the 8x42 HD to be that much different from the 10x50. And it is curious that the review of the 8x42 HD praises it for "good whiteness rendering". If the blue really fell off as much as the plot shows, I don't see how white could help but look a bit yellowed and dirty. Lots of earlier Leicas get dinged for being a tad off-white or yellow, proving Arek has good eyes, but I don't think even the Trinovid transmissions are that strongly skewed. So, I have made a rather weak case for sure, but a case for wondering about the measured transmission. Arek, are you out there?
Ron
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 00:48   #8
Mulga

Intresting review. I own a pair of the 8x40HD's and I mostly agree with the reviewer. The scores in regards to the CA, Distortion and Coma are pretty low.

Last edited by Mulga : Thursday 10th May 2012 at 02:42.
Old Wednesday 16th May 2012, 00:02   #9
Mulga

Gee I was only joking. I stoped the thread pretty quick lol.

I really do dissagree with the scores for CA, Distortion and Coma they should each be at least one or two points higher. I passed up the 10x and chose the 8x as thay were 'nicer' optically.

Mind you my suspicions suggest the quality is variable and not perfectly standadised as they should be for the price.
Old Wednesday 16th May 2012, 02:50   #10
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulga View Post
Gee I was only joking. I stoped the thread pretty quick lol.

I really do dissagree with the scores for CA, Distortion and Coma they should each be at least one or two points higher. I passed up the 10x and chose the 8x as thay were 'nicer' optically.

Mind you my suspicions suggest the quality is variable and not perfectly standadised as they should be for the price.
Got that right, mate. For that much moolah, QC should be aces. It's downright disappointing for a battler like me who's got to pinch his pennies to have the postie drop me a bodgy bin. It makes me feel rooted!

Plus, it's not like they're pushing them out like pups, they just do one joey at a time, should be a piece of piss to check for defects.

Okay, enough Yabber.

Ozzy

Last edited by brocknroller : Wednesday 16th May 2012 at 02:52.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: