Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 02:01   #26
follownoone

I have noticed also that my 8x42 roofs outperform my 7x50 porros for darker sky, better resolution of faint objects, and easier handling. I use both equally and enjoy the differences. If an owl lands in one of my trees the 7x50 is my first choice, along with following birds or planes. Whenever after observing something moving that makes me go wow, it is always with the 7x50 porro. Even during the day. Stationary objects it is a toss up and depends on distance etc.

The binocular I want to actually try more than any other is the Nikon Edg. I have seen the Swarovski at local dealers, but I have not found a local dealer for the Nikon. I want to try before I buy at that price.

Last edited by follownoone : Thursday 10th May 2012 at 02:10. Reason: forgot to add theme of thread purchase
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 02:53   #27
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Hello,

I actually bought and returned a Zeiss 10x40 Dialyt Classic, some years, ago. Cabela's had a special, $500 or $600 after Zeiss discontinued them. I just could not hold them steady. Oddly, I did buy a Zeiss 10x32 FL.

I have seen a scarlet tanager in Central Park but never an Eastern bluebird.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 03:51   #28
jaymoynihan
Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@37n84w View Post
... I just wish Nikon would have made a 15x60 version.
"If there is a heaven, and i am allowed entrance, I will ask for no more than an endless living world to walk through and explore. I will carry with me an inexhaustible supply of notebooks from which i can send back reports to the more sedentary spirits." E.O. Wilson
Old Saturday 2nd June 2012, 00:41   #29
marinemaster

Couple of Minox, I think on one occasion the Internet went out right before cliking submit, another time the address was wrong asked me to retype so I closed the brower. Of course when in high digit territory canceled the bid in the very last minute....at least a couple of times.....Swaro EL 8x32
Old Saturday 2nd June 2012, 02:57   #30
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Hello,

I actually bought and returned a Zeiss 10x40 Dialyt Classic, some years, ago. Cabela's had a special, $500 or $600 after Zeiss discontinued them. I just could not hold them steady. Oddly, I did buy a Zeiss 10x32 FL.

I have seen a scarlet tanager in Central Park but never an Eastern bluebird.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur
But you use the 10x32 FL on a monopod, yes?

Well, I finally got you beat, having seen both birds in rural Pa. The scarlet tanager in my backyard and Eastern bluebirds at a nearby park.

I recently went to a talk on "How to Attract Eastern Bluebirds" given by the PA Bluebird Society. Turns out, the reason I never see them in my backyard, despite the feast I put out for birds and varmints, is that they prefer hedgerows and open fields to woods.

Same deal with killdeer. I see killdeer a few blocks away in open spaces in between big box stores. I get a kick out of how the mamma bird feigns a wing injury to lure me away from her nest, which is usually right out in the open in gravel or rocks mixed with dirt, although the speckled eggs are well camouflaged, being a similar color to the surroundings.

Here's my backyard wildlife habitat (with Creamsicle and Fat Sambo). The 8x30 EII reigns supreme in my backyard.

Brock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sambo and Creamsicle in backyard (cropped) [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views:	77
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	388031  
Old Saturday 2nd June 2012, 04:40   #31
stereotruckdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post
But you use the 10x32 FL on a monopod, yes?

Well, I finally got you beat, having seen both birds in rural Pa. The scarlet tanager in my backyard and Eastern bluebirds at a nearby park.

I recently went to a talk on "How to Attract Eastern Bluebirds" given by the PA Bluebird Society. Turns out, the reason I never see them in my backyard, despite the feast I put out for birds and varmints, is that they prefer hedgerows and open fields to woods.

Same deal with killdeer. I see killdeer a few blocks away in open spaces in between big box stores. I get a kick out of how the mamma bird feigns a wing injury to lure me away from her nest, which is usually right out in the open in gravel or rocks mixed with dirt, although the speckled eggs are well camouflaged, being a similar color to the surroundings.

Here's my backyard wildlife habitat (with Creamsicle and Fat Sambo). The 8x30 EII reigns supreme in my backyard.

Brock
Those cats look like they have been feeding real well!!! Are you sure there are any birds left?!!!
Old Saturday 2nd June 2012, 17:03   #32
newfie ghost
Registered Member

Brock, do you get lots of blue jays and wood peckers? What about wood thrush?

I usually only see blue birds in fields as you said.

Struck the jackpot this morning. I hear some cries in the sky and there were two bald eagles going at it over my house. They did spun around and locked claws. It was a nice treat in the suburbs.
Old Saturday 2nd June 2012, 17:39   #33
John Russell
Registered Member

Brock,

As they say, life without a cat is possible, but meaningless.

Perhaps you should put Creamsicle and Fat Sambo on a diet and use the savings to buy that 15x60 Nobilem.
My two skinny Siamese recently approved the purchase of an SV, though I did neglect to ask the wife.

John
Old Saturday 2nd June 2012, 22:39   #34
Sancho
Adrift

Having just bought SV 8x32, it occurs to me that I have never had Cold Feet in binocular-buying, much to the consternation of my wife and my bank manager. It is an attribute I desperately need to cultivate.
As regards life without cats, it makes perfect sense to me. My house is inhabited not only by humans, but by dog, hamster, goldfish and Bearded Dragon Lizard. But at a cat, IŽll draw the line!
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 3rd June 2012, 11:56   #35
John Russell
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
But at a cat, IŽll draw the line!
If you want to preserve the family hierarchy, that makes some sense. Dogs have owners but cats have personnel.

Back to the OP, I nearly bought 15x60 bins years ago - Docter or Optolyth - but then decided on a scope. Now it's a format I would very much like to own, but having been spoiled by the eye relief, FOV and edge sharpness of the SV, there isn't anything on the market that really appeals.

John
Old Thursday 7th June 2012, 17:41   #36
ChadHahn

A couple of years ago LL Bean had a 30% off coupon and I ordered a Swarvoski 8.5x42 and then canceled it. I had just ordered a Swarvoski 8x30. I should have canceled the order on the 8x30s and kept the SVs.

Chad
Old Thursday 7th June 2012, 22:37   #37
Brian2

I've had 2.5k worth of scope in the shopping basket several times but it hasn't yet got to the checkout...won't be long tho :)
Old Friday 8th June 2012, 02:40   #38
Trogon4323

Almost purchased a Zen Ray 7x43 ED3 but experienced cold feet at the last minute- unfamiliar brand, how good is it really (well regarded on the forum), etc. Had a disappointing experience with the initial run of the Zeiss Victory I 10x40 (softer than I expected but my wife uses them happily to this day) as that was my first "alpha" so I'm a tad hesitant to purchase bins as an early adopter until any bugs are worked out.

Cheers
Clint
Former Member: Society for Rehabilitated Optics Junkies
Old Sunday 10th June 2012, 02:33   #39
etudiant

The only one I regret not buying was a Japanese 7x35 which had the objectives at the ends of right angle extensions, somewhat like a range finder.
Sadly I've never been able to perceive the 3D effect from Porros that some on this forum wax enthousiastic about. I now realize I missed my best chance to do so.
BF Supporter 2011 2012
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 10th June 2012, 03:19   #40
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie ghost View Post
Brock, do you get lots of blue jays and wood peckers? What about wood thrush?

I usually only see blue birds in fields as you said.

Struck the jackpot this morning. I hear some cries in the sky and there were two bald eagles going at it over my house. They did spun around and locked claws. It was a nice treat in the suburbs.
Wow! What an aerial display that must have been. I'd like to see that someday. I've seen a few eagles but never interacting. The closest I've gotten is about 40 ft. when one swooped down to pick up a fish left out by the keeper of the fishery close to wear a male/female pair have a nest. She was waiting a long time for it, and she thought I had left the fishery but I faked going to my car and doubled back behind the generator shed and got a good look at her (female, noticeably larger than the male) with my 10x42 SE.

Yes, lots of Blue Jays and woodpeckers in my backyard - downy, red-bellied, flickers, and occasionally "Rodan" (Pileated). I can always tell when Rodan has been to visit, because the entire suet cake gets devoured in one day.

Creamsicle and Sambo are on tethered harnesses. They can't attack a bird unless one buzzes right over the heads, which occasionally the Blue Jays do just to annoy the cats. But they are too slow to catch them.

My block and two others were rezoned "mixed suburban" (a way for the township to "spot zone" and get away with it). There's an empty lot in back that will eventually be turned into student housing, and my quiet bird sanctuary will be no more.

Instead of bird calls, I'll be listening to the Japandroids, Death Grips, and Punch Brothers at jacked up volume. Ugh.

b.
Old Sunday 10th June 2012, 16:03   #41
newfie ghost
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post
Wow! What an aerial display that must have been. I'd like to see that someday. I've seen a few eagles but never interacting. The closest I've gotten is about 40 ft. when one swooped down to pick up a fish left out by the keeper of the fishery close to wear a male/female pair have a nest. She was waiting a long time for it, and she thought I had left the fishery but I faked going to my car and doubled back behind the generator shed and got a good look at her (female, noticeably larger than the male) with my 10x42 SE.

Yes, lots of Blue Jays and woodpeckers in my backyard - downy, red-bellied, flickers, and occasionally "Rodan" (Pileated). I can always tell when Rodan has been to visit, because the entire suet cake gets devoured in one day.

Creamsicle and Sambo are on tethered harnesses. They can't attack a bird unless one buzzes right over the heads, which occasionally the Blue Jays do just to annoy the cats. But they are too slow to catch them.

My block and two others were rezoned "mixed suburban" (a way for the township to "spot zone" and get away with it). There's an empty lot in back that will eventually be turned into student housing, and my quiet bird sanctuary will be no more.

Instead of bird calls, I'll be listening to the Japandroids, Death Grips, and Punch Brothers at jacked up volume. Ugh.

b.
Wow sounds like you have a pet pileated wood pecker. They are rare here but very nice. That is awesome.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: