Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 17:18   #1
400mark

Small metallic green moth

I saw this small insect this morning on my car in Northampton, it certainly caught my attention with it's long two-toned antennae & metallic green wings.

It was quite smart looking and to be honest i wasn't sure if it was a moth but I managed to get a record shot on my phone & have done a bit of research. I think it Adela reaumurella but am happy to be corrected.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adela reaumurella.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	383644  
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 18:56   #2
honeym

Hi Mark

I think you are right, it is a female Adela reamurella, the males have even longer antennae. i saw some over the weekend here in London.

Martin
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 19:18   #3
400mark

Thanks for the confirmation Martin, now i know to look for them, i will keep an eye out for the males.
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:14   #4
Jan-Paul Charteris
Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast

Also known as Green Long-horn, I was just about, and still will start a thread with photos of males I was undecided were Green or Early Long-horns

And for you Facebook birders, always good to get to know other birders https://www.facebook.com/jan.charteris?ref=tn_tnmn
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: