Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 21:37   #1
stereotruckdriver

Swarovski 8x32 EL & Nikon 8x32 SE what a combo!

Thought's? I think they compliment each other nicely will post some pic's a little later. I'm having to much fun on my deck watching the birds and ducks!
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 21:46   #2
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

I guess you use the SEs for the birds and the ELs for the ducks in case they splash you with the water rolling off their back. :-)

b.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 22:35   #3
newfie ghost
Registered Member

Please do. I want to know how they compare. I hear it is an even fight.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 23:04   #4
Slider817

It's Funny, I have a 8x32 Swaro on order, and I was thinking about getting the 8x32 SE after that. I'm very interested in your thoughts on them.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 23:31   #5
stereotruckdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereotruckdriver View Post
Thought's? I think they compliment each other nicely will post some pic's a little later. I'm having to much fun on my deck watching the birds and ducks!
couple of pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bird11.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	383555  Click image for larger version

Name:	bird12.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	383557  
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 23:37   #6
stereotruckdriver

I will post a little more on them later. Both are fine glass and a joy to use. More personal when using one or the other and almost a mirror image of one another! One for fair weather the other for inclement weather? :-) I don't know, one thing i do know for sure they are both excellent 8x32's and top's in my book!!! Bryce...
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 23:53   #7
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

Quote:
I will post a little more on them later. Both are fine glass and a joy to use. More personal when using one or the other and almost a mirror image of one another! One for fair weather the other for inclement weather? :-) I don't know, one thing i do know for sure they are both excellent 8x32's and top's in my book!!! Bryce...
That's only because you haven't tried "the best," the 8x32 EDG. - Dennis

Beat him to the punch. :-)
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 00:02   #8
stereotruckdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post

Lol! Yep! That's alright he will probably have a 8x32 sv in a couple of wks once allbino's post's a review! :-)
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 00:48   #9
stereotruckdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider817 View Post
It's Funny, I have a 8x32 Swaro on order, and I was thinking about getting the 8x32 SE after that. I'm very interested in your thoughts on them.
Slider, having owned the se before as you can see by my signature and just recently aquiring the el though i had the slc8x30. I think it comes down to ergonomics in which to me the el wins and maybe eye placement. That said i have no problems with the se in that regard! Image wise i need a little more time but, to me they are mirror images! You can't go wrong with either and in my case why not have both? I think they compliment each other! Both are a joy to use and both give top notch bright contrasty views! Bryce...
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 01:07   #10
Paloma_Negra

..forgive the n00b question guys, but is there a reason why, when members post pictures they're the size of postage stamps?!

And yes, I'm talking about AFTER I "click" on them.
They don't get any larger. ..sometimes smaller!

..I've ALSO noticed they have a lockdown on adding images directly to a post.
No image tags, only attachments. ...hmmm.

You would think coming to the preeminent birding forum we could see all kinds of nice pictures! What gives???
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 01:22   #11
Paloma_Negra

Bryce,
I guess I should have just asked, "what was the original image size you uploaded" ???

..the image I see of your binoculars you posted above is "213px 159px".

Once again, that's AFTER I click to "enlarge" the thumbnails.
That's crazy small!
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 02:14   #12
stereotruckdriver

PN, for some reason you can only upload so big of pictures? Instead of all the hassle of cropping and editing, which i'm not that good at to begin with and i can be impatient i just down size from the original so they upload with out a hassle!
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 03:40   #13
Paloma_Negra

Bryce,
I've been doing some investigating and my thinking was apparently in the wrong direction. I should have done that before posting on your thread, my apologies to all!

But, since we've gone here, I feel that I could be of some help now.

There is an image size restriction, but it is plenty more than that tiny size you've been posting Bryce.
You can post pictures that are no more than 900 x 900 pixels and/or 200KB.

..not sure how/what you are using for resizing? Windows or Mac?
I'll take a shot and assume Windows OS.

Two options:
1. Look into the settings of whatever software you are using to
resize your images and change it to 900px or less.

..or

2. HERE is a super simple, very lightweight, FREE utility that can make all this very easy.

This app can do entire folders or single pictures at a time.
There is nothing to install because it is an "executable".exe
You can keep it on your desktop and or move it to wherever you keep your pictures.
The trick to setting the output size is to RE-NAME it to whatever size you want make your new images. e.g. PhotoResize900.exe That's it, just drag and drop and attach them to your posts. You can then delete them.

Once you get the hang of this it is very simple.
If you have ANY trouble with this I'd be glad to help!
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 03:51   #14
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

Quote:
PN, for some reason you can only upload so big of pictures? Instead of all the hassle of cropping and editing, which i'm not that good at to begin with and i can be impatient i just down size from the original so they upload with out a hassle!
You can solve that issue by downloading VSO Image Resizer for free. Then you can also make a new avatar with your 8x32 EL. :-)

Just download a pic or take your own, then hit the VSO Resizer icon (it will ask if you want to add it to your task bar) and then chose the folder where you have the photo and then chose the height and width size or default to desktop size. It will make a smaller copy for you and then you can upload a higher resolution copy to BF so people don't have to use a magnifying glass. :-)

Btw, to give credit where credit is due, mooreorless turned me on to VSO. Works like a charm.

http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-s...image-resizer/

Brock
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 04:02   #15
stereotruckdriver

Thanks Brock and Steve i just looked at it i can use it on my laptop. I'm so used to this android tablet i hardly use my laptop let alone my desktop unit, haven't turned it on in months! Afraid to then i will have to do all the updates!
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 04:08   #16
stereotruckdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma_Negra View Post
Bryce,
I've been doing some investigating and my thinking was apparently in the wrong direction. I should have done that before posting on your thread, my apologies to all!

But, since we've gone here, I feel that I could be of some help now.

There is an image size restriction, but it is plenty more than that tiny size you've been posting Bryce.
You can post pictures that are no more than 900 x 900 pixels and/or 200KB.

..not sure how/what you are using for resizing? Windows or Mac?
I'll take a shot and assume Windows OS.

Two options:
1. Look into the settings of whatever software you are using to
resize your images and change it to 900px or less.

..or

2. HERE is a super simple, very lightweight, FREE utility that can make all this very easy.

This app can do entire folders or single pictures at a time.
There is nothing to install because it is an "executable".exe
You can keep it on your desktop and or move it to wherever you keep your pictures.
The trick to setting the output size is to RE-NAME it to whatever size you want make your new images. e.g. PhotoResize900.exe That's it, just drag and drop and attach them to your posts. You can then delete them.

Once you get the hang of this it is very simple.
If you have ANY trouble with this I'd be glad to help!
Thanks for the tip! : )
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 04:24   #17
Paloma_Negra

De nada!

Re-sizing images should be easy, not a chore.
Brock made another good suggestion w/ VSO but it has much more to it. You may like/want that? It DOES have a GUI so that may be more comfortable/friendly to you? I'm unsure of you skill set but assumed the worst, thus my suggestion. Hahahaa! Check them both out and pick what you like best.

..btw, it's Joe.
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 11:06   #18
newfie ghost
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post

Edg is great no doubt, but the El is very different holistically. Hard to say which is better, but they are different for sure. El is sharper in the center, clean pan. Edg better color, fantastic edge sharpness. Brock I do see an odd thing happen when I pan the edg.

Thinking about a trip to hawk mountain this weekend if you want to see for your self. Ceaser? Frank? Kammer? Mooreless? Others?

Last edited by newfie ghost : Thursday 10th May 2012 at 11:25.
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 13:10   #19
FrankD

PM received and sent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 15:59   #20
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

Deep Thoughts by John Handy

I compared the 8x32 SE with the 8x32 EL for about 10 minutes on a bright sunny day.

ergowise, i couldn't be more pleased with a roof. the el fit my hands perfectly. so does my 8x se with extenders.

the el's focuser was smooth! yes, it's true, and it turned with the same resistance in both directions, which makes me wonder, if they can do it with the 32mm EL, or at least this sample, why can't they get it right consistently.

the only explanation i've read about the 'achilles heel focuser' is that the resistance is different because of the difference in pressure of pushing the air in front of the focusing lens as opposed to sucking it out when the lenses move away from the objectives.

however, if this were true, all swaro focusers would be harder to turn in one direction than the other, but this was not my experience with this EL sample (though it was with another and an SLC). so if the air pressure explanation was valid, it would be valid for all samples, not just some (unless this one had a leak!).

so the 'achilles heel focuser' remains a mystery. anyway, if i could find an el like this one, i'd be happy (well, after taking my prozac).

not crazy about pull out diopters, but as they go, this one was fairly easy to use, a lot easier than the edg. with the edge, i have to find the flat diopter ring, which i can't see unless i tilt the bins up, and it's not easy to turn - not that there's a lot of resistance, but because the ring is so smooth, with only shallow indents to help you "dig in". couldn't find it or turn it with gloves on. of course, if your eyes are good and you can just set once and fagetaboutit, then it wouldn't be an issue.

with the el, you just pop out the focuser knob and it automatically engages the diopter, and to turn the diopter you turn the focuser knob not a separate diopter ring like the edg.

better system, imo,, but having something take on a dual function must put more wear and tear on it, and i'm surprised that i have not read reports of focuser wheels breaking or coming loose or diopters slipping like on the edg.

i kept going back and forth btwn the se and el. definitely a difference in the overall picture in terms of "tone". the se is 'warmer' whereas the el's view reminded me of the 8x30 SLCneu in being more neutral although there was a slight golden tone, as if swaro had still retained a bit of that yellow bias from yesteryear but much more subtly.

what impressed me was the depth perception through the el, which was much better than the 2D-ish 8x30 SLC. more porro-like, which was surprisingly for a midized roof. first time i've seen that in this roof configuration. typically, 8x30/32 roofs have shallow depth perception.

the eyecups were much more comfortable for my face than the se's.

the se appeared to have the edge in apparent resolution. the el seemed sharper than the SLC, though this was from my memory of comparing the slc to the same sample se. i didn't have it there with me.

so resolution goes to the se. no surprise there, can any midsize roof top it in that regard? 8x32 SV EL?

but they were sharp enough to satisfy.

didn't see ca, but there were no high contrast areas to look at, all was blue - sky and water, or green, mountain side and nearby woods. but since there have been reports of CA toward the edges, i'm sure i would see it.

my conclusion is that i agree with bryce that these two bins are well matched, with slight differences in resolution and more noticeable difference in color balance.

either one would satisfy most birder's needs, but the two combined would provide great views for any season (if you are not too bothered by CA in the winter).

brock
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 16:55   #21
stereotruckdriver

Thanks Brock, you saved my finger from getting a workout! :-) In all seriousness i agree with you except the color tone on the el. I have spent a better part of 3hrs this morning on the deck after work! Will have to put them away until i get back home from work again early this evening. Apparent sharpness does favor the se? But, just when you think the el is at it's sharpest i can just touch the focus and whoa? Maybe the el is as sharp? Tough call! Color is totally neutral with no byass on my el, it's a late 2010 serial #. Contrast on both are superb! Ergo's favor the el but, i'am used to the se's once again it's a very comfortable bino for a small rubust porro! Much more so than my 8x30 Pentax. Thats why i passed on the swaro habitch 8x30, i called swaro and they gave me the dimensions, same as my pentax! Not going to spend that kind of money on something that wouln't work ergonomically for me! The se's will be used for good weather in inclement conditions i will use the swaro! And probably switch off and on between them and never feel under gunned. Thats why i say they compliment each other. : ) Although different porro, roof there views are very similiar and i don't really favor one or the other!
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 22:20   #22
newfie ghost
Registered Member

Very interesting. I find a similar thing with my el, it can get deadly sharp in the center if you work the focus very slow. Impressive since it doesn't have Ed glass. Glad you like it. I'd like to have an se if the right price comes around. Should have bought one last year when they were cheaper. The waterproof and toughness also hold me back.

Quote:
Thanks Brock, you saved my finger from getting a workout! :-) In all seriousness i agree with you except the color tone on the el. I have spent a better part of 3hrs this morning on the deck after work! Will have to put them away until i get back home from work again early this evening. Apparent sharpness does favor the se? But, just when you think the el is at it's sharpest i can just touch the focus and whoa? Maybe the el is as sharp? Tough call! Color is totally neutral with no byass on my el, it's a late 2010 serial #. Contrast on both are superb! Ergo's favor the el but, i'am used to the se's once again it's a very comfortable bino for a small rubust porro! Much more so than my 8x30 Pentax. Thats why i passed on the swaro habitch 8x30, i called swaro and they gave me the dimensions, same as my pentax! Not going to spend that kind of money on something that wouln't work ergonomically for me! The se's will be used for good weather in inclement conditions i will use the swaro! And probably switch off and on between them and never feel under gunned. Thats why i say they compliment each other. : ) Although different porro, roof there views are very similiar and i don't really favor one or the other!
Old Friday 11th May 2012, 01:50   #23
stereotruckdriver

I paid considerably less than the going rate! :-) Actually less than what i paid for my original model back in 09! A nice gentleman from the forums had two the one i got was bought new inspected and put away for safe keeping! I used a loupe and couldn't find a finger print, essentially just like new! : ) I'am very pleased to say the least, these two bino's will never be sold! Well at least the se! No the sv can't be that good?!!! :-)
Old Friday 11th May 2012, 02:05   #24
jaymoynihan
Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher

Sounds like ya got a mighty nice pair ah bins there
"If there is a heaven, and i am allowed entrance, I will ask for no more than an endless living world to walk through and explore. I will carry with me an inexhaustible supply of notebooks from which i can send back reports to the more sedentary spirits." E.O. Wilson
Old Friday 11th May 2012, 02:22   #25
stereotruckdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoynihan View Post
Sounds like ya got a mighty nice pair ah bins there
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: