Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 13th May 2012, 22:23   #1
Swindon Addick

Little brown thing, Wiltshire UK

I heard something singing which sounded vaguely thrush-like, but wasn't a song thrush or a blackbird. I scanned the tree, thinking I was probably looking for a mistle thrush (whose call I'm not familiar with), and this bird was all I could find. Doesn't look like a mistle thrush to me, so I'm baffled. But of course it might not have been this bird singing...

I realise the photos are a bit ropey, even by the standards of the ID forum, but is anyone willing to hazard a guess?

Location was Ravensroost wood, an ancient woodland managed by the wildlife trust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SG1L3045a.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	384483  Click image for larger version

Name:	SG1L3047a.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	384484  Click image for larger version

Name:	SG1L3048a.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	384485  Click image for larger version

Name:	SG1L3049a.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	384486  
BF Supporter 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 13th May 2012, 22:44   #2
93Birder

Willow Warbler ?
Old Sunday 13th May 2012, 23:14   #3
jacana
Will Jones

Garden Warbler
Latest World 2014: House Wren (351)
Old Monday 14th May 2012, 10:28   #4
Jon Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacana View Post
Garden Warbler
I agree with Will. It's a poor man's Blackcap song. Try Googling it and see if it is?
Old Monday 14th May 2012, 21:43   #5
Swindon Addick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Turner View Post
I agree with Will. It's a poor man's Blackcap song. Try Googling it and see if it is?
I've looked up the song and yes, that sounds like it. As it happens, my first thought was "is that a blackcap?", before I decided it didn't sound right for that.

And playing with the colours on the very-dark photo produces a brown bird with no visible distinguishing features, which is how I've always heard garden warbler described. Then again, a sufficiently bad photo of anything will show no distinguishing features...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SG1L3047b.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	384669  
Old Monday 14th May 2012, 21:54   #6
Bob Philpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swindon Addick View Post
I heard something singing which sounded vaguely thrush-like, but wasn't a song thrush or a blackbird.
If you are not certain the bird in the photo and the bird singing were one and the same then have you thought about nightingale. That would depend on the habitat you heard it in.

Visiting the Cotswold Water Park area, then have a look at:
http://cotswoldwaterpark.wordpress.com/
Old Wednesday 16th May 2012, 07:24   #7
Swindon Addick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Philpott View Post
If you are not certain the bird in the photo and the bird singing were one and the same then have you thought about nightingale. That would depend on the habitat you heard it in.
I did think about nightingale at the time, but was dissuaded by the assumption that if there were any about I'd probably have heard one singing. Subsequently I've looked at the lists that the Wiltshire Wildlife Trust gang keep for the site (which perhaps I should have done earlier!), and it seems they don't get nightingales but they do get garden warblers.

My psychic powers tell me that I may be re-visiting the wood in the near future, now that I know what a garden warbler sounds like!
Old Wednesday 16th May 2012, 08:39   #8
Tony Morris
Tony Morris

Having looked at Photo no4 in photoshop and lightened it enough to see the bird I can see that it certainly ISN'T a Garden Warbler, the bill shape is totally wrong. It is still not a good image but looks as if it has a suprercilium and a phyllosc type bill. I guess it is a Willow Warbler. Is it the same bird in photo 2 and then repeated in your reply? It looks different to me,
Tony
Old Thursday 17th May 2012, 07:24   #9
Swindon Addick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Morris View Post
Having looked at Photo no4 in photoshop and lightened it enough to see the bird I can see that it certainly ISN'T a Garden Warbler, the bill shape is totally wrong. It is still not a good image but looks as if it has a suprercilium and a phyllosc type bill. I guess it is a Willow Warbler. Is it the same bird in photo 2 and then repeated in your reply? It looks different to me,
Tony
The four photos were taken over the space of a couple of minutes and are in chronological order. I didn't notice there being more than one bird, but it was moving around a lot and disappearing behind branches so I couldn't rule it out.

If there were willow warblers around, they weren't singing, but I did hear chiffchaffs earlier in the evening so I guess a chiffchaff that wasn't singing at that precise moment would be an option. Or indeed a willow warbler that didn't sing at all.

I thought it was probably too much to hope for that I'd get a positive ID out of these images, but the discussion has been very educational and I now know what a garden warbler's song sounds like - thanks everyone.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: