Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 5th June 2012, 09:52   #176
rogpow

Thanks Guys,

I was hoping for photos of var. clorantha that regularly occur at the site, but it looks like they're still in bud.

There's pics of some of the other variants, Mike, over on WAB in the "Flower of the Day" thread.

Cheers,
Rog
Old Tuesday 5th June 2012, 15:38   #177
fgrsimon

Amazing sight of what must be at least 200 Greater Butterfly Orchids at a site near Stroud this weekend - on a very good little guided Orchid Walk, that my Mum spotted in the local rag.

Also large numbers of White Helleborines, several Bird's Nests, and a lot of Common Spotted and Fragrants just coming into flower and thousands of Twayblades all at the same location.

Also some Adder's Tongue Ferns
Old Tuesday 5th June 2012, 16:37   #178
Lorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmielcarek
In deepest Zummerzet the Fly x Bees are coming into flower - counted 24 today which is a new record - and there were a couple of extra probables still in bud.
Quite a variable bunch, including this rather narrow bodied specimen.
Rich M
Hi there, over 30 FlyBee when we visited last week, also a few Fly & Bee. Oddly I have not been able to find any Bee yet in Dorset. Further up the 303 we went to see the Burnt tip, I did get my car stuck on the track so beware anyone who drives up there. We did see this var ochroleuca there thanks to Alan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnt-tip_opt.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	388856  Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnt-ochroleuca_opt.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	388857  

More Orchids
Old Tuesday 5th June 2012, 16:56   #179
Lorne

Went down to the river Avon north of Christchurch, yesterday to check the Marsh orchids. Early marsh already going over & Southern just coming out, lots of hybrids & even a poss Leopard, except the markings should become solid & not broken.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Early-marsh_opt.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	388867  Click image for larger version

Name:	Early-X-Southern-hybrid_opt.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	388868  Click image for larger version

Name:	Early-X-Southern2-hybrid_op.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	388869  Click image for larger version

Name:	poss-leopard_opt.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	388870  

More Orchids
Old Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:12   #180
the young hunter

Fly x Bee Hybrids

Some of my photos from Saturday despite awful conditions (persistent wind, low light and rain!) Lots of Bee orchids coming out there now and a few Fly still about - easy to see how they hybridised here. Also plenty of Pyramidal orchids and Common Broomrape.

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4185.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	388876  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4192.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	388877  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4209.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	388878  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4272.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	388879  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4369.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	388880  

Old Tuesday 5th June 2012, 20:25   #181
Ghostly Vision

1. Richard's site for Fly orchids, inc orangey-edge lip ones: Brilliant, must be over 200 flowering Fly orchids there. No plants I would place firmly in flavomarginata though. A few White helleborines, some big ones, and Common spotted orchids coming into flower.
2. Nearby, at a private woodland site for flavomarginata Fly orchid, not a single plant in flower. There have been over 200 in this small patch of woodland as recently as 2001, and also the subbombifera type too in the past. No white hellebroines either.
3. NW of Oxford, at a site where there were well over 120 Bee Orchids two years ago - including the vars trollii, belgarum and flavescens. Pouring with rain and had to rescue a young Magpie from a dog's mouth on behalf of a local lady! Not a single Bee orchid found. The reason became quickly apparent - every single plant had been dug up. This is the curse of a highly attractive, cosmopolitan plant in a public area that has been locally publicised in order to raise public interest. Luckily, the amount of dug up patches was less than the number of plants from 2 years ago. Perhaps many have not flowered and might come up in a better year.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dug-up-bee-orchid-oxon.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	388900  
Old Tuesday 5th June 2012, 20:49   #182
Ghostly Vision

Some pics from today. The first Fly orchid looks like an ant's head poking out of a fancy dress costume!

The second shows that the plants with yellow edged lips start out as having a pinker edge, which yellow with age.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	white-hell-n-hants-5jun2012.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	388904  Click image for larger version

Name:	fly-orchid-n-hants-5jun2012.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	388905  Click image for larger version

Name:	fly-orchid-2-n-hants-jun201.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	388906  
Old Wednesday 6th June 2012, 12:56   #183
Matthebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJS View Post
I went over to fairly local fen on Saturday to see columbines really but was please to see the new sub species of Southern marsh flowering beautifully in the fen. This used to be pugsleys but recent research has shown that the east anglian and many southern examples are actually a sub species of Southern Marsh orchids. The fen holds a very nice collection of these plants. There were a couple of early marsh orchids growing there too.

There was also a chap from the wildlife trust who was doing a bit of research on that population and it was he who confirmed the plants identity to me.
I'd be interested in reading about these. Is it published anywhere?
Thanks
Matthew
Old Wednesday 6th June 2012, 15:43   #184
childhood memories

Heath Spotted

beautiful display of heaths in the sunshine this morning - Leicestershire
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heath sm.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	388991  
Old Wednesday 6th June 2012, 21:11   #185
IJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthebirder View Post
I'd be interested in reading about these. Is it published anywhere?
Thanks
Matthew
hi
I was told last Sunday that it had just come out. I will see if I can dig up a reference for you. I want to read it too! I think its by Bateman...

Ian
Old Wednesday 6th June 2012, 21:16   #186
IJS

Been up to Cumbria today to see the coral root orchids (stayed sunny and dry!). Managed to find 7 plants still in flower. Also saw northern marsh, early marsh and common spotted on the same site. I also came across what I believe to be a hybrid which had very leopard-like spots on its leaves. I think its a northern marsh common spotted cross. Quite a plant. One other plant had extremely dark leaves with only a small percentage actually green!
Old Wednesday 6th June 2012, 21:59   #187
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJS View Post
hi
I was told last Sunday that it had just come out. I will see if I can dig up a reference for you. I want to read it too! I think its by Bateman...

Ian
It's in the latest edition of the New Journal of Botany (volume 2 number 1). If you are a member of BSBI you should have received your copy by now. If not ISSN is 2042-3489, published by Maney Publishing.

Article is authored by Bateman and Denholm.

Rich M
Old Thursday 7th June 2012, 11:07   #188
davidearlgray
davidearlgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by childhood memories View Post
beautiful display of heaths in the sunshine this morning - Leicestershire
Hi childhood, could you send me details via a PM of where you saw the Heath Spots in Leicestershire?
I just want to make sure it's not a new site for them!
Cheers,
Dave.
Old Thursday 7th June 2012, 11:12   #189
davidearlgray
davidearlgray

Hi all, checked out a few sites a couple of days ago in Vc 55 (Leicestershire and Rutland) and found good numbers of Early Marsh Orchid (30+), Southern Marsh Orchids (50+), Heath Spotted Orchid (50+), Frog Orchid (2) and Common Twayblade (2).
Cheers,
Dave.
Old Thursday 7th June 2012, 16:39   #190
the young hunter

Lake Vyrnwy Lesser Twayblades

200+ flowering Lesser Twayblades on the moorland above Lake Vyrnwy yesterday. Quite large plants and clearly quite a healthy population. Found 2 plants with an extra leaf - one is more of a leafy scale half way up the stem.

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4404.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	389162  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4408.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	389163  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4446.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	389164  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4525.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	389165  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4379.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	389168  

Last edited by the young hunter : Thursday 7th June 2012 at 19:10.
Old Thursday 7th June 2012, 22:11   #191
IJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmielcarek View Post
It's in the latest edition of the New Journal of Botany (volume 2 number 1). If you are a member of BSBI you should have received your copy by now. If not ISSN is 2042-3489, published by Maney Publishing.

Article is authored by Bateman and Denholm.

Rich M
Hi Rich
Thanks for the ref. Will take a look in our library for it...

Ian
Old Friday 8th June 2012, 00:14   #192
Mickar

bee orchids in or near Oxfordshire

For the last several years I have tried to find Bee Orchids in this area and have been to various sites where they are said to occur. Today I have seen Common Spotted, Pyramidal, Common Twayblade, Greater Butterfly, Monkey, Fly and Fragrant Orchids(?) and White Helleborine at various NRs not too far away... but not a sniff of a bee orchid.. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go and when?

Mick
Old Saturday 9th June 2012, 17:10   #193
IJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name Mickar View Post
For the last several years I have tried to find Bee Orchids in this area and have been to various sites where they are said to occur. Today I have seen Common Spotted, Pyramidal, Common Twayblade, Greater Butterfly, Monkey, Fly and Fragrant Orchids(?) and White Helleborine at various NRs not too far away... but not a sniff of a bee orchid.. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go and when?

Mick
They do grow at the monkey site along the top path in previous years. You dont see many there though.
Old Sunday 10th June 2012, 19:15   #194
JTweedie

I'm not knowledgeable about plants at all, but I spent a week in Shetland last week and someone I was with did know what we were seeing. Lots and lots and lots of Early Purples in many locations. There were one or two other species which I can't remember what they were, but I got some photos of Frog Orchids at Keen of Hamar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frog Orchid.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	389554  Click image for larger version

Name:	Frog Orchid 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	389555  Click image for larger version

Name:	Frog Orchid 3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	389556  
Old Monday 11th June 2012, 12:22   #195
Dave Pearson

Lesser Butterfly

In the New Forest near Holmsley, some twenty spikes coming in to flower. Also, Southern Marsh and Heath Spotted there.

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LesserButterflyOrchid.jpg
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	389669  Click image for larger version

Name:	LesserButterflyOrchid1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	389670  
Old Monday 11th June 2012, 14:05   #196
Micky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTweedie View Post
I'm not knowledgeable about plants at all, but I spent a week in Shetland last week and someone I was with did know what we were seeing. Lots and lots and lots of Early Purples in many locations. There were one or two other species which I can't remember what they were, but I got some photos of Frog Orchids at Keen of Hamar.
Hi JTweedie,

many of the Orchids you will have seen on the Keen of Hamar (and around Shetland) will have been Northern Marsh and Heath Spotted. Most, if not all of the Early Purple's will have gone over. Best site for them is at the Keen of Hamar, as you go up to the gate on the Keen proper the fence runs up the hill they are quite close to the entrance. This is one of (if not the only site in the county). There are also Early Marsh there and plenty of hybrids! Common Spotted can also be found on Unst, Bog on Yell (although not yet) and Heath Fragrant in July too.

Hope you had a great time, the KOH, especially is one of my favourite places,

cheers,

Micky.

Last edited by Micky : Monday 11th June 2012 at 14:06. Reason: Spelling
Old Monday 11th June 2012, 18:27   #197
JTweedie

Hi Micky,

I had a great time there, I had travelled all over Shetland and got to see many plants I've never seen before (as well as birds and some mammals).

I also saw the Shetland Mouse-ear (Edmonston's Chickweed), Northern Rock-cress and others at Keen of Hamar; oysterplant at Urafirth. The Early Purples I saw all over, especially in the north east of Unst around Skaw and Norwick, on Fetlar, but also in some other areas too.
Old Monday 11th June 2012, 21:09   #198
IJS

I went to both a local marsh and ancient woodland yesterday in search or orchids (what a surprise...) and it was nicely successful.

Started off at a local marsh in search of southern marsh orchids. I recent years the site has held 50+ orchids. Unfortunately this year I could only find 3 small southerns. Not sure why, maybe due the drought we have had?

On to a local ancient woodland which gave 5 orchid species:

early purple orchid - just!
twayblade
common spotted
greater butterfly
bee

I had heard that there was 20+ greater butterflys but could only find 3.
Common spotted were also down compared to recent years.
I was very surprised to find bee orchids growing there. Manged to find 4 plants growing by the side of a track. Didnt seem to be great habitat for them but they had flowered well.

All in all a good orchid hunt!

Ian
Old Monday 11th June 2012, 21:28   #199
rmielcarek

Spotted orchids - Common vs Heath

Is it just me or does anyone else find that individuals in these two species can look identical?

The first (left hand) picture shows a plant I found today - although the flower looks like Common Spotted it was growing right in the middle of a patch of about 300 Heath Spotted so I suspect it's actually a Heath.

The right hand picture was taken last year, in the middle of a colony of about a thousand Common Spotted. Despite looking like a Heath I suspect that's probably a Common.

Rich M
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SNV30530.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	389786  Click image for larger version

Name:	SNV38826.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	389787  
Old Tuesday 12th June 2012, 02:41   #200
the young hunter

Saw lots of orchids this weekend in mid-Wales. Firstly on Saturday, I tried a site for Small White orchid, but despite assurances by the warden of two flowering plants, we saw nothing even after 3 hours of staring at every square inch of meadow! (or so we thought). Plenty of Heath Fragrants and Heath Spotted at the site with one Greater Butterfly in bud.
Later on, we dropped in at Rhos Fullbrook just outside Tregaron for Lesser Butterflys. Again, lots of Heath Spotted but only one slug-munched Lesser Butterfly hidden amongst the tussocks.
The next day, an afternoon stroll at Ynyslas NNR was rewarding with the typical display of Early-marsh (coccinea) and Northern Marsh (subsp. cambrensis - though I'm still dubious about its status).
Finally (today), armed with better directions, we headed back to the Small White site on the way back from Aberystwyth and this time struck lucky - surely one of only a handful of these now critically endangered Welsh plants.

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4842.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	389824  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4849.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	389825  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4822.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	389826  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4890.JPG
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	389827  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4672.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	389828  

Last edited by the young hunter : Tuesday 12th June 2012 at 02:50.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: