Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 09:17   #1
Juan Varela

Artists Scam

As you all may now there's an increase of artist scam in the web. I've just received a mail from one of this scammers. The man pretended to be a client interested in buying three (no less!) of my paintings. The weird thing is that he was reluctant to use Paypal or credit card for payment and didn't want to receive the artwork by Fedex or UPS. Instead he offered a Money Order or a cheque and a "reliable" courier that he will send to pick up the parcel. He said he lived in Essex but his English was awful.
I answer him that I only accept bank transfers or paypal and that I'll send the pieces via Fedex and I didn't hear from him anymore.
I also glooged the phone number he gave and it is associated with a lottery scam.
The links below gives full information about scammers, the way to recognize them and a list os some of the names they use. The web of Artist for Conservation, if you are member, gives also advice
Please be careful
http://www.kathleenmcmahon.com/info/scammer-names.html
http://stopartscams.blogspot.com.es
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 12:39   #2
birdboybowley

Cheers Juan....all I ever get through my site are people flogging Louis Vitton handbags! They're very nice apparently

Edit: just checked my inbox and now I can get cheap Adidas, Nike Air Max or Jordan trainers now too.....oh joy, lucky me!

www.adambowleyart.com

Last edited by birdboybowley : Monday 27th August 2012 at 12:41.

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th August 2012, 17:53   #3
Juan Varela

That's because they haven't yet find your site and your great artwork! Give them time.
On another matter, I wonder why do I receive so many offers to enlarge my ### (how on earth do they get such information!!
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 18:33   #4
timwootton

Sounds like you lads get all the fun! I don't get anything through my blog, except maybe the one or two comments from 'followers'.
regarding the scamming 'art buyers' - as with any potential customer (unless they are people I already know) it's a straight forward PayPal transaction or nothing prior to dispatch. I'd rather miss out on a sale than have a piece or work disappear :)
Thanks for the heads-up Juan.
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 19:14   #5
Juan Varela

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
Sounds like you lads get all the fun! I don't get anything through my blog, except maybe the one or two comments from 'followers'.
regarding the scamming 'art buyers' - as with any potential customer (unless they are people I already know) it's a straight forward PayPal transaction or nothing prior to dispatch. I'd rather miss out on a sale than have a piece or work disappear :)
Thanks for the heads-up Juan.
You're right Tim, but believe it or not one too many artists have been fooled with this. The scammers have counterfeited cheques and false Paypal URL that redirects you to another page. You think that you've got the money but you don't. In some cases they've even stolen some money! (see the mentioned sites)
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 19:44   #6
birdboybowley

I always use bank transfers, and again, nothing is sent to the purchaser until I know the money's in my account!!

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th August 2012, 20:34   #7
Jos Stratford
Back again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboybowley View Post
I always use bank transfers, and again, nothing is sent to the purchaser until I know the money's in my account!!
Darn, there goes my Kruger hornbills to hang upon my wall, had hopes you'd send it on promise that I'd attach the dosh to a passing pigeon to wing its way to you (probably via a falcon nest somewhere).

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th August 2012, 22:06   #8
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboybowley View Post
Only trouble with bamk transfers is the amount of info you need to provide the sender - way too much for my liking (especially overseas buyers). Anyway - if it's what you prefer, then that's ok.
Oi Jos - that reminds me . . . . . .
Old Tuesday 28th August 2012, 03:42   #9
Segami21

You gotta love these people. My god, if they they put a fraction of the time that they use to scam people, into doing somthing positive they would probably be millionaires
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: