Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 17th August 2012, 14:30   #1
buzzard12

Bags for fieldwork

Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys are carrying your pecils, pens, paints and pads in..

Up till now Ive been stuffing everything into a lowepro, pockets with the scope and camera. Want to try find a bag to carry an A3 and A4 sketch pad around, some pencils, pens, watercolour and water. Not a heavy load, though the A3 means there is a size requirement...
Old Saturday 18th August 2012, 20:42   #2
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12 View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys are carrying your pecils, pens, paints and pads in..

Up till now Ive been stuffing everything into a lowepro, pockets with the scope and camera. Want to try find a bag to carry an A3 and A4 sketch pad around, some pencils, pens, watercolour and water. Not a heavy load, though the A3 means there is a size requirement...

Just an L.L. Bean daypack for me. It has side pockets that I use for small sketchpads, mosquito repellent, etc., a zip front pocket for small watercolor set, brushes, etc., and a main compartment for larger sketchbooks, my scope, camera, etc. Never too heavy until the scope goes in..............I finally found that this was the best setup for me. Also has room for light rain jacket, lunch...

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 19th August 2012, 09:39   #3
Andrew H

I have a small shoulder bag, that I brought in a Hightstreet outlet, very cheap price. Its camo colour and is big enough for a A4 sketch pad, watercolour set, brushes, pencils, water bottle, and small scope.. I carry the camera and 'long lens' on its tripod.
Old Tuesday 28th August 2012, 21:33   #4
RuislipMG

on the seabird drawing course i attended bags ranged from BIG rucksacks to small shoulder bags army style and darren woodheads AO folding portfolio
john busby had his stuff in what i think was a map case over his shoulder which was waterproof , i have an art satchell 7 from most art shops the grey one
im also on a mission to find the perfect bag but am getting used to my grey bag

Visit my Birding Fieldsketch Blog @ http://fieldsketching.blogspot.com
Old Tuesday 28th August 2012, 23:03   #5
timwootton

Rucksack/stool for me, mate - got to rest me old bones, y'know. Maybe we should ressurrect the old 'field sketching kit' thread - always a classic, that one :)
Old Wednesday 29th August 2012, 21:19   #6
RuislipMG

I asked Bruce pearson if he still used the box he invented for birdscapes said he just useds a bag and seat and puts stuff on the ground - good enough for him more than good enough for me looking forward to his exhibition in nov and the swla as well

Visit my Birding Fieldsketch Blog @ http://fieldsketching.blogspot.com
Old Saturday 1st September 2012, 09:44   #7
ARTHUR BISHOP

Hi Alan,
I found this game bag handy its roomy. An A-3 pad + plenty more as you can see.
arthur
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1050169.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	402426  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 1st September 2012, 18:52   #8
Gill Osborne

Arthur, you're a genius! I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a canvas-type bag to hold my sketchpads and pencils etc when out birding yet drew a blank. Just typed 'game bag' into ebay and found HUNDREDS!!!!!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 2nd September 2012, 10:04   #9
colonelboris
Right way up again

I just bought a Lowepro Fastpack 350 AW (VC, MBE, DSO(bar), etc) and apart from fitting all of my camera gear, there's plenty of room for an A4 sketchpad in the laptop pouch and tons of pockets and space for more gear in the top half. I can get all my gear for photography, work and drawing in the one bag *and* it fits inside Queasyjet's harsh hand baggage restrictions.
Weighs a ton with all that lot in there, especially my brick of a laptop (plus the coal to keep it running).

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: