Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 18th August 2012, 17:48   #1
trev s4000

Samyang 500mm f8 Lens for Samsung GX-20 GX20 GX-10 GX10

Hi All,
I have a Samsung Gx1l, (Rebadged Pentax) and i have been looking at getting one of theses lenses, Have you ever tried one? how did you get on? do you have any pictures you can show from this lens? look forward to your comments, Trev
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samyang-50...ht_5943wt_1042
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 04:37   #2
eastwood

There are 2 types of Samyang 500 f8 lens - one mirror (reflex) and one conventional pre-set. This one looks like the latter. I have no experience in using any of them, but you can see how people comment them in the web sites. one example is this
http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripod...s-forum/00Dszz
Good lucky.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 24th August 2012, 08:21   #3
Wildmoreway

The add looks a bit contradictory as it says that the T-mount is for a Nikon, it also says that the lens will not auto focus because it has an apature less than f6 when in fact for obvious reason the lens is a manual focus lens. Going back a few years when I had a Canon 400D I did buy a Tokina 500mm mirrro lens, it was rubbish. I do though have a Minolta 500 mm mirror lens which is autofocus and has given some reasonable results on my Sonys, it is still very much hit and miss though.

Last edited by Wildmoreway : Friday 24th August 2012 at 08:24.
Old Monday 27th August 2012, 15:21   #4
trev s4000

Hi Guy's, thanks for your comments, I think i will save some pennies, wait and get something more suitable and better quality. Best Regards, Trev.
Old Tuesday 28th August 2012, 16:00   #5
ariban

Samyang

Samyang probably has an f6.3 mirror too. Saw a thread on preview - pentax slr talk and the results were not that bad.. Human subjects though.

Arijit
Old Tuesday 28th August 2012, 22:50   #6
geordiebeginner

I used to work in a camera shop and we had a couple of these come in from time to time and by and large they are rubbish. The coating on the lens is of very poor quality and as a previous poster has commented they are of the pre set variety.

For those not old enough to remember a pre set lens is focused at full aperture (to allow as much light in as possible), then manually stopped down to the actual taking aperture as opposed to a modern lens which stops down automatically. Given these lenses tend to have a maximum aperture of some f6.3 or even slower the user has to use them wide open to achieve any kind of fast shutter speed which reduces image quality even more: lenses work best when used at 2-3 stops below maximum aperture when more of the center portion of the lens is used. In addition you will lose multi pattern metering etc and will be relying on center weighted or spot.

If you can save your pennies you may well be able to find a second hand bargain at somewhere like ffordes in Scotland (www.ffordes.com).

If you are on a tighter budget then I would suggest looking for a second hand mirror lens or possibly a longer zoom (100-300 etc) with a 1.4 or 2x converter. You will have to focus manually and the image quality will be reduced slightly-depending on quality of lens and converter but still much better than the Samyang. This will also allow you to keep the Canon metering system.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by geordiebeginner : Tuesday 28th August 2012 at 22:54.
Old Saturday 8th September 2012, 14:48   #7
trev s4000

Hi Guys thanks for your comments, i already have a Falcon 500 mirror lens here is a link to an image taken with it http://api.ning.com/files/SW-3YK3T28....jpg?width=750 i would like your comments about this picture, Regards Trev
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: