Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Tuesday 16th October 2012, 17:43   #1451
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

I don't know how you manage to get those lines where they are (I know, I've said it a million times before). Considering the excitement you must have felt, i'd have been a wreck trying to get a line on paper - today I had a little scribble at a group of red kites that passed over me - what a mess they were, partly because I was supposed to be counting woodpigeons, but mostly because that's what happens when I sketch flying birds!
Old Thursday 18th October 2012, 13:23   #1452
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by oivind egeland View Post
Great sketchwork here! It's a real challenge to draw migrating raptors, I tried it in Tarifa in March. I found that it presented me with two problems - it required a tremendous drawing speed, and I always felt that I was missing out on the action when I focused on one single bird. You've done a great job here, especially considering the numbers of birds passing!
Just got back from watching migrating raptors, among others, in Cape May. I spent a few hours one day trying to capture them as the dipped and rose, shot by and turned sharply. It was exhilarating to watch and almost impossible to get down. These drawings are an inspiration, not that similar ones from you and others weren't in my mind as I tried to sketch.

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 18th October 2012, 18:47   #1453
colleenc

just awesome how you have captured the subtle changes of shape in the outline...what powers of observation to see it and masterful skills to get the hand to put it down...you are amazing

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 25th October 2012, 13:51   #1454
buzzard12

Just back from a five day trip to Landsort, which was quite incredible. What a place to go birding, involved in finding or found the following...
Dusky Warbler, Richards Pipit, Ring Ouzel(several), Golden Eagle(2nd Calender), Kittiwake(very rare on baltic coast), Shore Lark(several), Woodlark(4), a late Tree Pipit, a siberian 'tristus' Chiffchaff and a host of other birds. Heavy passage of passerines and seabirds, a huge passage of nearly 11,000 geese on October 23rd will live long in the memory...

There was a lot to see and I was birding actively, though a few things demanded I stop a sketch...

Shore Lark was one such spcies..one of the very best birds in europe. Remarkable shape shifters as regards the black markings on the head and upper breast..

Also managed a few snaps and even some nice sound recordings of these feeding birds and a couple overhead migrating..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l sl1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	411136  Click image for larger version

Name:	l sl2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	411137  Click image for larger version

Name:	l sl3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	411138  
Old Thursday 25th October 2012, 13:58   #1455
buzzard12

A big Great Grey Shrike here, quickly sketched against the light...

A light pencil sketch of an exhausted Sparrowhawk..

A 1st calender male Ring Ouzel. An impossibly beuatiful thrush, wit stunning scalled breast and flanks, diffuse 'orange slice' on the breast, pale secondary panel and edges to remiges. Sadly, not sound recorded, love the call. Not as rare as some of the species seen, but very much a retina expander...

Blog updated with diaries and species seen, though still have to add a lot of photos and the vast bulk of the sound recordings..

Link here to a recording of the Richard's Pipit that flew past four of us on the morning of October 23rd...
http://www.xeno-canto.org/111774
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l ggs.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	411139  Click image for larger version

Name:	l sprawk.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	411141  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1393.JPG.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	411142  

Last edited by buzzard12 : Thursday 25th October 2012 at 14:38.
Old Thursday 25th October 2012, 22:27   #1456
Bigshent
Biddulph Birder

Sketch pad, Sound Recorder, Camera and optics do you take a barrow with you Excellent Shorelarks
Old Friday 26th October 2012, 12:54   #1457
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshent View Post
Sketch pad, Sound Recorder, Camera and optics do you take a barrow with you Excellent Shorelarks
You manage to do a lot on your trips but that must make them all the more rewarding. Lovely drawings as usual.

Old Friday 26th October 2012, 23:10   #1458
timwootton

top class birding notes, top class artwork - the best!
Old Tuesday 30th October 2012, 15:48   #1459
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

ouch, those shorelarks, they hurt! Haven't seen any for 14 years! Beautiful handling, soft birds with calligraphic masks.
Old Sunday 11th November 2012, 00:22   #1460
cjoakley

absolutely first rate! Field sketches are stunning...
Old Thursday 15th November 2012, 21:40   #1461
buzzard12

Well, it's been quite some years since my first post on this thread, I vaguely remember putting up a few black Biro sketches, a few herons I think. I had no idea it would run so long, have so many replies, words of encouragment, humor, constructive critisizms etc. Most remarkably, it led to me getting to know many of you here, in birdforum cyberspace, and led to the establishment of what I regard now as friendships between those of a kindred mindset...
Many thanks to you all, my profound thanks indeed...

As you may have guessed I'm going to discontinue this thread. It's been a blast, but I feel it has run its course. It will have to stand as a monument to many worn out bic ballpoints. I feel it is time to move on and adjust my position a little, branch out and dedicate more time to colour work. The field observation will always be there an will remain an integral part of my process. I have finally committed to a small studio space here in Stockholm and will be spending the coming months destroying it with paint. There will perhaps be a new thread in due course, perhaps a wrestle with a canvas or two can be resolved here yet again...
Old Thursday 15th November 2012, 21:52   #1462
Oskar Moilanen

I've been browsing through this thread a bit, all I can say is I'm looking forward to your work with colours. There is so much excellent material here, this thread will serve as a rememberance to all of these sketches.
Old Thursday 15th November 2012, 21:54   #1463
colleenc

Thumbs up

and a grand monument it is! I've learned so much from it. Many well wishes for you in the new space....You are surley going to take flight now with your unique work. Dont be long starting a new one...yes this is a special place in cyberspace and you add so much to it.

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

Old Thursday 15th November 2012, 21:57   #1464
colleenc

BTW the first heron is still a beautiful tone poem of line and value

Old Sunday 18th November 2012, 23:21   #1465
timwootton

Well said, Alan. This thread was the first one I started following with any kind of dedication and it really has become quite monumental in 'our' forum. I've said it umpteen times, but I would NEVER have progressed as an artist without the constant encouragement, support and good humour that dwells down here, and THIS thread was the spark for me, and remains (remained) a bright beacon of illumination.
It's a sad day - and it's a happy day, because maybe it heralds the dawn of you really challenging yourself with the many and varied aspects of paint and colour - something you have had great success with whenever you've given it a shot. More power to your elbow (you'll need it) and, when the time is right, fire up that new techni-colour thread. Good luck in the new studio!!!!
Old Monday 19th November 2012, 18:45   #1466
ed keeble

very best of luck with the branching out: we all have favourites from here no doubt: I remember three flying Knots of yours waaaaay back that were a revelation

it must be a + that the blog-like frenzy of the threads on this sub-forum a few years ago has turned into something slightly less frantic: means that people are finding themselves and a wider audience for what they do

but do keep a home fire burning of some sort on here!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 19th November 2012, 21:03   #1467
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed keeble View Post
very best of luck with the branching out: we all have favourites from here no doubt: I remember three flying Knots of yours waaaaay back that were a revelation

it must be a + that the blog-like frenzy of the threads on this sub-forum a few years ago has turned into something slightly less frantic: means that people are finding themselves and a wider audience for what they do

but do keep a home fire burning of some sort on here!
It's been a great pleasure to see your work Alan, and as Ed says sometimes a revelation as well. Your work is always an inspiration. To quote Ed again 'do keep a home fire of some sort burning here.'

Old Tuesday 20th November 2012, 11:00   #1468
buzzard12

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaryVSong View Post
It's been a great pleasure to see your work Alan, and as Ed says sometimes a revelation as well. Your work is always an inspiration. To quote Ed again 'do keep a home fire of some sort burning here.'
Many thanks all, I will indeed start a new thread in time, will need the feedback as I spray paint around.

The studio space needs some work and a little personalizing of my space. In time, I will need a decent drawing desk and chair to replace the basic table and chair there right now. Been carting all the gear across town and now have it all relocated. Hoping to actually get it sorted out/organized this evening and perhaps make a start painting there tomorrow...
It would be very interesting to go forward a year or two in time a view this workspace and it's evolution.
Anyhow, I'm very much looking forward to the new challenge ahead...
Old Tuesday 20th November 2012, 12:09   #1469
Bigshent
Biddulph Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard12 View Post
Many thanks all, I will indeed start a new thread in time, will need the feedback as I spray paint around.

The studio space needs some work and a little personalizing of my space. In time, I will need a decent drawing desk and chair to replace the basic table and chair there right now. Been carting all the gear across town and now have it all relocated. Hoping to actually get it sorted out/organized this evening and perhaps make a start painting there tomorrow...
It would be very interesting to go forward a year or two in time a view this workspace and it's evolution.
Anyhow, I'm very much looking forward to the new challenge ahead...
I cant wait for the new thread. Whilst im a newby around these parts I have taken the time to look through this one from page one right to the end. Always impresses me as well as your blog
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: