Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 20th February 2013, 05:27   #1
cjoakley

Why do you buy Bird Art...

Just wondering if any of the bird art owners and collectors who visit this section of the forum would be willing to share what motivates them to buy bird art?

I thought it might prove interesting to discover whether the actual reasons people have for buying bird art bear any relation to what I think their reasons are?

...obviously some of us will be both buyers and artists but whatever the case - please feel free to chime in.

I'll start off the topic by saying that whether I'm creating or buying bird art - I'm seeking to make that same connection with the bird that I experience when I'm birdwatching, sketching and taking photos...sounds simplistic put like that but for me it's true nonetheless.

Anyone else?
Old Monday 25th February 2013, 00:57   #2
cjoakley

thanks everyonel - the response was totally overwhelming!
Old Monday 25th February 2013, 08:08   #3
Bigshent
Biddulph Birder

Perhaps artists are tight with the pennies and cents. If I could afford to buy art all it would need is the wow factor. Many artists work on here achieve that with birds i have never come in contact with. Im not the bigest fan of total realism I like to see it been done with paints or pencil.
Old Monday 25th February 2013, 08:22   #4
timwootton

Sorry Chris - your post seemed to be asking why buyers buy art. I'm not one, so could only speak from a perspective of what I think other people may feel. I suspect the reason for minimal response here in the 'practitioners' area is most folk who are reading this are in the same boat . . . and, if my sales are anything to go by over the past couple of years, NO-ONE's buying art - not mine, anyway :)
Old Monday 25th February 2013, 09:01   #5
ARTHUR BISHOP

I agree with you Tim, at the moment the frames are worth more than the pic's.(not yours though! speaking personaly now)
I think buying as always in the eye of the beholder, unless they can see a profit by investing. its a fact that the money is tight for everyone at the moment.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 25th February 2013, 13:42   #6
birdboybowley

Agree wholeheartedly with Tim and Arthur!

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 25th February 2013, 13:51   #7
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
Sorry Chris - your post seemed to be asking why buyers buy art. I'm not one, so could only speak from a perspective of what I think other people may feel. I suspect the reason for minimal response here in the 'practitioners' area is most folk who are reading this are in the same boat . . . and, if my sales are anything to go by over the past couple of years, NO-ONE's buying art - not mine, anyway :)
I didn't respond for same reason as Tim and others - I'm not in the 'art buyer' camp. Not that I wouldn't love to be. But at the moment it's very hard to justify the expense of buying what I'd like. And then if I did I'd still have to convince my wife!!

I belong to a small coop gallery and the lack of sales is causing no end of problems there. Members inlcuding myself are getting unhappy about all the time that it requires when few or no sales result from all the work we put into it. Just a bad time for artists right now I think, unless you're one of those people who sell for millions.

If I did buy art it most likely would be for art that makes me feel as excited and happy to be alive as being out on a sunny spring morning as migration begins. I've seen a fair amount of art that does that.

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: